Victoria's Secret - Faneuil Hall

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Victoria's Secret - Faneuil Hall

Any reason why the sales associates follow you around like white on rice?

Clearly (in person) I am old enough to seek out what I need.

Do you have a polite response to the sales associates when they ask you (over and over) what they can find for you?

I never clothing shop with big totes or a heavy coat - there's nothing therefore to indicate I could be a shoplifter.

I don't think the associates are on commission - if they were, I might understand.

Thanks to bad experiences there, I am sticking to the catalog instead of the store.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Victoria's Secret - Faneuil Hall

It's the same at Bath and Body Works.  I've told them that I understand it is the store's policy to say and behave the way they do, but I don't like being followed or constantly "helped" and would appreciate their passing that comment to management.  It works well because they know I'm not attacking them for doing what they are told (and paid to do) AND it gets them to leave me alone.  Maybe if enough people ask them to tell management that behavior discourages shoppers from entering the store it might prompt a change in policy.  I've also walked by a B&BWs simply to avoid the greeter.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Thanks kargiver.

Is it that research shows it makes the customer purchase something just to get out of there? Or is it a security issue?

I'm a slow shopper. I like to browse. I like to know what the fabric feels like before I buy the garment (I always go in with clean hands).

And sometimes, I like to purchase 2 Sunday newspapers for the coupons, or to send the hard-copy version along to an interested friend. The Sunday cashier manager at CVS in Coolidge Corner seems to think purchasing 2 copies of the same paper is strange. When she's on duty now, I walk out and go to the CVS down the street.

Oh, I don't know, I do have my bohemian clothing style, but why should that make me any less of someone who might have money to spend, and not steal?

But I have only recently started complaining to the head managers.

I know that being on the floor in retail is not an ideal job (been there, done that), but I'd like to know what's going on now in the business schools that hovering is seen as a positive marketing tool.

Thanks also kar, for suggesting what I say to them, politely.

I also hate it when the greeters flirt. I get flustered. I guess I should just smile and move on to the aisles. I understand that greeters are hired as a security matter (I think studies have shown that shoplifting decreases when the potential shoplifter knows someone knows he or she is in the store), but conversation and flirting, I don't need.

I guess I'm just a solitary shopper. Always have been. Except for food, I'd do all my shopping online to avoid the hovering types, but I'm cheap about paying postage, and I don't feel I should have to avoid anyone.

Green is green. Stores should realize that. Even if I went in wearing rags, as Long as I wasn't soiled (and therefore risked soiling the products), it shouldn't matter. (I tend to be hyper-vigilant about hand sanitizers, anyway. If someone is going to catch a cold, chance are it won't be from me. Not to brag, but that's one of my positive personality aspects, I feel.)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I don't think it's a crime deterrant technique, but a "warm fuzzy" approach they think will inspire more purchases.  The salesperson/friend approach might work better in a warmer/fuzzier part of the country, but in New England people like to be left alone.  I think this is lost on companies whose corporate offices are not in New England.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Gotta run - tutoring today until much later in the evening, but wanted to thank you, kar, for your perspective. The regional take is intriguing, I'm sure you're right. I haven't even been out of the house yet today, but already you've made me feel better about shopping!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That's good. :) 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Christinymarini. Show Christinymarini's posts

Reindeer-  
    You're right, they aren't necessarily on a commission, but the scheduling for each employee depends on their sales of the prior weeks/months.  I worked at Express (same company as VS and B&BW) back in college and unless you sold so many pairs of pants or so much money of merchandise you typically got like 5-7 hours a week.  Unfortunately this leads to everyone in the store wanting to help you so you mention their name when at the checkout counter.  I'd guess that is partly why you feel like they are following you and always trying to help. 

I always ended up with 5-7 hours a week, I HATED doing it!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

They're probably trying to deter theft. You don't need a big coat or a tote bag to steal a couple thongs or panties. I know from working at Sephora that it's impossible to try and profile shoplifters by appearence, so you just end up following everybody around. Only you're not really following them around, you're just trying to help everyone. The best theft deterrent is a friendly and attentive staff. Unfortunately, not everyone wants friendly and attentive staff.
    I don't think there's a single retail store that doesn't have greeting as a policy. At Sephora we had to say hello and offer help to any customer that came into our section. And if they were the only person in our section, we had to observe them in case they looked like they needed help.

