starting a t-shirt line...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LauraW7. Show LauraW7's posts

starting a t-shirt line...

my friend is looking to start a t-shirt line - something like fortune favours the bold or johnny cupcakes. i'm going to do the marketing. i have no fashion experience. anyone know how feasbile these sorts of brands are to start?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: starting a t-shirt line...

Hm, I don't have any business experience so maybe I shouldn't say a word, but it seems to me t-shirts are a dime a dozen.  The idea would have to be ultra brilliant and completely NEW for it to take off, IMO.  I'd say beware mixing friendship and business.  You have a lot to lose if you like your friend a lot.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, wise advice as usual!

In Response to Re: starting a t-shirt line...:
    Hm, I don't have any business experience so maybe I shouldn't say a word, but it seems to me t-shirts are a dime a dozen.  The idea would have to be ultra brilliant and completely NEW for it to take off, IMO.  I'd say beware mixing friendship and business.  You have a lot to lose if you like your friend a lot.
    Posted by kargiver

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, Dear.  I'm sure you were thinking the same thing - I just got to it first. :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnath. Show johnath's posts

In Response to starting a t-shirt line...:
    [QUOTE]my friend is looking to start a t-shirt line - something like fortune favours the bold or johnny cupcakes. i'm going to do the marketing. i have no fashion experience. anyone know how feasbile these sorts of brands are to start?
    Posted by LauraW7[/QUOTE]
    I have a silkscreening and embroidery business. Are you planning to do the creative work and subcontract the printing?  There are  a lot of good printers out there. There are also a lot of bad guys.  Be very careful and do your homework.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Ha jonath! Would never have guessed that. I always thought you were in the restaurant business - waiter actually. Good to see you post. Happy Holidays!

[QUOTE]In Response to starting a t-shirt line... : I have a silkscreening and embroidery business. Are you planning to do the creative work and subcontract the printing?  There are  a lot of good printers out there. There are also a lot of bad guys.  Be very careful and do your homework.
    Posted by johnath[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnath. Show johnath's posts

[QUOTE]Ha jonath! Would never have guessed that. I always thought you were in the restaurant business - waiter actually. Good to see you post. Happy Holidays! In Response to Re: starting a t-shirt line... :
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]
    I have 2 companies. The other is an electronic consulting company. This is where I spend most of my time.  Food is a hobby.
    To get back to printing. If you are going to send your designs out to be printed,  get a good lawyer to protect yourself.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I thought you were a chef!  :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LauraW7. Show LauraW7's posts

Thanks to everyone for their ideas!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnath. Show johnath's posts

Thanks to everyone for their ideas!
    Posted by LauraW7

Just curious. What ideas are you talking about? I was ready to give you advise but you never asked or answered any questions. I wish you the best.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

johnath, I think she is so new to this that she doesn't know exactly what to ask.  You have to be relatively experienced before you can ask specific questions.

Maybe you can recommend a book to her that's been helpful for you?

~kar

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnath. Show johnath's posts

In Response to starting a t-shirt line...:
    [QUOTE]my friend is looking to start a t-shirt line - something like fortune favours the bold or johnny cupcakes. i'm going to do the marketing. i have no fashion experience. anyone know how feasbile these sorts of brands are to start?
    Posted by LauraW7[/QUOTE]
    Here are some ideas. First, write a business plan. Be specific.
    Come up with an original idea. Then talk to potential customers.
    Did you get positive feedback?
    Find a good screen printing company.
    If business takes off, do the printing yourself.
    Do not rush. Take your time.
    If you still feel comfortable then go for it.
    The most important step is to find a good lawyer to protect your ideas. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Great advice for her friend starting the business, john.

For the OP, I maintain she needs think long and hard about mixing friendship and business.  As the marketing director she has a lot of the potential success (or failure) of her friend's business riding on her shoulders.  What if her marketing strategy fails?  What if the idea isn't good no matter how awesome the marketing is and the friend blames her for the failure?  What happens to the friendship?

If nothing else, she should talk openly to her friend about these issues BEFORE getting in too deep.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnath. Show johnath's posts

[QUOTE]Great advice for her friend starting the business, john. For the OP, I maintain she needs think long and hard about mixing friendship and business.  As the marketing director she has a lot of the potential success (or failure) of her friend's business riding on her shoulders.  What if her marketing strategy fails?  What if the idea isn't good no matter how awesome the marketing is and the friend blames her for the failure?  What happens to the friendship? If nothing else, she should talk openly to her friend about these issues BEFORE getting in too deep.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]
    Maybe they should start part-time. Keep their regular jobs until the new business starts to turn a profit. They will need very little startup money this way.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yes, having less to lose financially will help preserve the friendship, indeed.

OP, update?

Sections
Shortcuts