In-Store Credit Cards

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

In-Store Credit Cards

Oh, I am so torn about this.

One the one hand, I know the sales associates get something by way of commission. Since retail pay s**ks, I want them to be able to make a bit more money.

On the other hand, I neither need nor want any more credit cards. Yet, some of the sales associates are so pushy. "Oh, come on, it will just take a moment," after I've turned them down more than once.

Macy's is particularly egregious.

It's a turn off.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: In-Store Credit Cards

Their being paid too little wouldn't inspire me with any guilt about not accepting a store credit card - those things negatively affect your credit score even if you don't use them or always pay them off every month in full because you have more potential to over spend.

Try to say no thank you while not worrying about how pushy or underpaid they are...it's not your fault and there's nothing you can do about it.  Even if you gave them the commission of selling the card they'd still be underpaid and pushy.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Wow, kar, will you be my sister? I love the rational approaches to day-to-day issues that you post here on the boards.

I do worry about the credit score.

So, I will take your advice, and politely say no thank you, even if I have to say it 10 times. With these sales associates spending so many hours on their feet doing what I consider mind-numbing work, I don't want to make their day any harder by being rude. (But neither do I want to cave and apply for the card.)

It may be moot in the coming months. Since I'm considering one of those shopping moratoriums, I may not be in stores much. But I still think I should have the cojones to reject credit card offers without thinking about it, especially in department stores, with their high interest rates.

Interesting hovering and nudging in general doesn't seem to happen food stores, even the high-end ones. I'm happy to put money into the Salvation Army kettle, or purchase a box of Girl Scout Cookies from a young person camped outside the supermarket. I'm not religious and I was never in the Scouts, but to me those are worthy causes, more worthy than adding another card that I don't need to my purse.

Slightly off-topic, I had this really great pharmacist, a solo practitioner, with a daughter in the Girl Scouts. He'd place her cookies for sale on the counter, but never asked any of his customers to purchase them. Some years I'd buy him out and distribute the cookies to my friends or to my daughter's classroom. Other years I'd buy a few boxes only (depending on my budget). But he was a dear professional kind of friend, and treated his customers like gold.

As for the perfume ladies in the department stores, well, they've been there since at least my mother's time, but I do seek another entrance. Some people are naturally gregarious, but I would hate to be 60+, on my feet, trying to spray people all day.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

In Response to In-Store Credit Cards:
    [QUOTE]Oh, I am so torn about this. One the one hand, I know the sales associates get something by way of commission. Since retail pay s**ks, I want them to be able to make a bit more money. On the other hand, I neither need nor want any more credit cards. Yet, some of the sales associates are so pushy. "Oh, come on, it will just take a moment," after I've turned them down more than once. Macy's is particularly egregious. It's a turn off.
    Posted by reindeergirl[/QUOTE]

Note on Macy's:  They require all new employees to open, or at least attempt to open 12 new macy's credit cards within the first 3 months of employment..no one in their right mind is going to open up a new credit card in this economy...they hang the credit requirement over your head and do fire people if they haven't "made credit goal"... 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Laryan, nice to see your post after a long time.
    Re: the Macy's store policy to have their new hires open 12 CC cards in 3 months make me sick to my stomach. Coming from you, I believe this is true. I will never shop at Macy's again. People are desperately looking for work these days -how can a company "strangle" their employees like that.
    Thanks for opening my eyes - Pingo

In Response to Re: In-Store Credit Cards:
    [QUOTE]In Response to In-Store Credit Cards : Note on Macy's:  They require all new employees to open, or at least attempt to open 12 new macy's credit cards within the first 3 months of employment..no one in their right mind is going to open up a new credit card in this economy...they hang the credit requirement over your head and do fire people if they haven't "made credit goal"... 
    Posted by laryan[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

rdg, I didn't check this thread after I posted - missed your sweet comment to me 'til now.  Thanks, Sis!  :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

In Response to Re: In-Store Credit Cards:
    [QUOTE]Laryan, nice to see your post after a long time. Re: the Macy's store policy to have their new hires open 12 CC cards in 3 months make me sick to my stomach. Coming from you, I believe this is true. I will never shop at Macy's again. People are desperately looking for work these days -how can a company "strangle" their employees like that. Thanks for opening my eyes - Pingo In Response to Re: In-Store Credit Cards :
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

I did see alot working @ Macy's regarding their credit cards, and it did open my eyes. 
    I saw people who had both a Macy's credit card & Filene's credit card, just to have the Filene's credit card converted into a 2nd macy's credit card when Macy's took over Filene's.
    A close friend of mine recently had a horrendous experience with her Macy's credit card.  She purchased a coffeemaker online.  She got the bill, promptly paid it in full, they cashed her check, then sent her another bill complete w/late fees...they were saying she didn't pay the bill...despite the fact she had her cancelled check to prove it...  
    Needless to say, alot of people won't be using their Macy's credit card again.