Retail chains pay big bucks to find out what customers like, and customers like to be acknowledged. So having every employee greet every cutomer is what ends up happening.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Thanks for your story, Christinymarini.

I once worked at RH Stearns (yeah, I go way back) during its semi-annual stocking sale. It was a temp job. It was madness. All those slim boxes of stockings; all that tiny print on the slim boxes; all the elderly women trying to get my attention at once; all the stockings they left all over the place, oiut of their boxes. The pay wasn't great, but it was salaried - because I was so incompetent at it, I never would have made a commission. I was young and thin and in shape, but I still hated being on my feet for eight hours.

I think it's unfortunate that the family that owns VS, etc., places that kind of stress on its employees. However, I am always happy to give the name of the associate who assisted me. If I don't know his/her name, I'm happy to describe the person.

I worked at a little gift shop, touristy shop in downtown Boston; the nice couple who owned the store let me sit up on a stool and do other kinds of work when I wasn't assisting customers. They also didn't have to cover my lunch hour, but they were kind and never subtracted it from my hours.

I worked at Bread & Circus (Whole Foods) as a cashier, and that was a b*tch. Far from being touchy-feely-New-Agey, the management cracked the whip as sharply as in any other store. I'd only work there again if I was absolutely desperate.

I am so good with plants and flowers. I wish a KaBloom would open up near me (I have to be close by, for when my little one comes home from school). I'd be great at that, and for that job, I wouldn't mind minimum wage (it would be to supplement what I do now).

Finally, I sold high-end furnishings exclusively from another country, and that was commission, and that WAS pressure. I couldn't deal (great employee discount, though), even though the country and the woods and ceramics and the particular design history was right up my alley.

----

Now pinkkittie:

Thank you for the perspective. I love Sephora but have never been in a shop, only mail-order.

Were you fine with greeting? Comfortable? What if the customer doesn't know quite what she wants, but wants to be left alone to figure it out? In that case, what is your ideal for how she responds to you? All employees deserve to be treated with dignity - we are all somebody. I just happen to be a curmudgeon, is all.

I find shoplifting abhorrent. But in my lovely neighborhood, it's done mostly by heroin junkies looking to grab, sell to someone (anyone) and get a fix, not by teens just trying to get away with something. My parents would have been mortified (and I would have been grounded until my present age).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

no one likes being the greeter, it's boring. You stand in the front of the store just saying hello. The greeter *only* greeted people. They didn't ask if they needed help, they just said "Hello" or "Good morning" etc.
    Once you moved into any department, the person working in that department would say "I'm so-and-so, let me know if you need any help" or if the person was looking at a particular product, we'd say something like "Have you ever used that?" and then add something good about the product or encourage them to try it on.

If a person gave us a short response or a "No, thank you, I'm just browsing.", we'd just stop trying to talk to them and just watch them. It wasn't unless a person just ignored us or rudely brushed us off that we'd follow them closely and be overly perky. Kill'em with kindness, you know?

A polite "no thanks, just looking" is ideal, preferrably said with a smile.

The thing to understand is that most sales people would prefer to let customers come to them and trust their instincts about who needs help and who does not. They don't wnat to be badgering you any more than you want to be badgered. Unfortunately, management just prefers the overkill method so they have no choice. There was nothing worse than when customers copped an attitude when we were simply doing what we had to do in order to get paid.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

I feel embarrassed when I say "just browsing," then seek out someone to pay. I'm probably overthinking it. But now that I have your side of it, pinkkittie, I think I'll be able to be a lot more relaxed in stores. Thank you, I do appreciate it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Reindeergirl,  I don't believe you are ovethinking anything. Your claim is valid and shared with many. The worst of the bunch are car sales people.
    When we were in the market to replace my car this early Spring, the first place we stopped at was the dealer, where we bought our last car. I have been driving the same make for the past many years, so yes, we were indeed "more than looking". We asked for "Bob" when we entered. "Sorry Bob is not working today, but I can help you." We then asked, when "Bob" would be working and asked for a couple of brochures for the car we were considering. This guy spent no more than 3 minutes with us.
    But from that day on we got calls from him every morning at around 8:30. Hubby finally told him, we had decided not to replace my car - in order to get rid of him.
    We went back several weeks later on a day "Bob" was supposed to be working. But no, we could not deal with "Bob" b/c we had already gotten a sales representative. Talking about pressure here?
    To make a long story short, we were so disgusted with this guy, "Mr. Big Smile" and the dealer - that I decided to go elsewhere. After many years, I changed the make and couldn't be happier with my purchase. I bought my car from someone, who gave us no pressure at all. In fact we saw the car at the dealership and it took us 3 weeks to decide to take a ride in it. Not one single call from them.
    And would you believe it? "Mr. Big Smile", is still calling giving us special deals. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Oh Pingo, I know!

