Color Question

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Re: Color Question

In Response to Re: Color Question:
    [QUOTE]Guys in tuxes and sneakers is old hat.  For whatever reason, they feel more comfortable and 'young' when they were sneakers w/ the tux rather than the rented shoes.  I think it's silly myself, but I also think it's silly when the bride wears flip flops.  It's supposed to be a lighthearted look.  I think it shows that they are light on brains, but to each their own.  :-)
    Posted by ALF72[/QUOTE]

Yeah.  I could see wearing flip flops if you're getting married on the beach.  Or, if it's a summer wedding and you're changing for the reception, anyway.  if I tried to walk in flip flops in a wedding dress, though, I would trip over the hem constantly. Not really worth it.

I think the sneakers take away from the overall picture, though.  I'm looking at the pretty dresses thinking 'How nice!"  and then I get distracted by the groomsmen's feet.  I never want to be looking at a bunch of men's feet.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Color Question : Yeah.  I could see wearing flip flops if you're getting married on the beach.  Or, if it's a summer wedding and you're changing for the reception, anyway.  if I tried to walk in flip flops in a wedding dress, though, I would trip over the hem constantly. Not really worth it. I think the sneakers take away from the overall picture, though.  I'm looking at the pretty dresses thinking 'How nice!"  and then I get distracted by the groomsmen's feet.  I never want to be looking at a bunch of men's feet.
    Posted by lucy7368[/QUOTE]
    lol, I don't know any of these people, just found that picture while searching the net for purple and red weddings. I personally can't stand that look. I think flip flops are cute for a beach wedding, though.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

To me, the picture Peonie found of the bridal party in purple and deep red flowers just points out how you can't see the bouquets...  I would think that if you're going to spend $100 per bouquet that you'd want them to stand out and be stunning, not melt away into the dresses.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

While we are on the topic of color, do navy BM dresses and black tuxes clash?

Sorry to change the subject Stef, but I don't want to start a whole new thread. I always loved navy blue as the main color, but don't black and navy clash? How would that work in a wedding?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

My brother got married last October and his wife's bm's wore navy blue. But the gm and my brother wore tan suits, so I'm not really a big help. I think it could be done, but it would look a little dark to me. Maybe if the guys wore a silver vest with a navy tie?

She had us carry bright blue hydrangea, it looked stunning.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[QUOTE]While we are on the topic of color, do navy BM dresses and black tuxes clash? Sorry to change the subject Stef, but I don't want to start a whole new thread. I always loved navy blue as the main color, but don't black and navy clash? How would that work in a wedding?
    Posted by Peonie[/QUOTE]

Black and navy clash.  If you want navy BM dresses, I would say go with gray tuxes.  But I also know that people do navy and black, and it's not a huge deal. Maybe it depends on finding the right navy.

And I agree with Kar about the picture - you can hardly see the bouquets. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

I don't think you can see those bouquets because they are dark purple flowers, if she had used bright red, you could definitely have seen them!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefmay. Show stefmay's posts

UPDATE: I met with my florist this morning to finalize my bouquets. For my bridesmaids I am going to have the dark and bright red dahlias, which I love, but she is going to add some purple iris and green hypercium berries to the mix. She said it would look gorgeous, and I trust her judgement. Lucy and Kar, I get what you're saying about that picture Peonie posted, but those flowers don't have the dramatic red I was going for. My bouquets are going to have 18 dahlias in them in a mixture of deep and bright reds, so they will definitely "pop". And my florist said iris' and green berries show very well next to a deep purple. I made sure to bring in a swatch of the dresses. Thank you all for your imput! I am getting married August 22nd, so I will make sure to post a picture of them!
    -Stef

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Sounds beautiful! Who is your florist? And what does your bouquet look like??

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Stef, as long as they pop and you get the look you're paying for, that's perfect!!!  I'm glad you feel better having met with the florist. 

(That's why I left our flower choices and colors TOTALLY up to ours.  I didn't think about it one second and was completely surprised on our wedding day when the flowers arrived - surprised in a good way, I mean simply because I hadn't been involved in choosing them.  That approach wouldn't work for many brides, I'm sure, but I figured she was the professional and had done 100s of weddings and wouldn't let me down.)

