Book Smart or Street Smart????

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Book Smart or Street Smart????

A couple of true stories to start....I helped a friend with a parking lot off of Rte 1 in Foxboro for Patriots home games. It was a wooded area (no pavement), dark, a couple of run down vacant buildings - home and garage and NO LIGHTS! The area held a 100+ cars @ $20 each.  The lot next to me was well lit, paved and $20 per car. 

I stopped at a liquor store on a Wednesday night. As I entered I jokingly asked "where is everyone?" to which the 20 something responded "It's just me!". I went to a cooler looking for a particular brand of beer in bottles and couldn't find it.  I asked the clerk if she had it. She replied "I'm not sure, let me take you in the cooler and check"

I can't tell you how many 20 something girls in a car filled with girlfriends wanted to park in MY "un lit" wooded parking lot! (I sent them to the lot next to me that was lit & paved - I denied them parking) The clerk is willing to go into a cooler with a stranger! Is it just me or are these girls exhibiting questionable judgement? What ever happened to being "street smart" - smart, read with a wicked Boston accent - Why don't people acknowledge there surroundings - no lights, night time, dark alley? Heelllooooooo!

I appreciate the trust given me, and nobody has to worry about me. But, I have a daughter and my concern is that someday she will be that girl pulling into an un lit wooded parking lot at night or ask a stranger into a cooler to check stock.

So I ask, street smart or book smart - How important is it to be both? Undecided

and begin.......

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

Re: Book Smart or Street Smart????

I was thinking the same thing at the weekend. Just happened to be walking through North End after a daytrip. Its dark and I walk by a few alleyways while on the main street, one of which is not too well lit and has a woman way down the alleyway on her own on a cellphone. My first thought was "lady, are you nuts?! Putting yourself in danger for a private conversation?", maybe because I would never go down a badly lit alleyway myself. Still, my second thought was "Boston is so safe that women are happy to enter dark alleyways" which was a comforting thought. Ofcourse then I get home to hear about yet another sex attack on the esplanade. Yikes.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

The North End is one of the safest communities in Boston.   Not that I'd endorse going down an alley to talk on a cell phone, but the friends I've had that have lived in the North End have all loved living there; it's safe, and people watch out for one another.  It's a great part of the city.  

The Esplanade?  Not so much.  :(

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

This is a tough one and one of those things that I think depends on a person's life experience and the environment they were brought up in.
    Although sometimes you have a moment where you just aren't thinking..and let your guard down. I know that sometimes I get so focused on whatever the task at hand is that I don't see the big picture...and trust me..I have a very strong sense of self preservation.
    As far as your liquor store clerk situation..she showed bad judgement on a couple of levels. The parking lot story is a little different. People tend to feel safer in groups. Of course...if I had a daughter I would give her different advice. I would want her parked in the well lit parking lot..preferable accompanied by armed security guards at all time..lol

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Well, I'm book smart if you go by my IQ, degree in math, and career in engineering, but none of that helps me like the street smarts my mom instilled in me growing up in a not so nice area of Tampa, FL when I was ages 10 - 15, a very formative time.  Here are some of the lessons I remember her teaching me and carry with me today:

1.  If you're lost don't look lost and vulnerable.  Walk with purpose even if you ARE lost and are scared to death.

2.  Wear reflective or dark sunglasses so people don't know where you're looking.  That way, for instance, if you are lost, you can literally keep your head on straight but be constantly looking out for cues as to where you are (if you're lost) or take note of the stranger on the corner without making an obvious deal about it.  The glasses make avoiding eye contact, an invitation to engagement, simple. 

3.  If your eyes are visible, look "through" people, not at them.

4.  Always check the back seat before getting in the front seat.

5.  Unlock your door to the car no sooner than you have to (if you have a remote thingy).

6. Never be thoroughly distracted.  For instance, do not walk with earphones on or while reading a book, checking email, etc.

7.  If arriving in daylight and planning to leave in the dark, come up with a safe exit plan before you need to leave.  (what that is depends on hour, place, etc.)

8.  If a stranger approaches the car, only let the window down enough for sound to travel between you, no exceptions.

9.  Start your day of travels with enough gas to not be in danger of running out at any time.  Stranded bad.  Stranded at night, worse.  In the same vain, check air in tires, and keep up with regular car maintenance.

