Your favorite Massachusetts beach?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCLifestyleStaff. Show BDCLifestyleStaff's posts

Your favorite Massachusetts beach?

"First were the Montagues and the Capulets. Then came the Hatfields and McCoys. Here, we have the North Shore and Cape Cod at odds over which has the better beaches," Globe Staff writer Sam notes in his recent article. "Each camp knows with a moral certainty that its beaches run rings around the other’s. There is no sandy middle ground here."

What's your take?  Where are the best beaches in Massachusetts - the North Shore, South Shore, or the Cape?  Has your family always gone to the same beach?  Have you ever crossed the line from North to South? Tell us about your favorite(s).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TTD714. Show TTD714's posts

Re: Your favorite Massachusetts beach?

There is nothing to discuss.   The North Shore beaches are COLD, the Capes are WARM.  Not to mention nicer people.   Hampton is become the dominican reublic, puerto Rico and Mexico all in one,  and they dont pick up there trash.   Its disgusting. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from reillyfactor. Show reillyfactor's posts

As long as there is no Oil on them Who cares..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelleygirl65. Show kelleygirl65's posts

With the beautiful summer we're having the water on the North Shore has been delightful...and there are NO greenheads at Good Harbor.  It is an absolutely gorgeous beach all year round. I love Cape Cod, but I live at Good Harbor. It is a truly a beautiful palce.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mtrplato2. Show mtrplato2's posts

This must be a discussion for "Second Place" because the Very Best beaches are on the South Shore!! Duxbury Beach, Plymouth Beach and Burke's Beach!! Everyplace else is runner up!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Definitely "The Singing Beach" in Manchester, MA. Only problem is, one has to get there early - or there will be no spots available. We go there off-season as well and it is still gorgeous.
    - Pingo

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from parisdice. Show parisdice's posts

I grew up in SE Mass always reading The Globe or Herald speaking about how great the beaches was up North. I loved the beaches that I went to but always imagined that the Northshore beaches was amazing..I joined the military and travelled the world also seeing great beaches in Europe,Africa,Med,Persian & Indian Gulfs, Indonesia,South America & Carib....It wasn't until 91 when I returned that I finally went to North Shore Beaches did I realize they are okay....but NONE of them are really beaches like Horseneck,Onset,P-Town,etc Hampton is not a beach it is a shore.....the reason why these so-called places are so famous is they are closer to DENSE populated areas....If you produced arial video of all the beaches in MA the SouthCoast,South Shore & The Cape would win hands down because they are actually beaches....your opinions are not based on equal info it is based on population density and proximity to it....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kate0830. Show Kate0830's posts

Mayflower, Chapin and Corporation Beaches in Dennis - in that order
    Singing Beach is close to perfection on a weekday.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from FearlessLdr. Show FearlessLdr's posts

Silver Shell in Marion or Singing Beach in Manchester-By-The-Sea. Both are wonderful

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MPO. Show MPO's posts

Cape Beaches: Upper Cape = a little crowded, Mid Cape = very nice, Lower Cape = perfect North Shore Beaches: Hampton Beach = very crowded, but fun (I realize this is in NH), Crane’s Beach = very nice. They’re all good in their own unique ways!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from noey32. Show noey32's posts

In Response to Re: Your favorite Massachusetts beach?:
    As long as there is no Oil on them Who cares..
    Posted by reillyfactor

Ain't that the truth.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from heliossunchild. Show heliossunchild's posts

Beach? What is that? I am too busy WORKING to know of such words! At least I'm happy to be working, I guess...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from STEVEBOSTON2000. Show STEVEBOSTON2000's posts

Mayflower beach is by far the best on the harbor side with Nauset on the Atlantic side.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bevtown18. Show bevtown18's posts

Growing up on the North Shore, I have my loyalties to Good Harbor in Gloucester and Singing Beach in Manchester. However, the Cape is beautiful, but not realistic for someone who only has a day here and there to spend at the beach.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sail123. Show sail123's posts

considering the fact that the sharks have already come to the cape... i'll take the north shore!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ridley-. Show Ridley-'s posts

I'd say the lack of traffic and New Yorkers is a major plus for North Shore beaches.

Give me Wingaersheek or Crane's any day.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MassRN. Show MassRN's posts

Why was the South Shore left out???  Duxbury Beach, Plymouth Beaches, Marshfield Beaches????  Odd that they would leave the entire South Shore out.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cmister. Show cmister's posts

Cranes Beach stinks. Good Harbor is a hundred times better. Awesome waves, warm water, beautiful views. Sorry but Good Harbor beats almost every Cape beach hands done. One thing the Globe for got to mention is it will take you half a day to drive to Cape beaches while it takes 40 minutes to get to Good Harbor.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from gcugg. Show gcugg's posts

I've been to both north shore and south shore. The best beaches I feel are in Dennis on the cape.

Sesuit Harbor and Cold Storgage (at low tide even better).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from batoutofhell. Show batoutofhell's posts

What a waste!
    If you were truly interested in doing a comparison, you would have concentrated on more than two beaches in the areas.
    While I don't know much about South Shore beaches, in the North, besides Crane Beach and Singing Beach (named for the "granular" sand that squeaks - or "sings" - under your feet), the North Shore is also home to one of the largest beaches, Good Harbor, which also features waves often big enough to surf, and is home to hobbyist kite flying - even in winter! Then there is Wingaersheek Beach, which features dunes, a tidal pool and a great low tide walk that goes far, far out - a great walk.
    That's just the other top two.
    Instead of wasting time on several photos of the same beach, why not feature more beaches? I mean, duh!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbg1. Show dbg1's posts

Easy...the best beach is the one that is easiest to get to.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ManOCapeAnn. Show ManOCapeAnn's posts

Cape Cod's lovely. But that drive, and those bridges. Becomes a commute-type slog.

Up north, Crane is incomparable, especially if you're a Trustees supporting member from close by (or an Ipswich resident) and you can get there early and park free. Weekdays, off-season, fantastic. Dune walk is beautiful year-round.

Or try Plum Island in Newburyport. Six miles of refuge to walk. Legendary surfcasting. Sand's a little granular and you'd better be a strong swimmer (bottom drops away fast, and waves can pound).

And everyone's right about Good Harbor. Nice waves for bodysurfing.

Yeah, I'll take the north.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Honebone. Show Honebone's posts

They are all good

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jssssb1. Show jssssb1's posts

Sandy beach in Cohasset is the best. Only for townies. No riff raff or smelly, ugly people. Kept pristine.

Sections
Shortcuts