1 hour drive between church and reception

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: 1 hour drive between church and reception

She still hasn't explained her use of "will be."  Is it set in stone or not?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from italianqueen. Show italianqueen's posts

BTW, my daughter's ceremony was also at Cruiseport so it was drive to Gloucester and that's it. 

Peonie, I will post Vendor reviews soon. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from domino88. Show domino88's posts

In Response to Re: 1 hour drive between church and reception:
    She still hasn't explained her use of "will be."  Is it set in stone or not?
    Posted by kargiver

I'm sure she will explain when she checks this thread again.  This is only her second post on these boards and it doesn't look like she has checked back.  Her first post was last week asking about another venue, so this is probably not set in stone yet.

I drive to and from Boston to the N. Shore everyday on 128 and it generally isn't as bad as Pingo's experience, although it is when there is an accident or construction.  It will depend on where most of your guests are coming from, the time of day, day of the week and month as others have mentioned.

Welcome, by the way, and good luck!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

As a guest, I've driven up to an hour from the ceremony to the reception.  Not a big deal - if I want to be there, I do it and don't complain.  I agree with those that said make sure anyone who may have difficulty (grandparents, etc) has a secure ride.

As a bride, I would probably try to stay away from creating that long of a drive for my guests, if possible.  Mainly because if any of your friends/family are like some of mine, they would get lost and never find the reception.  And since many older family members don't necessarily have cell phones, they may never be found again!  Also - if you DO end up with that long of a drive from one venue to another, make sure to have food and at least water available IMMEDIATELY at the reception venue.

As with all etiquette questions, I realize I always have two answers - one from each of my own perspectives!  Maybe not so helpful, as they're often contradictory.Undecided

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from migu2011. Show migu2011's posts

Wow so many comments!  It'll be a Saturday in September at the Cruiseport.  I don't believe we have any guests that would be coming from the south so driving through Boston is not an issue.  Also, Cruiseport if right off the highway so I think it's fairly easy to get to from 128.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from migu2011. Show migu2011's posts

Also, unfortunately we don't have any grandparents between the 2 of us so I'm not terribly concerned about old folks getting lost/long drive etc. 
    It's not entirely set in stone yet but possibly will be by the end of this week!
    My other option is the Renaissance Golf Club in Haverhill which is only about a 10min shorter drive than Gloucester.... and Renaissance has no reviews online and nobody I've ever met has even heard of the place! (but it is gorgeous)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

in September you have the "fall foliage" and "apple picking" season.  any colleges in the area that may be hosting "parents weekends" or "tour specials" for prospective students? 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Peonie, I agree  - it is surely her day and of course, the bride can do anything she wants to do on that day! I never suggested she couldn't. It is up to her guests to decide if they want to attend or not. I was only answering OP's question, if it would be too much to ask. And yes, I still believe an hour or more (most likely more) is a long ride to and from a wedding reception. - Pingo

In Response to Re: 1 hour drive between church and reception : Really, Pingo? It is her day. Migu, do what you want. This is the one day when you should think about you and your groom. If people don't like it and think it is unreasonable, than they don't have to come. Good luck :)
    Posted by Peonie

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Migu, I don't think Haverhill or Gloucester will make much of a difference. It is the Burlington area, the 93/128 inter exchange and again the North Shore and Liberty malls, the congestion piles up. Then if there is an accident in btw. (which unfortunately happens often) you will have another pile up.
    Friday mid morning I had a Dr.'s appointment in Danvers. 5 exits on 128 to go. I was 20 minutes late - due to being stuck in traffic. I apologized profusely. But the receptionist told me not to worry. They are so used to patients getting stuck in traffic, that they count an extra 15 minutes in in any appointment.
    I am not trying to discourage you from keeping your dream venue. Just letting you in on the practical side.
    Maybe you can solve the problem by setting aside a longer than normal time btw. ceremony and reception and then have plenty of food and beverages available, when your guests arrive.
    And like may other posters said. The guests who really want to come, will still be coming to your reception - but you may loose some guests at your ceremony, as they would go straight to the reception.
    Best of luck to you! - Pingo

Also, unfortunately we don't have any grandparents between the 2 of us so I'm not terribly concerned about old folks getting lost/long drive etc.  It's not entirely set in stone yet but possibly will be by the end of this week! My other option is the Renaissance Golf Club in Haverhill which is only about a 10min shorter drive than Gloucester.... and Renaissance has no reviews online and nobody I've ever met has even heard of the place! (but it is gorgeous)
    Posted by migu2011

