Bridesmaid Gifts

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Bridesmaid Gifts

Okay I know that this has been covered before but I need a few ideas for bridesmaids gifts.  Unfortunately, money is tight because I have 10 BRIDESMAIDS!  So FI and I decided the max we could spend is $50 per person.  Does anyone have any suggestions that would keep me within my budget?

I am not requiring them to have hair or makeup done so I won't be paying for that but I did invite all of them to be treated to manicures the day before the wedding.  The cost of their manicures doesn't factor into my gift budget so I still have the whole $50 to work with.

Also, I've looked into a few options but I'm not sure if they are good ideas.  I was thinking either a travel cosmetics case or a monogramed tote bag.  Our wedding is beach themed and my mom bought the girls all matching sandals for the reception so it kind of fits together.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

Re: Bridesmaid Gifts

Does your dress designer offer any accessories? I'm planning on getting my girls the sandals and purse/cosmetic bag that matches their dresses. I like the monogramed bag idea as well. I received that for a wedding I was in. They filled it with two bottles of wine and some maple syrup from vineyards with their same last name.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

The bridesmaids dresses are from David's Bridal.  I've looked at their bags but I'm not in love with any of them. 

I like the idea of filling the bag with a few bottles of wine.  That sounds like a nice touch.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Don't get them anything wedding related. Personally, I'd get them GC at their favorite restaurant, salon, DD [if they are DD addicts] or someplace you know they like to go.  While monogrammed bags are nice, I have more than I could ever possibly use.  My makeup bags usually come free w/ my cosmetic purchases at Macy's.  Those suckers get grungy after a while and I just replace them whenever I buy stuff at bonus days.  HTH.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gonzo130. Show Gonzo130's posts

My cousin got married on the Cape last year and it was oviously beachy.  She gave us monogrammed straw beach bags, beach towels, and JCrew flip flops (to also wear at the reception).  I thought it was a good gift.  She also paid for our shoes and half of our hair and make up.

I like the bag idea and something beachy.  The caveat is that I have not been in a ton of weddings but my friends who have been have like 20 monogrammed bags that they have received as BM gifts.  So, I'd say to consider if any of your BMs have that situation.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pearls are beach-themed, right?

How about these?  I was very happy with my freshwater pearl purchase from BN.

Pink Freshwater Pearl studs

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Kar - Thanks I really like that idea.  It's made it to the top of my list!

Thanks everyone else for the comments about the bags.  I like the idea but I don't want to get them for everyone if they are never going to use them.  I love tote bags and use them often but I'm not so sure that the other girls feel the same way.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Ohh beach themed! I LOVE the idea of starfish pendants! Something like this:http://www.etsy.com/search_results.php?search_type=handmade&search_query=star+fish+pendant&page=1

and clc, holy macaroni, 10 BM's!! I guess that isn't too bad, though. My boss is having 12!! I almost fell off my chair when she told me that.

I am definitely getting my girls garnet studs. I found a great deal at Jareds. I hope they like them. I am also getting them coach wrislets, in hopes that they can use them at the wedding, and afterwards. I only have 4 girls in my wedding so it is keeping costs down.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

clc--if you like the pearl idea, keep an eye on this set:
    http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=324947&CategoryID=568
    It is not currently in your price range, but Macy's has really good jewelry sales periodically.
    Next time you go by macy's ask at the jewelry counter if they know when their next sale is going to be.  Also, watch out for coupons in the Macy's circular, and/or track the price of these online.  You could get freshwater pearl necklace and earrings for within your budget.  I got these for my bridesmaids (they were within your budget), and they were very elegant.  Every lady should have a set of pearls.  I know they have gotten repeat wears. :) If you are registered at Macy's, there are additional discounts you can get, on top of any sales.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Liz - I love the starfish pendant necklaces but I know at least 3 of the girls already own them.  It's tough because 5 of the girls are from the Cape so the normal beachy, Cape jewelry they already own.  I also looked at the different varieties of clasp bracelets but I can't find one that both I love and I know they don't already own.

Thanks for all of the pearl ideas, I'm loving them.  Maybe I can find some good deals around Valentines Day!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

clc, YAY!!   I almost didn't post 'cause I sound like a broken record about Blue Nile, I know!  LOL  I really love those pink pearls.  As an aside, I totally went through a "pink" phase the year after I got divorced.  If I'd found them in 2006, "Year of Pink," I'd own them for sure.

Did you check out Jas's Macy's suggestion?  It's a beautiful set, and I don't know if the price changed recently, but the sale price of $33 is in your price range!  It gets 4.6 stars out of 5 with 12 reviews, too, so they are probably very uniform and have a nice sheen and few mars, I'm assuming.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

clc,
    I may be wrong, but I would assume, that jewelry would be at it's highest price before days like Valentine's.
    IMO it would be a lot wiser to wait until after the "day". Just my two cents.

PS. pearls are always nice!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

kar--yes the price has come down since I posted that link!  I hope clc checks it out.  They have it in store (at least the one I went to in Downtown Crossing last year), so you can see in person before you buy.  I hope no one ever pays full price for jewelry (or pretty much anything) at Macy's.  They have such good sales! 

