1 hour drive between church and reception

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from migu2011. Show migu2011's posts

1 hour drive between church and reception

My church ceremony will be in Somerville/Medford but our reception hall will be in Gloucester.  Do you think the 1 hour drive up 128 is unreasonable for our guests?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Re: 1 hour drive between church and reception

what day of the week?  what time?  what month?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rirlo01. Show Rirlo01's posts

I think it's a lot to ask, but I know I'd certainly make the drive and be happy to be there for you if you were my friend or family member.  :)  Good luck! 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Well, if you've already committed to both, what's the point of asking?  I assume our opinions won't impact your plans one way or the other, and plain ol' curiosity killed the cat.  No sense worrying about it, now.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

You run the risk of some people skipping the ceremony and only showing up for the reception (or vice versa).  But, Kar's right - too late to worry about it now, unless you haven't put down deposits for one or the other.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Maybe she's just thinking about it; otherwise, why ask?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from italianqueen. Show italianqueen's posts

In Response to Re: 1 hour drive between church and reception:
    I live in Somerville and used to work in Gloucester. It's a straight shot and it's actually not even a full hour. It's not a bad drive. A lot ofpeople do their ceremonies in the suburbs and then their receptions in Boston and I actually think that's a lot more stressful for people not used to city driving (though again, all of this is not that big a deal in the grand scheme!). Just my two cents--it's not a bad drive and at least until you get to Gloucester itself, which can be a little confusing, the directions are super easy to follow.
    Posted by Wedin2010

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

My brother got married in Haverhill and had his wedding reception in Randolph. People in my family are still complaining about it 9 years later! I think most of the problem was that they had to drive through Boston (as Wedin2010 pointed out, that can be a problem for the people not used to the city). People got lost and it made for a stressful cocktail hour as we were trying to get pictures done but the bridal party was kind of trickling in.

I would just make sure that the grandmothers, etc have secure rides to and from the reception. I would just be worried about the older folks who might not be comfortable driving long distance.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from italianqueen. Show italianqueen's posts

Sorry about the above post!!   My daughter got married in Gloucester.  We are from Medford.  Guests were coming from mostly Boston area and North Shore area.  The out of town guests stayed in Rockport. It wasn't a problem for any of our guests.   It wasn't a problem either getting to Gloucester and it was Memorial Day weekend.  If your guests want to be with you and celebrate your wedding day with you they will come.  Some of our guests stayed over the night of the wedding.   We had a room block at a Rockport hotel.  Worked out great!!! 

Where are you getting married in Gloucester? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I think that as long as the directions aren't complicated and there's a low risk of hitting bad traffic, then it will be okay. Not ideal, but okay. The people who are closest to you and want to be there for you will gladly travel that distance, provided they don't get carsick. ;)

but you do run the risk of people attending only one or the other, as lucy pointed out.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Migu, I hope you haven't booked both places and can change one of them. To be honest, I think you are asking for too much of your guests. I live midway btw. Somerville and Gloucester. Just like Cos said, it truly depend on the time of the year, the day and the time of the day. Normally the traffic on weekends - any weekend - going North on Rt. 128 is tough. In the summer time it is impossible. And during rush our - on any day - forget it. Just yesterday it took DH and I 1/2 hours to just go only 3 exits.
    To answer your question boldly - yes, I believe it is unreasonable. - Pingo

In Response to 1 hour drive between church and reception:
    My church ceremony will be in Somerville/Medford but our reception hall will be in Gloucester.  Do you think the 1 hour drive up 128 is unreasonable for our guests?
    Posted by migu2011

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Migu, I hope you haven't booked both places and can change one of them. To be honest, I think you are asking for too much of your guests. I live midway btw. Somerville and Gloucester. Just like Cos said, it truly depend on the time of the year, the day and the time of the day. Normally the traffic on weekends - any weekend - going North on Rt. 128 is tough. In the summer time it is impossible. And during rush our - on any day - forget it. Just yesterday it took DH and I 1/2 hours to just go only 3 exits. To answer your question boldly - yes, I believe it is unreasonable. - Pingo In Response to 1 hour drive between church and reception :
    Posted by pingo

Really, Pingo? It is her day.

Migu, do what you want. This is the one day when you should think about you and your groom. If people don't like it and think it is unreasonable, than they don't have to come.

