Marriage Counseling Recommendations - Waltham Area

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gizmoe14. Show Gizmoe14's posts

Marriage Counseling Recommendations - Waltham Area

Hello - I'm currently seeking a Therapist for my husband and I to meet with. Does anyone have recommendations in the Waltham, MA area?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Marriage Counseling Recommendations - Waltham Area

Giz, I think you'll be best served by interviewing a few.  There are many different philosophies regarding what a "good marriage" looks like and therapists to match.  Yes, basic communication skills will transcend this, but it will help you the most if you align with the total picture that your therapist holds.  Religion, or the lack thereof, is a huge consideration, as well as how "progressive" or "conservative" their view is of the roles in marriage.

I guess what I'm saying is that what therapist one couple finds to be super helpful and on target another couple might despise.  Start with geographically convenient ones and ask the following:

1.  Do you bring religion into the counseling

2.  Define the ideal role of a wife in 1 or 2 sentences

3. Define the ideal role of a husband in 1 or 2 sentences.

4. Are you more apt to utilize behaviorial or cognitive therapy (research the difference and see what you prefer)

If they refuse to answer, I'd move on.  Pay attention not only to the answers but how they listen and interact with you.  Are they direct?  Transparent?  Or, evasive?  Get a feel for who they are and if you think you and your husband will connect.

And, go into it with both of you understanding that maybe the first one you try might not be the best fit, and that's ok.  Give them three visits and evaluate the match.  

Real change takes time and practice.  Expect to spend 6 months in counseling; find the best match for you.  Good therapists will be happy to recommend a collegue that might fit your needs better than they do so be sure to ask instead of just ditching the whole idea if the first one doesn't turn out to be suited.

Best wishes!

ETA: there are no right or wrong answers to those questions, per se, just use them to gauge how counseling will go with that person.  Listen well, trust your gut.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

If you are planning to use your health insurance, call the #s on your card (mental health) to get a list of providers that are covered under your plan.

Then just google the names and see who appeals to you...

for example    http://www.ratemds.com/filecache/searchResults.jsp?country=0&ddocname=&dgender=&dcity=waltham&sid=20&dspecialty=Psychologist

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Every couple will answer those questions differently for a myriad of reasons; my opinion on any of them is irrelevant.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sandraiu77. Show sandraiu77's posts

Hello my name is sandra from Canada My life is back!!! After 5years of marriage, my husband left me and left me with our two kids. I felt like my life was about to end, and was falling apart. I contacted Dr. Ekaka on his email: ekakaspelltemple@yahoo.com and after I explained to him all my problem. In just 2days, my husband came back to us and show me and my kids much love and apologize for all the pain he have bring to the family. We solved our issues, and we are even happier than before you are the best spell caster Dr. Ekaka, i really appreciate the love spell you castes for me to get the man i ever loved back to my life i will keep sharing more testimonies to people about your good work Thank you once again in case you are in any problem you can contact this man for help he is always there in his temple to help you solve your problem