Advice: skin care before wedding?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Advice: skin care before wedding?

Hi Guys!  I'm realizing that our wedding is only 5 mos away (yikes!) and it seems like time is flying.  I was always thinking of trying to start some kind of beauty routine a few months out to hopefully make my skin as clear and happy as possible by the wedding.  Of course, I have no idea what to do!  Any advice?  What did/are you guys doing?

I was thinking of getting a vitamin C serum for my face, a magazine said that is really good, but I don't know where to get it.  I also saw a commercial for Neutrogena Tone Correcting Night Serum, I was thinking about trying that (supposed to even skin tone and reduce dark spots). 

I probably also should start working out/diet, but we'll see about that... :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Re: Advice: skin care before wedding?

My only real advice is that, if you want a facial or skin peel, do it WAAAAAAY before the wedding, because you don't know how your skin might react.  Like - at least a month in advance.

Dieting and working out is totally overrated.  You looked awesome in your dress - you wouldn't want to have to pay for alterations.  Wink

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

What kinds of issues are you trying to avoid - breakouts, dry skin, oily skin?

My face tends to get dry in the winter, especially on the nose and cheeks.  The winter before my May wedding, I made sure to take extra good care of my skin.  I would set the shower to my normal temperature and then turn it down a tad because hot water dries your skin (I think).  I always use facial moisturizer, but I made sure to apply it asap after showering and to use it at night as well.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Trex, I've seen your picture, and I think you AND your skin are beautiful.  5 months is plenty of time to take great skin and make a really big rashy mess of it.  Leave well enough alone is my advice.

But, if you insist on trying something new let us know what you hope to acheive (although, I can't imagine what you think is wrong with it), and we'll give you our product tips.

I happen to use Garden Girl fash washes.  The normal one for 3 weeks a month and the oily/breakout prone one for one week...you can guess which week. ;)

I also use Deep Sea Cosmetics brightening moisturizer.  Do NOT buy it at the mall kiosk for $90.  You can get it from Amazon for about $20.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

drink lots of water
    get a facial a month before the wedding
    wash day and night and moisturize
    as for vitamin C serums, they do make you glow and can help prevent break outs. Here are a few things I've used and liked:
    Philosophy's C powder. I like this because you mix it with your moisturizer, no second step necessary
    Truth serumfrom Ole Henrikson. Organic and gives a great glow

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

forgot to mention that antioxidants like vitamin C also help with fine lines, firmness and age spots. They're good for just about any skin issue.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kbpell. Show kbpell's posts

Hi trex,

My wedding is in August and I just had a facial this past weekend. The aesthetician suggested using a kit by PCA. It's $40 and last a month and includes a face wash, blemish gel, vitamin A&C serum, and other items for daily use and then a once a week mask treatment.  I'm also going to see how this works (so far amazing!), but I'm going to get at least one more facial before the big day -- just not too close to the event as lucy pointed out.  

Hope this helps. You can Google the PCA kit online (The one I use says its for "problem skin," though mine really isn't!) or have a facial and see what the perosn recommends.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brighton1. Show Brighton1's posts

I got monthly facials for about a year before my wedding and I really think that helped with my complexion.  I used (and still use) mild products from Clinique, a night cream from Skinceauticals, and plenty of sunscreen.  That seemed to do the trick. FWIW, my last facial was two weeks before my wedding and my skin was fine.  We didn't do anything major, just a good cleansing and moisturizing. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dani273. Show Dani273's posts

Hi Trex
    You have recieved some good advice already, but I would like to add to it:
    You may or may not know this, but it takes new skin cells to "turn over" or come to the surface, every 28 to 31 days. Just like the days on a calander......that's how I remember it.
    When you try a new skin care system, please keep in mind that after this cell trun-over cycle, that is when you will really start to see a difference in your skin and you will know if the skincare products work well for you or not. I have worked for many different cosmetic companies.....and I still do. I have found them to have results all in that time frame. So, what i am trying to say is this: Whatever skincare you try, give it at least a month to see a genuine difference.  You will not see true results unless you are patient, and usually it pays off.  Please do not go the drugstore route when chosing a skincare system. I know that i am going to probably get alot of flack from saying this to you, but there really IS a big difference between a $10.00 moisturizer and a $120.00 mositurizer. That being said, in todays economy and being on a bridal budget, don't feel as if you have to plop down the big bucks to get better performance, all I am saying is really do your homework.....quality ingredients are best. Read labels, ask questions, visit a cosmetic counter or a dermatologist so if you have questions, they can be answered by someone that truly knows the products. Also, places like Macy's, Nordstrom and Sephora will take the products back and refund your money if you are not satisfied or the products didn't meet your expectations. Please, feel free to email me at mdjtr "at" verizon "dot" net or email me through this board. I visit different department stores on a weekly basis and I would be happy to help you in a store at any point. Also, Pink Kitty is a wealth of knowledge too, I am sure that she would be happy to give you some good recs too. Good luck!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Dani's right, it takes about 4 weeks to see a real change.

The reason I recommend a facial is that, if breakouts are your primary concern, a facial can help break the cycle of breakouts, so if you start a new skincare system right after a facial, you have better results.
    It's tough to unclog and decongest your pores by yourself at home, and spot treatments and creams can take 4 weeks to fully dissolve clogs. A pro can get the clogs out quickly and without any damage.

Part of the reason we breakout is that our skin isn't exfoliating itself properly. The dead skin cells get stuck in our pores and clog, our skin produces excess oil trying to slough off those dead cells. Vitamins A, C and E all promote healthy cell-turnover.
    This is why proper exfoliation, hydration and antioxidant supplements are essential to fighting breakouts.

