Selling furniture - by owner - help please

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: Selling furniture - by owner - help please

RDG,
    Can you post some pictures? Would help a lot - Pingo

In Response to Selling furniture - by owner - help please:
    I need your help on pricing, please. In anticipation of a (possible) move, and - frankly - needing funds, I've posted some items online (not here). I have a gorgeous hutch, teak, authentically mid-century modern ("Mid-Mod"). for mid-mod, that's considered antique. Danish Modern, which can be authenticated by it's stamp - designer, studio, etc. Good condition - needs a little work, but not too much.  Ebay, where I haven't posted, has similar listings in the $500 - $700, not including shipping. I listed mine for $200, and I'm getting hits, but potential customers are balking at the price. I know bargaining is part of the game, but I'm under-pricing already. Needing the funds, do I give in to a lower price? Or hold off for a buyer who will pay my price? Besides the money, the other part of the equation is that I may have to move in a month or so, and don't want to take a lot of furniture with me. OTOH, it will be a long time before I can replace this beautiful piece. I don't know a lot about decorative arts, but I know something about Danish Modern history. Please help. Half the asking price would pay a significant part of an important bill, and give me "furniture freedom." OTOH, I don't want buyers walking all over me; plus, if I can get a higher price, why not? The buyer would have to bring a 2 or 4 wheeler and a friend to move it. I can't do it, don't have the strength. "It's only furniture" - well, it's not. This is a work of art.
    Posted by reindeergirl

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

image 2141457551-3

image 2141457551-0

image 2141457551-2

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Thank you, pingo.

image 2141457551-1

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

RDG,
    That is a beautiful piece of furniture. I think it is called a Man's Chest. Wish I had room for it.
    I don't think it is antique or vintage, unless it is a designer piece. Furniture loose their price quite quickly. And this piece do not fit very well into the mill-of-the-run American bedroom sets. You need someone, who has similar taste.
    If I were you, I would up the price - then haggle with interested buyers. You may then get the price, you want. If you really need the funds, just sell it to the highest bidder.
    Good luck dear. Sorry to hear, you may have to move. Hope you will be able to sell it for a decent price. - Pingo

ETA: Actually a Gentleman's Chest. LOL

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Hi pingo,

Yes, true, I'm not happy to be parting with it. The only other teak I have is a piece I inherited from my parents, and I will hold on to that as long as possible, and will keep it if I can.

Thank you for identifying the piece as a man's dresser.

I also have a Swedish sewing table that a woman wanted, but, alas, the kitten used it as a scratching post, and the rattan covering on the drawer came off. As these are uncommon in the States, I think I'll keep it and do the repairds.

"If I were you, I would up the price - then haggle with interested buyers. You may then get the price, you want. If you really need the funds, just sell it to the highest bidder."

Oh, great technique!

"Good luck dear. Sorry to hear, you may have to move. Hope you will be able to sell it for a decent price. - Pingo"

I'm going to try and stay in the area. Thank you for your friendly support - and wonderful ideas. Smile Your words mean to much to me.

rdg

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If you were hoping to get $200 you should have priced it at $400 and then come down.  Yes, bargaining is part of the deal no matter how underpriced you start AND people assume there's something wrong with an item when it's too underpriced.  I'd take down your post, wait a couple of weeks, and relist at $400.  Then you'll get what you hope for.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Thanks kar. An excellent idea, and I didn't think of it. I'll try that. I appreciate it, kar.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I hope it works!!  GL, rdg!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

another issue is that IKEA sells inexpensive dressers that look exactly the same. Of course, yours is a gorgeous hard wood crafted piece of furniture, and IKEA's is laminated particle board, but still.

I agree that if you post it at $400 and haggle you should get your asking price.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That IKEA particle board version being out there is another reason to start higher.  By starting at $200 people are assuming it's a cheaply made copy of the lovely piece you are selling.  Starting at $500 will make people more likely to assume it's the real deal and be thrilled to pay $200 when they see that it is.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

My aunt has the identical piece from the teak import place in the Beverly/Danvers area [can't think of the name]. It's lovely, solid and not made of particle board at all. However, if the piece is used, needs "a little work" as the OP indicates, and you have to pick it up and will require a dolly to do so, I think a $150-200 selling price [not asking price] is very reasonable. It's very nice [and I love teak - honestly, if I lived nearby I'd take a look at it b/c it would go w/ stuff I have], but I think it's really unrealistic to expect that you are going to pocket $400 for that piece of furniture.  If someone is going to give you $150 or thereabouts for it, an you can use the money and have no use for the furniture, take it. 

We moved and overestimated our space in the new house dramatically. I ended up calling Salvation Army while hte movers were still there. We gave away about $5k worth of stuff, including electronics. We easily could have made $1k had we advertised it and just taken what people would give us. We don't itemize, so all we got in the end were 'warm fuzzies' for having donated so much stuff to charity.  Take the money and run.  GL! 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Thanks so much Pink and Alf, and to Kar and Pingo. You've given me a lot to consider. I think I will take the ad down then and re-post in a few weeks. Interesting thought y'all had about Ikea and more formal, well-crafted furniture.

I wish I didn't have to sell it. If only one could pawn furniture! Laughing

Y'all are great, and I thank you very, very much.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'd also take new photos from different vantage points so people don't recognize it from your previous listing.

GL!!!! 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Reindeer- this looks like a lot of pieces that Apartment Therapy lists on their site under Maxwell's Daily Find- under scavenger. They list things that are found on craig's list as well as classifieds. I think that is a great piece of furniture, very modern and in style right now. I think you could def get 200 for it.    I bet AT in Boston would list it if you put it on CL...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Reindeergirl,
    Did you sell that piece of furniture? How much did you get for it? Just curious.
    - Pingo

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Oh, the fawn and I went over it before the seller arrived, and we found things that needed work. I couldn't possibly charge the seller for it. So it sits in my bedroom, waiting for me to purchase teak oil and a good rubber (artist's) eraser. It also needs a few nails in back.

So, I never sold it. Because I didn't want to scr*w the seller.

Thank you, EVERYONE, for your suggestions. I'm grateful for every word you wrote.

Sections
Shortcuts