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

Migu - I looked at Renaissance too but they didn't have my date available. They have only been open since last fall. The place is beautiful and I thought the package was very reasonable. I *almost* changed my wedding date so I could have had it there.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

It would be a long drive for a lot of people,some may skip the ceremony and attend the reception. Me, I love wedding ceremonies,and I've been to Glouceter and it's so pretty there.However I don't like long drives,getting lost or driving at night so I think I'd make a mini vacation of it and stay the weekend. Probably not an option for everyone though.Hope everything works out-no matter where you have it some guests will have a more difficult time than others getting there.I'm sure it will work out somehow. Good luck! beastsgirl

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Honestly, I do think it's unreasonable, especially if, as some people mentioned, guests will have long drive to the wedding or home after (or worse - both). 

I mean, if I have to drive half an hour to the ceremony, an hour to the reception, and an hour and a half to get home - that's a lot of driving.  It could be even worse for guests that are coming without a "plus one" and might not know people to carpool with. (I don't know if you'll have anyone like that, but it could be an issue).

But, yes, the people who are most important will be there, anyway. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I agree completely; it's too much driving.  But, I'd go and keep my mouth shut about the inconvenience, and that's what your guests will do, too.  I doubt anyone would actually decline the invitation over it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mezzogal1124. Show mezzogal1124's posts

I went to a wedding with an even longer drive to the reception (I think it was 1.5 hours).  I grumbled at the time.  Honestly, though, what I remember about the wedding was how much fun I had, and not the length of the drive.  While 1 hour is more than I'd personally feel comfortable asking guests to do, rest assured that the fun memories will outlast any temporary annoyance.  Just make sure you throw a darn good party! Smile

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from migu2011. Show migu2011's posts

This has been very helpful... thanks alot everyone!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

I went to a wedding with an even longer drive to the reception (I think it was 1.5 hours).  I grumbled at the time.  Honestly, though, what I remember about the wedding was how much fun I had, and not the length of the drive.  While 1 hour is more than I'd personally feel comfortable asking guests to do, rest assured that the fun memories will outlast any temporary annoyance.  Just make sure you throw a darn good party!
    Posted by mezzogal1124

I've driven an hour or more to get TO a wedding (and home), and I didn't mind at all (but my best friend was also invited and brought festive music to get us in the mood). 

Maybe part of my issue is that I've never driven, period, to get a reception.  Every wedding I've ever been to had the reception and the ceremony in the same place.  I'd never even heard of having two different locations until after I started reading these boards.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Lucy, You'd never heard of people getting married at a church?
    (Not to be a jerk!)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

fram- you can have a reception in some churches.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Is there a good amount of time between the ceremony and reception? It isn't ideal, but driving up to Gloucester is worth it in my opinion. Once they get there and see the view (assuming you'll be near the water, otherwise..what's the point) anyone who complained will forget about it.

My ceremony was in Allston and our reception was in Nahant. I had a lot of out of town guests who have never seen a rotary. The distance didn't bother the locals (if it did, I never heard about it, and the majority came to both the ceremony and reception), and for the out of towners, we rented a school bus from First Student. It was a way more affordable option, and no one complained. If you have out of towners, and can provide a transportation option, I would recommend it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Lucy, You'd never heard of people getting married at a church? (Not to be a jerk!)
    Posted by framerican51008

In CA, we don't have these old, historic churches.  They all have reception halls attached.  So, you'd walk out of the church, turn left, and be at the reception.  :)

In fact, it wasn't until I was about 20 that I realized you could have a wedding somewhere OTHER than a church.  Surprised

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Very interesting, Lucy!  It's interesting hearing from people who grew up in different areas.  I think it's been split about 50/50 for me - half of ceremonies at a church and half at the reception site.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

In Response to 1 hour drive between church and reception:
    My church ceremony will be in Somerville/Medford but our reception hall will be in Gloucester.  Do you think the 1 hour drive up 128 is unreasonable for our guests?
    Posted by migu2011

not necessarily.  We did the same thing, but we hired a bus to pick everyone up at the church and drive them to the reception.  Those that lived closer to the reception drove themselves, but most guests lived closer to the church.

The bus ride remains of the all time memorable moments in both families!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

Cruiseport does a really good job.  Parking is easy and it's a fairly easy drive from 128.  (I'm from Rockport.)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The bus would change it completely for me - extra time to visit and relax with everyone instead of just "wasting" an hour between ceremony and reception and another getting back.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from migu2011. Show migu2011's posts

We will definitely be getting some type of bus because we'll have about 30 guests coming from out of state and we would never expect them ALL to rent cars.  I think it'll put a fun twist on things for everyone to have that option.