Coordinator Discomfert

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FutureMrs1012. Show FutureMrs1012's posts

Coordinator Discomfert

Hey All, I've been a long time reader of these, but this is the first time that I have started one myself. I am having a bit of a dilemma. I'm planning my wedding for October 2012. We found the venue, submitted the deposit, and then crickets. I received my receipt in the mail. I called the coordinator at the venue to set up a second viewing so I could bring my mom and MIL and she seemed very uninvolved and surprised at the questions I was asking her. I've never planned a wedding before so I will be the first to admit that I have no clue what I am doing. But, I just get this feeling from her that I won't be talking to her much until right before the wedding. Is this normal? Shouldn't she be reaching out to me for details, etc? Or am I on my own? Thoughts? Suggestions?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Coordinator Discomfert

Congrats on your engagement!

Perfectly normal albeit disconcerting simply because this is the most important event of your life thus far, not because it's exactly rational to be worried this far out from you date.  You have to remember that they do 100s of weddings a year - it's old hat to them.  And, while it's the most important party of your life, the reception is just a party...not that complicated.  However, if you have specific questions, call and ask.  Most will get back to you within a week if you have to leave a message.  October 2012 is WAY too far off for her to proactively be calling you about anything.

See you around, I hope!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from FutureMrs1012. Show FutureMrs1012's posts

In Response to Re: Coordinator Discomfert:
    Congrats on your engagement! Perfectly normal albeit disconcerting simply because this is the most important event of your life thus far, not because it's exactly rational to be worried this far out from you date.  You have to remember that they do 100s of weddings a year - it's old hat to them.  And, while it's the most important party of your life, the reception is just a party...not that complicated.  However, if you have specific questions, call and ask.  Most will get back to you within a week if you have to leave a message.  October 2012 is WAY too far off for her to proactively be calling you about anything. See you around, I hope!
    Posted by kargiver

Thank you! I just needed someone to tell me that it was all normal and that it would all be fine.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

No problem - it is and it will.  You could start planning 8 or 9 months from now and still be OK, actually.  Not that I'm suggesting you put off planning, of course, just putting your mind at ease about the urgency...or lack thereof 15 months before the wedding.  Relax and enjoy your engagement!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kinga9. Show kinga9's posts

I agree with Kar. I'm getting married this October, and I booked my venue last January. I can count on one hand how many times I've had contact with my venue coordinator, and it's when I initiate the contact about specific questions. I don't expect to talk to him much until the few weeks leading up to the wedding. It's actually this way with all of my vendors.

Just get your side of the planning squared away in due time...i.e. you pick your songs and order of events for the day about two months beforehand, but you won't need to relay that info to the Dj/Band/Coordinator until about a week before the wedding. For right now, all you need are the receipts from your deposits and contracts to file away to make sure you secure your date with each vendor...and then enjoy the next few months before the craziness kicks in!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from simon08. Show simon08's posts

totally agree with above answers - I got married October 2010 and had booked well in advance as well and if I didn't initiate questions I did not hear from the venue - however once the time was nearing, about a month prior, I did get e-mails, calls, etc. and then had a couple of meetings, taste testing, etc. 
    so absolutely get your stuff together and once the time comes you can just hand everything over to your vendors and they will be thrilled that you are that organized! 
    good luck and congrats! 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from FutureMrs1012. Show FutureMrs1012's posts

Thanks everyone! I feel 110% better about everything. I just can't stand not knowing what I'm doing. Although I'm sure every other bride in the history of wedding has felt that way and they all survived!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It's true - most of us felt the same way.  You've just begun, and there will be lots of drama since wedding bring out the absolute worst in everyone close to you and not much in life goes exactly as planned.  BUT, if you always think about it this way you'll be fine.  At the end of your wedding day you'll be married no matter what.  And, a reception is just a fancy word for a party.  If you're together with your family and friends celebrating your wedding, it's a success.  :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kel96. Show kel96's posts

I just wanted to add that if you feel like the coordinator isn't meeting your needs, you shouldn't be afraid to speak up.  I am a wedding planner and had a bride that didn't care of her coordinator at her reception venue and hired me to be her "middleman" so she didn't have to directly deal with her.  Yes, most likely, as your wedding gets closer, she'll be in touch with you more, but you are a paying customer and you deserve to have your questions and concerns addressed.  Good luck!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from FutureMrs1012. Show FutureMrs1012's posts

In Response to Re: Coordinator Discomfert:
    I just wanted to add that if you feel like the coordinator isn't meeting your needs, you shouldn't be afraid to speak up.  I am a wedding planner and had a bride that didn't care of her coordinator at her reception venue and hired me to be her "middleman" so she didn't have to directly deal with her.  Yes, most likely, as your wedding gets closer, she'll be in touch with you more, but you are a paying customer and you deserve to have your questions and concerns addressed.  Good luck!
    Posted by kel96

Thanks! I didn't want to say something if it was too early for her to be involved. I definitely will say something if it gets closer and I am still feeling this way. It is 14 months away, but when it is say 2 months away and she is still doing this... then there will be a conversation!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Indeed, she's not actually "doing this" at this point at all - she's done all she should have done by now having booked your date.  :)

Sections
Shortcuts