neighborhood encounter?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from blueballoon. Show blueballoon's posts

neighborhood encounter?

Ok, I've never posted here but was looking for a little friendly advice (mostly from the ladies ;)).  So there's this cute girl that I sometimes see on my way to the bus stop in the morning.  I'm pretty shy and not super chatty at 7:30am most of the times, so I just walk past without saying anything.  I would like to get up the courage to say something and maybe start a short conversation...but maybe this isn't the right place to do it?  Any suggestions/thoughts?

thanks

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukes58. Show lukes58's posts

Re: neighborhood encounter?

well hopefully by "cute little girl" you mean someone close to your own age and in any event legal if you are legal -- make eye contact -- say hello -- just talk to her -- i talk to everyone -- whether i think they are cute or not -- in the grocery checkout line, on the t, wherever -- sit next to her on the bus -- say anything -- you will know by her response what to do next.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from trublusu. Show trublusu's posts

Say good morning and offer to by her a coffee.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Great advice so far.  Let me add that your vulnerability is an asset (if she's as nice as she is cute).  Don't be afraid of a little awkwardness; when sincere it's endearing.  Love the coffee idea.  With a warm smile, you could say something like, "Good morning.  (Let her respond.)  Would you like to get a coffee with me?  (With a little nervous laugh) It's the only way I can put more than a few coherant words together at this hour. <bashful smile>" 

Best wishes!

~kar

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ariesgirl. Show ariesgirl's posts

In Response to Re: neighborhood encounter?:
    [QUOTE]Say good morning and offer to by her a coffee.
    Posted by trublusu[/QUOTE]

If somebody offered to do that for me, i would be forever indebted to them!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ariesgirl. Show ariesgirl's posts

In Response to neighborhood encounter?:
    [QUOTE]Ok, I've never posted here but was looking for a little friendly advice (mostly from the ladies ;)).  So there's this cute girl that I sometimes see on my way to the bus stop in the morning.  I'm pretty shy and not super chatty at 7:30am most of the times, so I just walk past without saying anything.  I would like to get up the courage to say something and maybe start a short conversation...but maybe this isn't the right place to do it?  Any suggestions/thoughts? thanks
    Posted by blueballoon[/QUOTE]

Does she carry a book?  does she listen to an ipod or something?  you could start by asking her how the book is or what kind of music she listens too.  Or, start one of those general conversations about how bad the T runs, how cold it is in the morning or something of that nature.  there's a woman on our bus who is a "serial chatter".  whoever she sits next to she will come up with about 10 topics of conversation whether you want to talk to her or not!  good luck to you and keep us posted

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from trublusu. Show trublusu's posts

Response to Re: neighborhood encounter?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: neighborhood encounter? : If somebody offered to do that for me, i would be forever indebted to them!
    Posted by ariesgirl[/QUOTE] Same here, I'd be flattered, especially on a chilly morning.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from blueballoon. Show blueballoon's posts

No, she is walking her dog and usually looking down at the dog when she passes...so it's harder to do the eye contact thing and say good morning...does that make sense?  I'd almost have to clear my throat or do something to get her to look at me, and then say 'hi, how are ya'...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Sorry, I have to disagree w/ the coffee idea as an opening gambit. It's early, she's never met this guy and is on her way to work.  She's not necessarily going to have time for a coffee, and I wouldn't risk being late for work for someone I just met.  He's setting himself up for failure if he opens w/ asking her to go for coffee the first time he approaches her.  Also, if she's not a morning person, chances are she's going to be half asleep or not in a good mood and won't want to exert herself to chat over coffee w/ a stranger. 

What you should do is catch her eye and smile. If she doesn't look away, walk up to her and say Hi and introduce yourself.  Then chat w/ her on the ride in.  If it goes well, ask her is she wants to meet you a little early the next day or some other day to grab a coffee before getting on the bus.  If it goes well, you know what to do from then on out.  Good luck. 