I was literally chased by a financial-loan guy at a dealership after I told him I was paying cash (bank check) for my new car. First he nudged me, then he got angry with me! So different than when I bought my condo (cash) and the seller and her agent were delighted with that, not having to wait for a mortgage approval.

I had that car for many years, but that negative experience is still in my mind. I feel for him because he didn't get his commission, yet I didn't feel for him because he was downright nasty (and I had my elderly mother in tow with me - her sweet presence didn't deter him).

I wish you had gotten your "Bob." Everyone deserves to make a living, but I too miss some of my special ones from businesses. We moved three years ago, and I hadn't been to my favorite Chinese restaurant for the longest time back home. When I did return earlier this year, I learned the manager, whom I adored (in a friendly kind of way, as a customer, and the fact we have children about the same age so we talked parenting a lot) had passed away two years ago! (RIP, Rusty.)

I hope you have many happy years with your new car!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

Bed bath & beyond is like that too!  I HATE it when they are constantly up my butt with the "can I help you" mantra. 

one time I was there for their bridal registry, to purchase a gift for a friend's wedding...and had every sales person in the store up my butt...until I printed out the registry, and had a question on an item in the registry...and couldn't find a soul...the one person I found who worked there couldn't speak a syllable of english...will be a long time before I shop there again!  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

laryan,

Good story on msn the other day, about how people are ignored until they pull out their Amex Black Card - and how there are, indeed, users of such cards, people who have millions of dollars, who dress in t-shirts and jeans when clothing shopping.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Story re: my Dad car shopping.

Salesman naturally approaches Dad when he walked into dealership.  Introduces self.  Dad introduces self.  The usual.

Later on, after looking around, they go back inside and sit down at the salesman's desk.   The salesman addresses my Dad by his FIRST NAME.  

Dad was completely frosted!   So he said to the salesman "My name is Mr. Yoga to you.  This is a business relationship, you're not on a first name basis with me" or some such thing!   My Dad did not like the way the sales guy tried to be so familiar with him to rope him into a sale. 

I know that this would not offend a lot of people, but my Dad felt very strongly that sales people take too many liberties to act like they are your friend, when the truth is, business is business, and you need to establish that boundary.

So to follow along, for me it's definitely a matter of boundaries when sales people are pushy, even though I know it's part of the job.  They may even get reprimanded if they aren't assertive enough.   So I just try to ignore as best I can.

Are there stores that I avoid b/c I don't want to deal with the pushy sales people.  Yes.  But they werent stores that I ever valued very much in the first place!  

I don't think you are being overly sensitive at all, RDG.  I was aghast at the story you told about going into CVS and being made to feel awkward for buying more than one newspaper (and for a very nice reason).   Now that is really crossing a boundary!!    xo

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I don't see saying "just browsing" as being a lie. I go browsing all the time and then suddenly find something I want to buy. It's just a better response than "I don't want your help."

But I agree thjat is you find someone being unpleasantly aggressive, you should speak with the manager.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

In Response to Re: Victoria's Secret - Faneuil Hall:
    S  As for Bath and Body Works, I have not set foot in that store for years.  They have a clever "no animal testiing on this final product line" that means that they have obviously tested on animals, just not on the final product.  If you are against animal testing, then go to the Body Shop.  And if you want something less expensive, the most amazing products that are not tested on animals are St. Ives.   It is hard to find a product that is not tested on animals for that price! Posted by yogafriend

This is not entirely true. Corporations will sometimes use that disclaimer because there are some ingredients that have been tested on animals at some point, but not by them and not recently. There are very few beauty ingredients that have never been tested on any animals.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I removed it from my post b/c I do not want to hijack the thread or get into that discussion here; my bad for bringing it up in my post.  thanks. 

Sections
Shortcuts