Chivari chairs. Worth it?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Re: Chivari chairs. Worth it?

Wed, where is your reception? I think our chairs are just beige? Cici...can you help??

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

As long as the chairs aren't hideous [ie, chipped metal w/ ripped seats], I seriously wouldn't worry about it.  The chairs at my venue happened to be chivari but I didn't know it when I booked. As long as people have a chair to sit on, they are going to be looking at the centerpieces, the nicely dressed guests, and the happy bride and groom. NO ONE, other than prospective brides, is going to notice the chairs.  Spend your money on something more fun, like a massage on the HM.  Good luck. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rapunzel41. Show Rapunzel41's posts

I said the same thing about chairs.  Did we want to pay $7 per chair for the fancy ones or $2 per chair for the white folding ones?  Quite frankly, I can't remember what the chairs looked like at any wedding I've ever attended, and for a difference of $400 that can go towards food or drink or photos, I'm fine with the white folding chairs!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Cici, I just friended you. And if they are burgundy, which I remember now, it will be fine because my wedding is "fall themed"

Crisis averted!

ALF, where did you get married where they just had them? Lucky you :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Liz, if you don't remember the chairs no one else will either.  If budget is not a concern, spend on everything that might enhance the look.  But, why spend $$ on something that no one will even notice is missing?  We could have had $100 flower arrangements on all the tables along with our little pumpkins and tea lights, but we saved $1000 by not having them.  Would the tables have looked prettier with them?  Probably.  But, they looked fabulous the way they were, too, and it wasn't worth $1000 to make it even better looking to us, and I'm SURE no one was sitting there thinking what a bust the reception was because we didn't have a floral arrangement on their table.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Oh ok...those aren't bad! Thank cici :)

Wow, I keep forgetting how gorgeous our venue is!!!!
    P.S. I also think that more sturdier chairs like the ones in the picture above are more comfortable than chivari, anyway.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Those look comfortable and classy.  That's what you'd be replacing?  No way!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

Those chairs are just as classy as chiavari chairs. My venue uses literally the same padded metal chair that my mom uses at her sewing machine. They include chair covers in the package so I talked them into renting me chiavari chairs for the same price. I can't wait to see how they look in the room!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Liz, my reception was in a restaurant believe it or not.  It was at the Lyceum in Salem. If they weren't actual chivari chairs, they sure looked like them to me. 

Liz, those chairs look comfy and nice.  The photo is gorgeous. Where is your reception going to be? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdd01. Show jdd01's posts

Personally, chivari chairs were really important to me.  I was looking for a certain updated look so we went with a venue that had them as their standard chair.  I went to an office party with chivari chairs over the holidays and so I was able to test their comfort level for over an hour.  To be honest, I made a note they aren't the most comfortable chair when you first sit in them, but I was fine for the rest of the hour I sat there.  They are pretty small so I'm not sure if a larger person would feel as comfortable.  Again, I was looking for a specific look and I'm assuming people wont be sitting in them for more than an hour during dinner.  They'll be up dancing right after hopefully.

Hopefully that helps with your decision.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

those chairs are just fine. I honestly don't recall what the chairs looked like at my wedding. I usually don't notice chairs unless they're terrribly uncomfortable, dirty or the rusty metal folding kind we had at high school dances.

ETA: nevermind, I just looked at my pictures. The aquarium had chiavari chairs as standard.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

It is the Henderson House in Weston.

Jdd, if my chairs were hideous I would def go for the chivari! But since I don't want to pony up the dough, I'm fine with what they have. Also, our centerpieces are circus roses, so the burgundy will be just fine.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

And cici, I know! I feel like I am having my reception at someone's grand house!

I love it :) How many people do you think you will have? I think we will top at around 100.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdd01. Show jdd01's posts

The pictures online look lovely and it seems like the chairs fit the decor.  I'm sure it will look beautiful, especially with the circus roses!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Cici, I really want chocolate linens, so I will see what they have. We are just meeting with them to do the linen stuff, which is SO early, but my parents are moving to Florida in 2 weeks, so I wanted to get this done before they go. My mom won't be back until my shower, which isn't until August, and we won't have our tasting until September.

ETA: we would have our tasting in August as well. My mind is all over the place.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Liz, I have attended a lot of weddings. Some had Chivari Chairs - some did not.
    Let me just say this - the Chivari Chairs are the most uncomfortable chairs of any. Their seats are just too tiny for a normal sized adult person and the straight up back is so uncomfortable.
    They may look good, when your guests enter the reception area and the area is not filled up, but after that no one sees the chairs and no one cares. 
    I never understood, why these chairs are in such demand. Spend your money else where.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Pingo, I agree with the lack of comfort they have!

We are going to go with the chairs they have.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

In my personal opinion, special chairs or chair covers are the very biggest waste of money in the history of the wedding industry.  When the tables are set up with tablecloths, placesettings, and linen, flowers and candles, the room will look beautiful.

Someone has brainwashed people into thinking that a guest would care about chairs. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

Have to disagree.  There is nothing worse then going in to a wonderfully decorated ballroom and seeing butt ugly chairs.  It can break a look.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nantucket4life. Show nantucket4life's posts

I think if its in your budget, the upgrade will truly help heep the polished look going. If you can't swing it, is there a cheaper option for chair covers and bows? I have seen those look so pretty but only if done with tasteful colors.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Most venues have "venue-appropriate" chairs.

Your local VFW might have wooden or metal folding chairs while most ballrooms, hotels, country clubs will have something more appropriate.

I've never noticed a venue chair in my entire life unless it's uncomfortable or broken. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

I *hate* chair covers.  Screams 80s wedding to me, but that's just me!

I have seen some hotels with really old, ugly chairs, so if that was the case I *might* pay for chivari.  However, if the chairs are decent, the chivari's are way to expensive to be worth it and I don't think the guests really notice them.  At least I never have... I can't even tell you what the chairs looked like at the last 5 weddings I went to!

The pics you guys posted of the chairs at HH look totally fine to me!  And they actually look very comfy, which is important too!  I'd rather be comfortable in a mediocre looking chair than uncomfortable in a beautiful chair. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I'm sorry, but unless you are talking about chipped/paint peeling metal folding chairs or stained/ripped cushioned chairs, how ugly can a chair possibly be?  Once people sit down, you can't see the chair for the most part anyway.  I fail to see how anything other than something from a HS assembly room and circa 1974 could possible 'ruin the look' of any wedding. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

I see where everyone is coming from on this post. However, I don't consider the chairs at the Henderson House ugly. So I think you are fine!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Alf:  you wouldn't believe it, but one venue we visited had really old, UGLY chairs.  They were terrible... of course the standard package included chair covers, but as I said, i reallly don't like those either.  So if we had gone with that venue, we woudl have HAD to rent chairs and they charged $8 per chair for chivaril (not sure if they had cheaper options for renting chairs, we never got that far).  Needless to say, we chose another venue.

Just saying these things do happen!