Good luck :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

P.S. Italian, how was your daughter's wedding? I know we have the same wedding dress :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

I don't think it is too much to ask at all.
    Give me a break 1 hour for those who say it is too much to ask.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

I hate that saying, "it's her day". 

I have to agree with Pingo.  I live in the same area as Pingo and on a really good beach day on a weekend, 128 can get backed up with bumper to bumper traffic.  FI and I have tried going North to go to the mall or something and we give up and turned around because I hate sitting in traffic when I don't have to.  If your guests hit that kind of traffic, there are several issues:  1) it is a major pain for them and kills the happy mood (I know I'd be cranky when I got to your reception) and 2) it can totally throw off your timeline if everyone ends up 1 hr late (which makes for an unhappy bride).

Anyway, of course the B&G can do whatever they want.  However, the fact that she is asking means that maybe she is considering the convenience of her guests, so lets give her all the information.

Good luck to you!  You might have no problem at all, but good to know the possibility.  Is there any way to make it a shorter distance?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

my first question is "what time of year" and "what day of the week" are you getting married?  I'm thinking of "friday nite get away for the weekend" "festivals that may be happening in gloucester" and "coming home from the weekend" traffic.  It may not be a "bad drive" from Somerville/Medford to Gloucester, but if its summer and you have people heading to the beach, NH, ME for the weekend the traffic could get hairy..

make sure you have exact directions from the church to the reception venue, as you may have guests who aren't "north shore knowledgeable"...

I too live in Somerville, but grew up in the southern portion of the city, and consider myself a "south of boston" person, still learning my way around "north of boston" over 8 years later... 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Spring or fall, no problem.  The Saturday of 4th of July weekend?  Problem.

You have to know your guests and what will work for them.   If they're from the area, don't mind 128, etc. then it shouldn't be a big deal.  If they will have a long drive to GET to the ceremony and then another hour on top of that to get to the reception, then it would be burdensome.

Example, if I live in Framingham, then attending a wedding in Haverhill or Randolph is no big deal.  But if I had to drive to Haverhill and THEN drive to Randolph, yes, that is a lot of driving.

P.S.  Nine years ago, there could have been a horrible amount of Big Dig nonsense on a Saturday - road closings, detours, etc. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I think it's fine.  I agree with pink that you should make the driections clear and concise.  I think that if people really want to attend they will. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

Cosmo, you're absolutely right. When I started planning my wedding, I heard "I hope you aren't planning on making us drive like your brother did" from quite a few relatives. It was poor planning, IMHO.

TRex - I hate it too. I think it's dangerous territory.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

I think 1 hr drive between places is asking too much of the guests.  I went to a wedding where this was the case, the ceremony was in boston and the reception was in N. Reading, and the bride's family provided a shuttle bus to transport the guests. People parked at the reception site, got picked up from there by the bus, the bus brought them to the ceremony and then back to the reception.  I thought that was a good solution, but of course there is a cost involved, and people need to be on time. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Maybe she's just thinking about it; otherwise, why ask?
    Posted by cosmogirl

I figured "will be" meant it's set in stone. Strange choice of words for something she's merely considering...

But, fwiw, I don't like the idea of adding an hour of driving to a long, albeit fun, day.   Not to mention, I'm betting not many people live near the reception so that's another long drive home late at night.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I also agree with Pingo; an hour's drive between the ceremony and reception is too much.  That being said, I'd totally do it for a friend or family member... and probably only a complain a tiny bit behind their backs.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Well, if I lived near Somerville, it wouldn't be a big deal.  If not, I would skip the ceremony and only attend the reception.  I do think an hour is too long of a drive and will put out your guests too much.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

princess-cal makes a good point- if your guests will be driving to your ceremony, then to the reception and then back home, that's a ton of driving. if it's during the summer, you have to consider the heat (not everyone has a/c in their cars), if it's the winter, you have to consider the snow.

if most of your guests are coming from the Gloucester or Somerville area, then it's not an issue. but otherwise, you may want to re-think one of your venues.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

While the day may be about the B&G Peonie, as the host of the reception which is really for your guests, you should also take in consideration the driving distance between both venues.

But people are right, if they want to attend they will regardless. Good luck migu and happy planning.