Unreliable Friend

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 5thtry. Show 5thtry's posts

Re: Unreliable Friend

In Response to Unreliable Friend:
    [QUOTE]I have a question. I have a close friend who is a great guy in almost every way.The glaring exception is that he is unreliable. He makes plans to meet all the time, but only follows through about fifty percent of the time. He is fun, funny, smart etc. He would be perfect except for the fact that I can't count on most of what he says. Part of me thinks maybe he is not really interested in our relationship, but the other part thinks that he is just really busy and spread too thin. An example of what I am talking about? This afternoon, we were talking on the phone. All of a sudden he said he had to go and would call me back in a half  hour. That was 4 hours ago. This happens all the time. What would you do?
    Posted by IheartJohn[/QUOTE]

speaking strickly for myself, i do not condone unreliability.  i think it is discourteous.  we all are late once in awhile, something comes up, slips our mind  etc., but being constantly unreliable is a waste of my time and tells me that this person has no respect for me because s/he keeps doing it. & doesn't care about inconveniencing me. so bye bye, aint got the time for you now.

i know your post is more complicated than that. I also know this, it will not stop and you will get angrier and hurt more.  it's easy for someone else to say, but you deserve better, don't put up w his disrespect, that's what it is plain and simple (to me). he gets away w what you allow him to. 

i just scanned thru your post, hope i got the facts correct.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrDiSaia. Show DrDiSaia's posts

Re: Unreliable Friend

In Response to Unreliable Friend:
    [QUOTE]I have a question. I have a close friend who is a great guy in almost every way.The glaring exception is that he is unreliable. He makes plans to meet all the time, but only follows through about fifty percent of the time. He is fun, funny, smart etc. He would be perfect except for the fact that I can't count on most of what he says. Part of me thinks maybe he is not really interested in our relationship, but the other part thinks that he is just really busy and spread too thin. An example of what I am talking about? This afternoon, we were talking on the phone. All of a sudden he said he had to go and would call me back in a half  hour. That was 4 hours ago. This happens all the time. What would you do?
    Posted by IheartJohn[/QUOTE]

I had a best friend like that in high school. Well he really wasn't that bad. He was and is less compulsive than I am.

Much of what you do depends upon whether you can handle the way your friend is being. It took me a long time to really understand that people don't look at things the way I do. Completing every loose end (like the phone call you mentioned) is just not important to some people. This is not disrespect. It is simply the way your friend deals with things. If you can deal with it, you can keep your friend. If not.....