Also try and avoid caffiene as much as possible, and try to take a moment every day to breathe deep and relax (or workout, or read, whatever helps you decompress). Stress really affects your skin.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Hi Guys!  Thanks for all the nice comments!  I don't have anything specific I'm trying to do, just figuring with all the money we're spending on pics, etc, I'd like to look my best!  With my skin, mostly I'm concerned with evening out its texture/tone.  I have a lot of acne scars/dark spots from my teenage years.  Luckily, I don't break out much now, but I'd love the idea of evening out my skin and making it "glow".  I think I might try that truth serum you recommended, Pink.  It is a little expensive, but is it worth it?  Have you every tried stuff from the Body Shop?  They also have a vitamin C serum I was thinking about trying. 

Any advice for other products that even skin tone?  (does C do that?)

My skin also tends to be dry.  I don't wash or moisturize at night (I probably should) or exfoliate.  I need a cleanser that doesn't dry my skin out.  And I was thinking a night cream might be a good idea.

The only other thing I'm always self conscious about is puffy under eyes/dark circles.  But hopefully my photographer can fix that in photoshop.  :)

Regarding working out/dieting:  I'm not really concerned about my weight, but my doctor told me I should try to lose about 5 to 10 lbs (to stay normal, my weight has been trending upwards the past 5 years).  I figured the wedding is good motivation.  :)  Seems like 5 lbs should be easy, but we already eat pretty healthy.  I probably need more exercise... stupid slowing down metabolism.  I never used to have to worry about my weight.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Focus on weight training for that 5 lbs if you are already getting some exercise and are concerned your metabolism is slowing down.  3 times a week, 20 minutes a day will increase your muscle mass (not bulk you up, mind you) and, thereby, regain your metabolism of yesteryear and you'll tone up.  The 5 lbs might not exactly come off because you'll lose fat and gain muscle, though, so be prepared to be slimmer, more toned, and a little heavier (or the same weight).

If Pinkkie suggested it it's worth trying.  She knows her cosmetics.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

definately start washing and moisturizing at night. C does help even out skin tone.
    For gentle face cleansers, I like:
    Purity by Philosophy
    Soy Face Cleanser by Fresh
    (soy also helps even skin tone)
    Cleansing Milk by Dior

all of these safely remove eyemakeup and are PH neutral and don't require the use of a toner afterwards. I used to think I couldn't wash my face at night because it got too dry if I did. Ever since I started using a gentler cleanser, I haven't had that problem.

the Ole Henriksen serum is worth it. It's more expensive because it uses orange and citrus extract as opposed to citrus oil as it's source of viatmin C. It also has less fillers and parabens (chemical preservatives). That Body Shop serum lists alcohol as an ingrediant. Not good if you have dry skin.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

In Response to Re: Advice: skin care before wedding?:
    Focus on weight training for that 5 lbs if you are already getting some exercise and are concerned your metabolism is slowing down.  3 times a week, 20 minutes a day will increase your muscle mass (not bulk you up, mind you) and, thereby, regain your metabolism of yesteryear and you'll tone up.  The 5 lbs might not exactly come off because you'll lose fat and gain muscle, though, so be prepared to be slimmer, more toned, and a little heavier (or the same weight).
    Posted by kargiver

Kar's right.  I started losing weight like crazy when I started weight training (plus, I was starving all the time and got to eat a lot more as well).  When my roommate and I decided to do more classes at the gym instead of the weights (because weights were overrun by New Year's Resolutioners), I plateaued pretty much immediately.  I started back on weights this week, and I can already see/feel the difference.

My gym will also do body fat analysis for you to let you know where you stand.  It's a better indicator than just the number on the scale (which, for some reason, is always high for me).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

OK, here's an idea.  I just saw tomorrow's trailer for The Doctors, and it's all about cutting edge beauty ideas...ready?  Bet you're not.....

A sperm facial.  Really.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

LOL, Kar!  On a related note, whenever I say the word "facial" to my DH, he makes a dirty joke... apparently (which I didn't know until recently) that word means something ENTIRELY different to men!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

OK, here's an idea.  I just saw tomorrow's trailer for The Doctors, and it's all about cutting edge beauty ideas...ready?  Bet you're not..... A sperm facial.  Really.
    Posted by kargiver

I've actually heard of that, sadly.  It was an entire story arc on Nip/Tuck.  I believe the sellers made lots and lots of money.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

kar- LOL I have heard it's good for your skin ;)
    But chicken eggs are a cheaper. So's goat's milk and yogurt. There are plenty of skin care products made with royal jelly, soy(which our bodies recognize as estrogen-like), animal sperm, umbilical and placental membranes and other things like that.
    Basically, anything that's high in protein, fat and hormones is great for aging skin.
    And beauty compnaies will use anythign if it makes them a buck.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

And beauty compnaies will use anythign if it makes them a buck.
    Posted by pinkkittie27

As an added bonus, there's virtually an unlimited supply of sperm in this world.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I guess I'm behind the curve!  And, there's a double entendre regarding "facial"?  I don't wanna know...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

I guess I'm behind the curve!  And, there's a double entendre regarding "facial"?  I don't wanna know...
    Posted by kargiver

Just take what you suggested earlier and back up that train of thought to wonder how someone figured it out.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

and don't google "facial".  (according to my husband's advice)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yeah, that could be a mistake. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Do you meet the product supplier before the facial? Or do they just stock up and wait for buyers? Also, where do you get this?

Not that I'm looking for one. But I have a friend who will try anything and she needs to know about this. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Will this "friend" report back to us?  ;)