Are You Making Anything for Your Wedding?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reader001. Show Reader001's posts

Are You Making Anything for Your Wedding?

I'm making a few things. Any DIYers here today?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

Re: Are You Making Anything for Your Wedding?

I did my ceremony programs myself, and I'm so proud!!!  LOL!  They actually came out really nice, and I was pretty impressed.

We also kind of DIY with the centerpieces.  We bought hurricane lamps and battery-operated votives from Christmas Tree Shop on the cheap, and we're going to sit them on top of some square mirrors, and surround them with black and white colored stones.  They're really pretty and were SO cheap!

Reader, what are you making?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

I made my cake toppers. Well technically I had roses on top of my cake but on the cake table as the "bride and groom", i painted two small ceramic penguins; one with blues eyes for DH and one with brown eyes for me.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

I will do my place cards. Don't feel like paying someone to do those when all people are going to do is look at them for 2 seconds to see where they are sitting....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

I will do my place cards. Don't feel like paying someone to do those when all people are going to do is look at them for 2 seconds to see where they are sitting....
    Posted by Sept2010Bride

Yes, we're doing these ourselves too.  I bought mine at Michael's for $5 for a pack of 48...you can just use your printer at home to print them.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reader001. Show Reader001's posts

I am making way too much stuff, but budget was an issue and I wanted more than I could afford, so... I made or am making:
    • Invitations:  layered paper on cardstock with a post card reply, reception card, and directions with a map on the other side
    • Programs: I wasn't going to make them, but I met with my minister and he mentioned as how they're helpful so folks know what's going on. What the heck, why not? I'm using the pattern from my invites and the leftover cardstock as the cover.
    • Centerpieces: I'm printing photos of flowers on vellum and making luminaries. I'll put them in a glass dish with amber glass stones around them.
    • Favors: I wanted to decorate candles, but decided to decorate votive holders instead. I'm using a laser paper that is a decal transfer, so it will be clear except for the design printed on them.
    • I'm making a seating chart that I'm putting in a largish frame I had hanging around.
    • Oh, and the thousand origami cranes. That was a stupid idea, but I'm committed now!Surprised
    I think I might be forgetting something...

I don't know what I was thinking!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

In Response to Re: Are You Making Anything for Your Wedding?:
    Yes, we're doing these ourselves too.  I bought mine at Michael's for $5 for a pack of 48...you can just use your printer at home to print them.
    Posted by kmt09

Kmt, good idea! I was thinking of buying some very thick pink paper...at The Paper Source of Michaels and getting a silver marker and just writing them out myself.

I am terrified about the programs. I am going to need your help with those!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

omg, I love Michael's. I could live there. If I go, I have FI call me after about 20 minutes and tell me to get out of the store. Tongue out

I made my invitations--drew a design in Illustrator, then laid everything out in InDesign and had Kinko's print them for $5. I also made the card box, table numbers, table cards, favors, and I'm skipping programs so no need to make those.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reader001. Show Reader001's posts

Table numbers! Augh!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yup, as much as I detest her, I did a Martha Stewart thing for our table numbers. We grew little sugar pumpkins, and I cut slits in the stems to hold the card stock with a mailbox self-adhesive number on each.  I affixed Fall leaf stickers (small, but "real" looking, not cartoonish) to embellish the numbers on both sides of the cards.  See bottom of photo.

Also, I printed our place cards and put red or gold stars on the back to indicate the meals those people got so service would go more smoothly.

DK110908_113.jpg picture by kargiver

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from somethingold. Show somethingold's posts

I made:

invitations - I took a photo at the beach, sepia toned it and used it on vellum as an overlay on an ivory card stock tied with brown twine (my dear friend and officiant is an art director so he helped me see this vision through, they were perfect for us)

favors - really put them together more than made them lavendar sachets in organza bags tied with silk ribbon and hot glued a sprig of lavendar to the outside
    we also had little organza bags of salt water taffy (everysingle thing was taken! though I hid aside one of each for myself)

centerpieces (verdigris pots with lavendar plants and a collection of beach stones) all of these were taken as well and I love thinking of them in people's gardens

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

I don't know how you ladies do this. I am just not creative/artisitc at all!

I could never make invitations....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

I am not creative/artistic/coordinated, but we managed to scrape a few things together on our own :) 
    We wanted to give our invites a little omph... (ok, I freaked out when they arrived and refused to send them out) We bought heavier red cardstock & mounted them with scrapbooking tape. 
    I designed & printed out programs, which I am super proud of!  We used the same graphic from our invites, and them had them printed at OfficeMax.
    I also put together a surprise "favor" for DH (who has been battling cancer for the past 2 years & still has bald patches to prove it).  I ordered awareness pins & attached them to business cards I printed with an invitation for each of our guests to wear one in silent support.  I didn't actually "make" them, but there was some work involved.   Just about everyone had one on as they walked in for the ceremony & DH had no idea where they came from :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

I did invitations, table numbers and pew bows.  I think that's it.