As I said, that was the set I got for my bridesmaids, and they are really nice.  Kar is correct--nice sheen, few imperfections, pretty uniform.  They look elegant and added a really nice touch to the bridesmaids' ensemble.  I know they have been re-worn for job interviews and special occasions since the wedding, and I feel happy to have given the girls such a classy and practical jewelry set.

If you want to see pics of my bridesmaids wearing the sets, let me know.  I can try to figure out to obscure their faces, so you can see the length and size of the necklaces when they are being worn.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonslp. Show bostonslp's posts

We got married in the fall, so for my girls I did a "cozy" theme and gave them things that you might want to use as it starts to get cooler.  They got a heat pack (that you can warm up in the microwave), a pashmina, slipper socks and something else that i'm drawing a blank on (must not have been very good!)
    Maybe you could do a beach theme?  give a fun towel, toe ring, beach bag?  i'm sure there are many ideas - i just can't think straight right now. 
    in the end, i think that whatever  you give, the girls will love it and know that it is meaningful and part of a very special day. you are very generous to give them all manicures - they are a lucky bunch :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Kar and Jas - I did check out the link posted by Jas and I like that set a lot.  However, the price is showing up as $80 when I click on it.  Am I not seeing something or has the price increased since you posted last?

Also, I found out that I get a 10% discount from Blue Nile through work so the pearl earrings Kar posted will be my fall back. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Too bad - I see $80, too, now.  Looks like you missed the sale, unfortunately.

(I also get a 10% discount on Blue Nile and still do even though I left work over a year ago.  They don't care that the email account associated with Working Advantage (the partner plan that gave us our discounts) isn't working anymore, I guess!  YAY!)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

the pearls were down to $33 when kar posted about them a few days ago.  The sale looks obvious on the website.  They cross out the old price and print the new price below it in red. If you have time before the wedding, just continue to keep an eye on them.  they will likely go on sale again, but who knows when...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

If I had 10 bridesmaids I would set aside some money for Valium.

I have always thought it nicest when those in the wedding received  comparable worth but different  gifts,  as though you were shopping for individual birthdays.  If 3 would love a particular delicate or beachy jewelry set,  get it for them,  and something totally different for those who would not care for it, or might have it.
        Tote bags may be fine for people never in a wedding,  who also rarely go to the beach.  Lousy gift for someone who has given away 6 they do not need or want, and kept 2.  Monogrammed things cannot be returned, what a waste.

So maybe 2-3 bm's would like them.  Several environmentally conscious ladies might prefer 4 light rip-stop nylon reusable cloth shopping bags,  which take abuse,  can have meat juices washed out,  unlike a tote,   and 4 cost the same as 1 tote. 
          Very lightweight sports or  duffle bags with a lock, that meet specs for carry-on airline use and hold loads more than a tote are nice,  and unlike a tote,  they can be searched without taking everything out.  Plus they are completely covered, no top to spill contents in a car, or that thieves can reach into when your back is turned, at an exercise club, waiting at an airline gate or in line at a cash register.

I would say,  different gifts for different bridesmaid will be easier to do successfully,  and more likely that each jewelry or other item sees lots of use.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

I cannot imagine one gift that would appeal to ten different women.  Certainly, not everyone needs a beach bag, nor does everyone like pearls. 

I think the most thoughtful thing to get is something that you think each one would enjoy, be it a gift card, a beach bag, a piece of jewelry, a shawl, or whatever.  

Good luck!! 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

I'm just reviving this thread because I thought of an awesome idea. I decided to get my girls personalized cookbooks and aprons. I found a website called Tastebooks that lets you browse recipes and add them to a cookbook. You can either add group of recipes or search their database for individual recipes. Not everyone in my wedding party can cook, but they have a bunch of different themes - kid friendly, one pot, 5 ingredients, desserts, etc. I'm putting the books together based on the girls' lifestyles and preferences. I'm super excited about it! Right now I'm working on the one for SIL who is allergic to gluten!

It's also kind of special to me because FI proposed in the middle of my cooking class at Cambridge School of Culinary Arts while I was still wearing my apron! Everyone always comments on it when they see the pictures!

Anyway, just thought I'd share!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

That is an AWESOME idea!!!
    I think it would also make a great shower gift to a bride.

I never understood aprons, but ever since my best friend got me one for my birthday last year I've been in love. I wish I could just wear aprons all the time!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Friar that is such a good idea.  And if I remember correctly you're doing the cookie mix as favors, right?  That's a very cute theme you have!

I ended up buying the necklaces and earrings set that Jas suggested.  I was able to find them on sale as well!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Friar, that idea is just about perfect, because I have been wracking my brains trying to come up with a gift idea for my SO (he cooks).

THANK YOU!

(Think I'll skip the apron, though)

PK - you can, actually.  Victoria's Secret has started selling apron-like outfits... Wink

ETA: Since I know you were all thinking it, yes, it will probably be a bacon-themed cookbook.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYEBride2010. Show NYEBride2010's posts

Friar, That is the COOLEST idea! One of my bm's is a vegan so she would love that I'm sure.  Thanks for sharing!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

lucy, all the men in my family cook and wear aprons.  No one wants to get their clothes all flour or grease, not even a man unless he's at a BBQ or eating while reclining. ;)

Sections
Shortcuts