Boston.com soon to charge fee; will you pay to post here?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from november2009. Show november2009's posts

Boston.com soon to charge fee; will you pay to post here?

The Boston Business Journal is reporting that Boston.com will not longer be free. 
    I was just curious how many of us will pay to keep coming here?  I am a Globe subscriber (maybe the last one left) and don't like the idea that I will have to pay the Globe twice.   Do you think people will pay for Boston.com?  Do you think this will cause subscribers to cancel their subscriptions to the print edition?  I can not see paying for both.  It will be a shame to lose or diminish the wedding community on Boston.com; the people who post here are so much more sane that The Knot posters.  Here is the article from the BBJ:
    http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/blog/mass_roundup/2009/08/bostoncom_may_soon_come_at_a_price.html?ana=e_boston_blog

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Re: Boston.com soon to charge fee; will you pay to post here?

If it's true, that's a real shame.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

What? That makes me very sad. I am so looking forward to one day asking you all for advice :( I really don't want to have to pay for it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Boo. It depends on how much the fee is. I feel like having the milk for free for so long makes me not want to buy the cow.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

I won't pay for it.  You can always set up a proxy by establishing a group on Facebook, the catch is that everyone will have access to your real name etc.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

That's true, Wendy98.  I don't know about anyone else, though, but I like the anonymity. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from samanthastevens. Show samanthastevens's posts

Why do they have to have access to your real name?  You can set up a dummy account that you use for your group, just like you do here.  I know lots of gamers on Facebook that have 6, 7 accounts so that they can "give" themselves food, tools, etc. in the games.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Wait till they start charging for FB.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

I would imagine that, if you pay for the actual paper, you won't also have to pay for online access. 

I wouldn't pay for it.  I would join a free group elsewhere, and I don't really care if y'all know my real name.  But then I feel like it would become more of an isolated group, unless we found some way of advertising it ourselves.

Also, it could be that you would pay for online news, but not the message boards.  For example, the NYT only gives you a couple days of news online.  After about a week, you have to pay to search the archives.  That's not really a big deal.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Wait, your name isn't Lucy?? And I will not pay. And you all know my name is Liz. I'm not really private at all. I am friends with KMT on FB, she knows everything about me. That would be pretty annoying though if we did have to pay, what gives?!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I wouldn't pay, but I agree with Lucy that it will probably be like the NYT website where you pay for archived articles, not today's news.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

I would absolutely not pay. I was a Boston Globe subscriber until they sold my cell phone number to a marketing company that called me a minimum of 3 times a day. I will gladly go to their website and help them earn advertising $$ but I'm never giving them another dime.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

In Response to Re: Boston.com soon to charge fee; will you pay to post here?:
    [QUOTE]Why do they have to have access to your real name?  You can set up a dummy account that you use for your group, just like you do here.  I know lots of gamers on Facebook that have 6, 7 accounts so that they can "give" themselves food, tools, etc. in the games.
    Posted by samanthastevens[/QUOTE]
    I suppose you could do that but I would find that too bothersome. I like the idea of this being pretty anonymous, granted it is not full proof but I just don't want to deal with multiple personalities :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

I guess since the paper is up for sale, we have to wait and see.
    Now that I live in N NH, I would rather pay a small fee for use for say 24 hours, when I want it. It makes more sense than the cost of the paper and either postage or dealer fees that add up to a cost 365 days a year.  I miss the real paper, and hate some aspects of the online experience, like articles on video  where you see someone read something - and could have read a 4 sentence synopsis in much less time.  I hate the time waste of 4 page turns to get a 6 inch single column story out, because of the many ads, manufactured celebrity news and such.  Hate the articles on someone who got arrested for erratic driving because they had snakes in their pocket,  and newsflashes about twitter, like that is news.
         For visuals that mean something, for lists of vendors you can contact with a click, or the immediacy of short posts and forum exchanges,  I prefer e Globe. 
         If they charged every time you dial up, I would not pay.  To get on and off 6 times in 24 hours and pay 6 fees,  for what might be a total of 16 minutes?  no way  I would read and post here, or stay current on Boston area news.

I expect that when I finish helping my cousin plan, and no longer come on line as often to the wedding sites, or to read and send her wedding info,  I will be back to checking in a few times a week anyway, not as regularly.  We shall see.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I guess it depends on how much it is a year.  I'd consider it part of my entertainment budget.  If it's $25/year that's only $1 week for all this fun.  It would be a shame to have to pay, and I suppose if all you ladies left there'd be no point in staying...sigh.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

I hate when there's a story I really want to read, but they only have a video link for it.

We're at work, people!  I can surf the internet, but it's a little too obvious that I'm not paying attention if the news is going.  Also, I like to listen to music, and I can't do both at the same time.  Plus, like you said, I can read it in about 1/8 of the time someone else can read it to me.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

No freaking way. There are plenty of free sites out there that offer the same things as BDC.  They'd be fools to charge.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brighton1. Show Brighton1's posts

There's no way I'd pay for this.  These boards are ridiculously slow, plus there are so many other free boards out there. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

No way would I pay.  The hate the Globe anyway, but I would miss the boards. I'm sure there are other places we could migrate to though.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

FWIW, had I been considering paying before, I certainly wouldn't now that the Weddings Discussions page is all jacked.  I'm actually considering going away until it's fixed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Oh, I'm sad!  I just discovered these boards!  And I know I will need help with wedding planning, so I hope they don't start charging soon.  I don't think I'd be willing to pay for it.  <sigh>  If you guys do start a group somewhere else, please let me know!  This board is actually useful as compared to the other useless boards I have found.