ETA: so she's not waiting for the bus to go to work.  Compliment the dog.  That will get her to look up.  Then you can say Hi and introduce yourself.  Hi my name is X goes over much better than some silly line.  Good lcuk.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukes58. Show lukes58's posts

my goodness - she's walking her dog -- ask if you can pet the dog -- that's as simple as can be -- ask about the dog

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ariesgirl. Show ariesgirl's posts

[QUOTE]No, she is walking her dog and usually looking down at the dog when she passes...so it's harder to do the eye contact thing and say good morning...does that make sense?  I'd almost have to clear my throat or do something to get her to look at me, and then say 'hi, how are ya'...

bring some dog bones with you! 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ariesgirl. Show ariesgirl's posts

[QUOTE]You've got to be kidding blueballoon.  She has a dog, things just got that much easier!    Say something about the damn dog!  Pet the dog!!  Then say something to her!!!  Jesus Christ Dellarenzia!  You need to grow a pair blue.  Seriously.  Coffee? I'm with ALF, too soon.  Not sure about the doggie treats either,  a stranger giving something to my dog on the street?  No, I don't think that's a good idea right now either.
    Posted by BigWillie2[/QUOTE]

i was joking about that Willie........... yes, the dog is definitely the in - ask what kind it is, how old it is, its a great and relatively safe way to start the conversation.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigWillie2. Show BigWillie2's posts

Hmmm, I'm not sure that was a good joke. I missed it myself and balloon might well try it. 

balloon ask her how old she is.  I'm still looking for #147!  Yes, it's all about me, me, me!  Cool

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ariesgirl. Show ariesgirl's posts

[QUOTE]Hmmm, I'm not sure that was a good joke. I missed it myself and balloon might well try it.  balloon ask her how old she is.  I'm still looking for #147!  Yes, it's all about me, me, me! 

ok, i will admit it, its a little lame if it needs to be explained on paper - this is why i dont go on dates anymore. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ariesgirl. Show ariesgirl's posts

[QUOTE]No, this is exactly why you need to step away from the keyboard and get back out there!

if only it were that easy!  i'd say im on number 50 something maybe

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from trublusu. Show trublusu's posts

Ok, forget the coffee idea, I have a better one. Offer to pick up the doggie poopies for her!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ariesgirl. Show ariesgirl's posts

[QUOTE]Ok, forget the coffee idea, I have a better one. Offer to pick up the doggie poopies for her!
    Posted by trublusu[/QUOTE]

in some countries, that is considered common law marriage.  Note to Willie, this is a joke!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ariesgirl. Show ariesgirl's posts

[QUOTE]Yes!  With your bare hands!  That'll impress the hell out of her. Also a joke, aries!

i think we've scared balloon away - unless he unfortunately has to do work every once in a while........

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from blueballoon. Show blueballoon's posts

I will work the dog angle...hoping to catch her on her afternoon/evening walk next time instead of the rushed morning awkwardness.  I guess if it goes well, I would eventually have to pick up the poops, no?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from trublusu. Show trublusu's posts

Good luck to you, keep us posted!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukes58. Show lukes58's posts

maybe not -- i prefer to walk my dog without my significant other -- its my alone time -- but i like meeting the dog people at the park and what not -- but be nice to the dog -- very nice --

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from blueballoon. Show blueballoon's posts

Yeah, I guess I'm not sure if she's single....but no ring, and I have not seen a guy with her the 20+ times I've seen her walking the dog...both morning and evenings...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ariesgirl. Show ariesgirl's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah, I guess I'm not sure if she's single....but no ring, and I have not seen a guy with her the 20+ times I've seen her walking the dog...both morning and evenings...

blue - i own a dog.  people who are dog owners love to talk about their dogs, trust me.  so i think you will be safe starting up a conversation about the dog and then once she looks at you to talk, try to read some of the body language and receptiveness from her.  that may give you an indication of what she's thinking.  at least its a start.  after that you are on your own!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukes58. Show lukes58's posts

me too -- on owning a dog - as you can see -- from my little picture there -- we like talking about our dogs more than our children

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from trublusu. Show trublusu's posts

Hey people - what's the news of the weekend? Anything exciting happen?