As for navy and black, eh, I'm thinking it's not the best combo, either, unless the navy dresses had a black sash, or the tuxes had navy vests.  Guys in all black and girls in all navy looks like one of the groups got dressed in the dark and grabbed what they thought was the other color.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefmay. Show stefmay's posts

Thank you, Kar! Sept2010, I am using Faris Farm Flowers in Westboro. Small shop, but Faris has done weddings for over 20 years now. She is so relaxed and just knows what she is talking about. My bouquet is going to be all red dahlias, which I think will look amazing against my ivory dress. A little unconventional for an August wedding, but I wanted something different.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It will be stunning, stef, and with her 20 years experience you can rest well knowing she'll do the best job.  Red against ivory is classic and gorgeous in any season.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

[QUOTE]While we are on the topic of color, do navy BM dresses and black tuxes clash? Sorry to change the subject Stef, but I don't want to start a whole new thread. I always loved navy blue as the main color, but don't black and navy clash? How would that work in a wedding?
    Posted by Peonie[/QUOTE]
    I wore Navy for my sister's wedding and the guys wore black tuxes everything looked fine.  We carred mixed bouquets with oranges, dark yellows etc, fall colors since she was married in October.  I don;t have any pictures of us online but found these with a  google image search...

Someone randomly walking down the aisle well really into a reception

Some random bride with her ladies and a guy in a black suit

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

lol we did navy and black and frankly I think it looked fine.  Clearly I'm biased here.  I can share pictures with you peonie if you give me an email address.  We paired them with silver accents (shoes and vests).  There was enough contrast in the photos.  It doesn't look clashy.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

[QUOTE]lol we did navy and black and frankly I think it looked fine.  Clearly I'm biased here.  I can share pictures with you peonie if you give me an email address.  We paired them with silver accents (shoes and vests).  There was enough contrast in the photos.  It doesn't look clashy.
    Posted by jasmine09[/QUOTE]

Jasmine, I would love to see pictures! I think it would look great with silver accents.

My email address is Peonie at yahoo.com

Thanks! :)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Black and navy do not clash.  They are both neutrals and go fine together. I wear them together quite a bit [including last night] and it looks fine.  Obviously, it depends on the shade of navy - some are more blue and some are more gray.  Either way, they do not clash.  You jazz it up however you want w/ flowers.  It looks fine in photos.  My sister did it and her photos look great.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

you've got mail :)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

glad to know i'm not the only one who thought it was fine, alf!  I think it's funny that ppl have such a strong reaction to it, because don't people pair blue jeans with black all the time?  I don't know... Our flowers were white, green, and all different shades of blue, with a touch of pink thrown in for the bridesmaids.  It added texture and broke up the look, so it wasn't too dark (for a May wedding).

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Jasmine, just looked at them. First of all, your wedding was beautiful. Second of all, you were beautiful! And the navy looked really nice against the black tuxes!

I also wanted to comment that I loved how you saw your DH before the ceremony. It made for awesome pictures, and a very initmate time. That is something I want to do when I get married.

Thank you for sharing :)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from June09. Show June09's posts

Use accent colors to bring the navy and black together. My girls wore navy and carried blue hydrangeas and white peonies, the guys wore black tuxes with a black vest and a cornflower tie. The blue hydrangeas matched the cornflower color and tied everything together.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

aw thanks peonie!  yeah, i'm glad we did the pre-ceremony look and some of those photos are definitely going into the album.  :)  it also really helped to get those bridal party formals out of the way before the ceremony.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

Hi Stef - the purple inmy bouquet are lisianthus - one of my favorite flowers.  I wouldn't have thought of it either, but luckily i had a creative florist! :)

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Color Question : Heather that bouquet is stunning. What flowers are those purple ones? I never thought of doing all types with some deep red mixed in. Just gorgeous.
    Posted by stefmay[/QUOTE]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

I think it depends upon the shade of purple/red, because the red sashes certainly stand out against the purple dresses.  But I agree that it probably would have been very pretty to have a lighter flower in there also, even to make the deeper colors within the bouquets pop.

[QUOTE]To me, the picture Peonie found of the bridal party in purple and deep red flowers just points out how you can't see the bouquets...  I would think that if you're going to spend $100 per bouquet that you'd want them to stand out and be stunning, not melt away into the dresses.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Those are Converse Chuck Taylors, not Keds ;)

[QUOTE]Is anyone else wondering why all the men in that picture are wearing Keds? I'm actually with Kar on the red and purple.  I would probably do bouquets mostly with white and lilac (maybe a little deep purple), then incorporate deep purple into my bouquet. ETA: Then again, I end up going to my roommate a couple of mornings a week to ask if I match.  I pair almost everything with white, black, or denim to avoid just this problem.
    Posted by lucy7368[/QUOTE]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

As to navy and black, I do think they clash and it drives me nuts, but it's not like some high holy rule or anything. Just like black and brown, I'll never like the way it looks. But if that's what someone wants for their wedding, I couldn't care less! I just could never choose it for myself is all. I don't mind bright blues and black, which is good because that's what I had for my wedding.
    I love black and I just avoid buying anything navy or brown for this very reason. But, all of DH's suits are navy or grey.

I feel it's only a major fashion faux pas if you're wearing a navy suit/dress with black shoes/purse or a brown dress/suit with black shoes/purse.

Sections
Shortcuts