Liz - I'm really not that creative either but managed to pull it off somehow.  But mine were very simple.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reader001. Show Reader001's posts

I am not creative/artistic/coordinated, but we managed to scrape a few things together on our own :)  We wanted to give our invites a little omph... (ok, I freaked out when they arrived and refused to send them out) We bought heavier red cardstock & mounted them with scrapbooking tape.  I designed & printed out programs, which I am super proud of!  We used the same graphic from our invites, and them had them printed at OfficeMax. I also put together a surprise "favor" for DH (who has been battling cancer for the past 2 years & still has bald patches to prove it).  I ordered awareness pins & attached them to business cards I printed with an invitation for each of our guests to wear one in silent support.  I didn't actually "make" them, but there was some work involved.   Just about everyone had one on as they walked in for the ceremony & DH had no idea where they came from :)
    Posted by tibird

Wow! I hope I'm able to think up something this sweet.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

I also put together a surprise "favor" for DH (who has been battling cancer for the past 2 years & still has bald patches to prove it).  I ordered awareness pins & attached them to business cards I printed with an invitation for each of our guests to wear one in silent support.  I didn't actually "make" them, but there was some work involved.   Just about everyone had one on as they walked in for the ceremony & DH had no idea where they came from :)
    Posted by tibird

That is awesome.  You just made my eyes burn...trying not to cry at work!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

I am not creative/artistic/coordinated, but we managed to scrape a few things together on our own :)  We wanted to give our invites a little omph... (ok, I freaked out when they arrived and refused to send them out) We bought heavier red cardstock & mounted them with scrapbooking tape.  I designed & printed out programs, which I am super proud of!  We used the same graphic from our invites, and them had them printed at OfficeMax. I also put together a surprise "favor" for DH (who has been battling cancer for the past 2 years & still has bald patches to prove it).  I ordered awareness pins & attached them to business cards I printed with an invitation for each of our guests to wear one in silent support.  I didn't actually "make" them, but there was some work involved.   Just about everyone had one on as they walked in for the ceremony & DH had no idea where they came from :)
    Posted by tibird

Wow, Ti. That is so amazing.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I would have liked to do more DYI stuff, but I knew it would stress me out too much.  I'm really looking forward to helping my FSIL out with stuff for her wedding in the fall!!  We're going to make bouquets out of silk flowers and table numbers out of pumpkins.  Not sure what else.

I will definitely be putting together a scrapbook later on.  I'm going to print out our ceremony and all of the song lyrics and paste them in there along with photos and table numbers and all of that.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

Thanks.. I didn't know how many "extended" family members even knew about his condition, but everybody wore one and it touched DH to be see that they all cared.  My brother & SIL even wore a dress/tie in his color, as did a few others which really got me :)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

I will definitely be putting together a scrapbook later on.  I'm going to print out our ceremony and all of the song lyrics and paste them in there along with photos and table numbers and all of that.
    Posted by framerican51008

Fra - that is a great idea!!  A friend made me a scrapbook that I absolutely LOVE!  But yours sounds so personal with the ceremony & songs... such a treasure!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Thanks Ti :o)  I figure it will be nice for our kids to see that stuff 15-20 years from now.  My parents don't even remember their first dance song!

And your favors sound incredibly sweet.  I hope there weren't TOO many misty eyes!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from november2009. Show november2009's posts

We are making as much as we can ourselves.  Place cards, menu cards, programs and table numbers.  Bought supplies for these at the Paper Source's 50% off sale they started around late June and they are still having.  For favors we are doing donations to the Dana Farber Cancer Center.  For each table we will be giving in the name of someone close to us who has or had cancer and will be doing some sort of photo montage of the person and a little blurb about them.  I volunteer at Dana and really wanted to do more than just a favor scroll.
    I am also going to be making our bouquets.  I took a great class on how to make your own bouquets and have been practicing.  Never thought I would be able to do this but I am getting good at this and I am looking forward to it.   It is a great "excuse" to have flowers in the house all the time. Can not recommend this class enough if you are even considering this.  Here is link http://cassflowers.com/wedding-bouquets-class.html. These people, Cass Flowers, are also going to be teaching a class on how to make your own wedding centerpieces http://cassflowers.com/wececl.html.
    Also going to make bathroom baskets, out of town bags or baskets and some sort of something to reserve the first two rows of seats for the ceremony.  Thinking about making an aisle runner.  Is anyone doing this?  How?  We are also going to be having some young children and are thinking about doing some sort of activity bag/kit for them.  Is anyone doing this?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

In Response to Re: Are You Making Anything for Your Wedding? : Kmt, good idea! I was thinking of buying some very thick pink paper...at The Paper Source of Michaels and getting a silver marker and just writing them out myself. I am terrified about the programs. I am going to need your help with those!
    Posted by Sept2010Bride

The place cards we got are white with a silver border...just download the template, type out the names, print and fold them!  Very easy and cheap, just the way I like it.  :)

Liz, I had no clue what to do when I started the programs, but it was actually really easy.  It ended up costing us a bit after buying the cardstock and everything, but it was worth it.  I am really shocked at how nice they look.  I'm more than happy to help you with yours!  :)

Just a side story -- FI and I were home watching TV one night, so I started working on the programs...folding, putting the heart stickers on them, then putting the elastic cord bows on to hold the pages together.  After a couple minutes, FI sat down on the floor with me and started putting all the bows on the programs!  He refused to stop until we were done.  It was the cutest thing.  :)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

You should post a picture of them :)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

You should post a picture of them :)
    Posted by Sept2010Bride

You have an email!  :)

Sections
Shortcuts