1 hour drive between church and reception

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Re: 1 hour drive between church and reception

Yeah.  I wouldn't think it was at all unreasonable to shuttle your guests for an hour to the reception site (although, if it's a hot day, hopefully, there would be bottled water in the bus).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Or bottled Margaritas...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

An hour is way too long to drive between the ceremony and reception.  The drive to Gloucester from Somerville or anything in the general vicinity of Somerville is brutal, any time.  In the summer, on the weekend or rush hour, so much more brutal [I'm from the North Shore originally but lived in Brighton for quite a while and made the trip many many times].  

I have driven an hour from the ceremony to the reception before and cursed the bride and groom the whole drive.  And they were my dear friends.  And I was in the wedding [but provided my own transportation ;-)].  That awful drive is one of my most vivid memories of their wedding.  It was lovely, but an hour is way too long to drive. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

IMHO, there's no such thing as "not a bad drive" in Boston. I get an ulcer driving two miles to the T. 

The bus would make it a little better. We also had one to drive guests from the hotel to the ceremony/reception (same place) and back. It was a 10 min drive, but we figured people would be drinking.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

In Response to Re: 1 hour drive between church and reception:
    We will definitely be getting some type of bus because we'll have about 30 guests coming from out of state and we would never expect them ALL to rent cars.  I think it'll put a fun twist on things for everyone to have that option.
    Posted by migu2011

Hi Migu,

I live in Somerville and my ceremony was in Medford.  We hired Eastern Bus Company to shuttle guests to and from the ceremony/reception.  They were awesome and only $60/hr.  Highly recommend. (617) 628-6868

FWIW - I drive from Somerville to Gloucester often to visit friends, and on a normal day it takes me about 40 minutes.  It's a pretty easy drive, 93N to 128.  I don't know where in Somerville you are, but it's about 35 miles door to door for me, so it shouldn't take an hour to get there.  I don't generally run into issues in September, usually July and early August are the most congested times, from my experience.   

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

a bus will definitely make things better for some of your guests, but the ones who are local (driving to the ceremony & maybe back home that night from the reception) are the one's I'd worry about adding that hour drive for. they may already have two long drives just to get to and from the wedding. Tossing in a third might irk them. They may still go, and they probably won't say anything to you, but they may not be happy about it.

Sections
Shortcuts