10.  Don't trust anyone you don't know by putting yourself in a compromising, safety wise, situation.  Ever.

So, I'd say my IQ has nothing to do with this list and is fairly useless in regard to staying safe.  You don't have to be a genius to think ahead and play it smart...street smart, that is. :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In Response to Re: Book Smart or Street Smart????:
    Well, I'm book smart if you go by my IQ, degree in math, and career in engineering, but none of that helps me like the street smarts my mom instilled in me growing up in a not so nice area of Tampa, FL when I was ages 10 - 15, a very formative time.  Here are some of the lessons I remember her teaching me and carry with me today: 1.  If you're lost don't look lost and vulnerable.  Walk with purpose even if you ARE lost and are scared to death. 2.  Wear reflective or dark sunglasses so people don't know where you're looking.  That way, for instance, if you are lost, you can literally keep your head on straight but be constantly looking out for cues as to where you are (if you're lost) or take note of the stranger on the corner without making an obvious deal about it.  The glasses make avoiding eye contact, an invitation to engagement, simple.  3.  If your eyes are visible, look "through" people, not at them. 4.  Always check the back seat before getting in the front seat. 5.  Unlock your door to the car no sooner than you have to (if you have a remote thingy). 6. Never be thoroughly distracted.  For instance, do not walk with earphones on or while reading a book, checking email, etc. 7.  If arriving in daylight and planning to leave in the dark, come up with a safe exit plan before you need to leave.  (what that is depends on hour, place, etc.) 8.  If a stranger approaches the car, only let the window down enough for sound to travel between you, no exceptions. 9.  Start your day of travels with enough gas to not be in danger of running out at any time.  Stranded bad.  Stranded at night, worse.  In the same vain, check air in tires, and keep up with regular car maintenance. 10.  Don't trust anyone you don't know by putting yourself in a compromising, safety wise, situation.  Ever. So, I'd say my IQ has nothing to do with this list and is fairly useless in regard to staying safe.  You don't have to be a genius to think ahead and play it smart...street smart, that is. :)
    Posted by kargiver

So, if you were a 20 something would you park in a wooded un lit parking lot with a lit paved alternative 50 yards away? If you were the only one working at a liquor store would you tell me? would you take me in the cooler to help me find something???????

Wink

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: Book Smart or Street Smart????:
    In Response to Re: Book Smart or Street Smart???? : So, if you were a 20 something would you park in a wooded un lit parking lot with a lit paved alternative 50 yards away? If you were the only one working at a liquor store would you tell me? would you take me in the cooler to help me find something???????
    Posted by RogerTaylor

Nope, I wouldn't have at any age, but not because I'm book smart, but because my mother taught me better and I agreed with her wisdom and followed it.  Maybe that's where book smart DOES come in.  I was smart enough to understand she was right; I HAD to follow those rules to be safe even if she weren't around to see me do it or not.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I'm sure there's an app for that. If not, then I guess they'll have to wait for one. 

Maybe I watch too many cop dramas, but this is why I did not answer my front door last night when the bell rang at 8.30 pm.  My DH is on a business trip and I'm home alone. The fact that the cat freaked out, did the low slink to the ground and scuttled into the basement when the bell rang did not make me feel much more secure.  I waited 15 minutes, then got up and closed all the downstairs windows [it's warm where I am] and then turned on all exterior lights before peering outside.  The cat came out of hiding a good 30 minutes later.  I think he may be smarter than the teenaged girls. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Your cat is definitely smarter than any teenage girl.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Maldenlady. Show Maldenlady's posts

Yep...that's one of t he great things about having pets.  My experience is with dogs, but I gotta tell ya, you watch a dog's reaction to a stranger, and that *can* clue you in.  I don't know if there's maybe some sort of scent that they perceive as aggressive -- I don't know.  Maybe it's a vibe they get from how their human is reacting.  I don't know.  I had a friend who had an Akita.  Beautiful dog.  When I first met him, he *really* wanted to size me up.  When his Mom (my friend) let him know I was OK, he was fine.

I've worked retail in the past.  I would never had said to someone I didn't know that I was there alone.  Inviting into the back?  No way.  As far as night time parking, I'd much rather hunt around a bit for lighted lot, or at least a lot that's pretty public.  When I've been at meetings late, I've been sure to have cab money, just in case no one else at the meeting was headed towards the T right after. 

Maybe I'm too fastidious about this...but that's only because I'm not all that confident in *how* street smart I am (or am not).   

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

@Maldenlady,

I follow what my Mum did with me - I make sure my daughter always has funds with her that are only to be used for cabs.

"When I've been at meetings late, I've been sure to have cab money, just in case no one else at the meeting was headed towards the T right after."

Yep. 

Sections
Shortcuts