Are you a woman taking St. John's Wort?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Are you a woman taking St. John's Wort?

In Response to Re: Are you a woman taking St. John's Wort?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Are you a woman taking St. John's Wort? : A D&C is a medical procedure. It is very often given to women who WANTED to be pregnant but had a miscarriage and need the procedure to ensure that everything that miscarried [for lack of a better term] did not remain behind in the utereus b/c it could cause serious health problems for the woman. As a woman who has had a m/c I take offense at your attempt to use this as an example of an "unintended pregnancy" side effect. It is a medical treatment that is often medically necessary. I don't know what your problem is, but your posts make no sense.  It is absolutely vital that a woman who is taking birth control for the purpose of preventing  pregnancy know the consequences of taking certain other medication or supplements.  That information is often NOT in the pamphlets that comes w/ the BCP packets. I make a point of telling the doctor's office every single thing I take when I visit, but rarely does the nurse who takes the initial info and vital signs write this down. I have had to repeat it to the doctor so that they write it in my charts.  If you have even medical professionals who think that supplements and vitamins are 'medicine' and therefore does not need to be included in a medical chart, how can you think that not sharing this inforamtion is a good idea?  And the stuff I take is not that exciting - vitamin B, E, Fish Oil and calcium.  If you are taking anythng more exotic, it could most certainly have unintended conseqences.    
    Posted by ALF72[/QUOTE]

I guess more people feel like we should say to someone who gets pregnant because of this, "Well, I KNOW the doctor didn't warn you to NOT take St. John's Wort with this prescription (like he DID warn you about the antibiotics interaction), and I KNOW the birth control company didn't find it necessary to mention it (like it did warn you about using backup while taking antibiotics), and I KNOW it's not in the package insert with your supplement/tea, BUT IT'S YOUR OWN FAULT you're PREGNANT because you didn't go beyond those sources and seek out this obscure interaction."  Paying attention to the warnings your doctor gives you and reading the package inserts for medication should be enough.  In this case it isn't.  I mentioned it. End of story.  Wait, no it turned into a big fight.  Oh, well.  I can only hope there are lurkers out there who are saying, "Thank goodness I didn't get pregnant before I found this out the hard way," and none saying, "Ohhh, that's how it happened..."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

In Response to Re: Are you a woman taking St. John's Wort?:
    [QUOTE]"I don't know what your problem is, but your posts make no sense. It is absolutely vital that a woman who is taking birth control for the purpose of preventing pregnancy know the consequences of taking certain other medication or supplements." Look at Lifestyle discussions "skin care".................
    Posted by RogerTaylor[/QUOTE]

I am familiar w/ that thread.

I still don't see what your point is.  It is vital that a woman know that taking supplements may have unintended consequences when in combination w/ other medication.  Those consequences are often not included in the prescription pamphlet and doctors often do not bring the issue up themselves b/c their staff is taking incomplete notes during intake.

Calling a medical procedure a 'side effect' of an 'unintended pregnancy' is just disgusting.  Particuarly since it is a procedure used most often on women who wanted to get pg but who miscarried.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The only point of the discourse in both of these threads is to point out just how far beyond reason people are willing to go to be disagreeable.  

ETA:  Or, the point might be that sticking "lol" at the end of every disagreeable, nonsensical post doesn't make it cute or any more gracious, helpful, or sensical.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

According to ancient Welsh folklore, if a woman gave birth to an amphibian, it meant she was an adulterer.

In ancient Greece and Rome, the Mysteries of Demeter included ingesting birth control by way of herbs indigenous to the Mediterranean and the Aegean. The Romans and Greeks had a DADT policy on birth control, but Demeter, one of the most important divinities, apparently approved of it to prevent an unwanted pregnancy.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

If you don't see the nurse or medical assistant write things down before the MD comes in, tell him/her to write things down.

In these days of 15 minute visits and harried clinicians, it is up to us as patients to do some of the work.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LIZ6. Show LIZ6's posts

Yikes!  Seems like you can't post anything w/o it turning into a debate.  At any rate, I appreciate the info Kargiver, very helpful! 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Glad it helped someone, Liz, thanks.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Thanks, dog-lady.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Maybe I just should have said that if anyone happens to be taking bc and this herb at the same time you might want to ready the baby's room.

Duh, re medical advice from TV.*  But, the fact is, this is an obscure interaction, and unplanned pregnancy can ruin innocent lives, lead to abortion, etc.  It's good knowledge to have no matter where it comes from.

*From doctoroz.com:  
    I Need Medical Advice. Can Dr. Oz Help?

While the content on the site was prepared to provide accurate information regarding topics related to general and specific health issues, this information has been made available with the express understanding that neither ZoCo, Dr. Oz and/or the other experts on the site, the site itself, nor members of the site are dispensing medical advice and do not intend any of this information to be used for self-diagnosis or treatment. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS ABOUT YOUR HEALTH AND/OR BEFORE STARTING OR STOPPING ANY TREATMENT OR ACTING UPON INFORMATION CONTAINED ON THE SITE, YOU SHOULD CONTACT YOUR OWN PHYSICIAN OR HEALTH-CARE PROVIDER.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Not all unplanned pregnancies are a bad thing, but unplanned and unwanted...  Life goes on and can be great...except for those resented and unloved or aborted, of course.  "Oops, I didn't know about that interaction," wouldn't quite cut it for them.

There can, indeed, be good surprises, but we're talking about bringing a life into the world to a mother who is actively taking pills to prevent it from happening.  I'm sure most of them wouldn't shrug and say, "Well, looky here, what a nice surprise," when that second pink line appears or they wouldn't be taking birth control in the first place.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Seriously? You think that a woman w/ clinical depression who is actively taking birth control to prevent pregnancy will find an unplanned pg to be a happy surprise?  You have completely abandoned reason and thrown common sense out the window just b/c you want to find a way to disagree w/ this post.  A clinically depressed woman is probably the worst candidate for an unplanned pregnancy. Particualry since there are dangers to the fetus with taking RX antidepressants during pregnancy!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I am surprised this thread is still going..! Doglady..I really do think you've either completely missed the point of the original post..or your just trying to keep the conversation going..and being contrary.
    The bottom line is Kar gave excellent advice...raising awareness in general about interactions between the things we put into our bodies is a good thing regardless of whether you agree on what people use or don't use.