DIY Wedding Programs?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

DIY Wedding Programs?

Good morning ladies!

Did any of you do your own/plan to do your own wedding programs?  I think I'd like to have them, but I'd rather do them on my own and save some money.  My creative abilities are mediocre at best, but I'm hoping I can pull it off!

For the DIY ladies, where did you find the template that you decided to use?  Also, did you print them yourselves or bring them somewhere to have them printed?

Any other tips and ideas are welcome, because these things are not my strong point!  Smile

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

Re: DIY Wedding Programs?

kmt - I just used a template from Microsoft Publisher  http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/CT101042981033.aspx

I don't know if you have to specifically buy Publisher... I just did it at work (shhh...).  My mom couldn't open it on her work computer, however, so you must have to have the software.

Good luck!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

I printed them myself and kept them pretty simple.  I used Word and printed landscape and made it two columns and went from there.  Once it was printed we cut it down the middle and then put them together by punching a hole in the corner and tied it with ribbon.  They were easy to put together and my MIL and put them together very quickly.

It was like a booklet so the front and back pages I printed on card stock and the center stuff was done on regular paper.

I did get my front picture from free Microsoft clip art and that was the extent of it.  I kept the printing to black and white.  I can send you mine if you would like...just post your email but remember to spell out things so it can be fished.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

We were going to, but ultimately decided it was a detail we could live without - we figured people wouldn't ever be so lost that the wedding would be ruined for them. Not that there's anything wrong with them!  I just ditched them at the last minute.  We printed the words to our hymn, Amazing Grace, on our computer and called it a day.

However, before that, I checked out Staples and found many styles of varying complexity (ribbons, etc) in lovely wedding program kits. Looked simple enough.  I also found a great wording template here (of course, it's from a printing company advertising this particular program you can order from them, but it's a good example, anyway):  Sample Program

If I had done it, I'd have gone with a simple, one-sided option so it would be as fool proof and professional looking as possible.  Too many folds, ribbons, etc., may look great if a professional does it, but if I were to try to make it perfect, it just probably wouldn't be.

Good luck!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jag27. Show jag27's posts

We did our own wedding programs.  You can find templates online, but someone on this board (last year) shared their's with me.  I had the wedding party listed on the inside cover, outline of the reading and music (we had a full mass), the readings, and prayers. 

You can have them printed at Staples or Kinkos, but we just printed ours at home (as we just bought a laser printer) and tied them together with ribbon.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

Wendy that would be great if you could email me your program!  Sounds beautiful.  Where did you buy the card stock?  I've checked out the stationary at Staples and OfficeMax but I wasn't impressed.  My email is kmt8809 at yahoo.com.  Thanks a bunch!

And LOL Heather...I've done about 3/4 of my wedding planning at work.  Laughing

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

[QUOTE]Wendy that would be great if you could email me your program!  Sounds beautiful.  Where did you buy the card stock?  I've checked out the stationary at Staples and OfficeMax but I wasn't impressed.  My email is kmt8809 at yahoo.com.  Thanks a bunch! And LOL Heather...I've done about 3/4 of my wedding planning at work. 
    Posted by kmt09[/QUOTE]
    Not a problem, I will leave all my info in it so that way you can see spacing etc and then you can cut and past in the correct names etc.  In my email I will include some additional detail about how we printed it out.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

My mom got a kit from a party store or something...probably cost her $30 for 150 programs.

And, about the work thing...its pretty much all I do. I did my seating charts last week. When a company is up for sale and you're probably going to lose your job in a month...you take advantage. ;-)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

[QUOTE]My mom got a kit from a party store or something...probably cost her $30 for 150 programs. And, about the work thing...its pretty much all I do. I did my seating charts last week. When a company is up for sale and you're probably going to lose your job in a month...you take advantage. ;-)
    Posted by amschnittger[/QUOTE]

I have an iParty a minute away from work; maybe I'll check them out today.

I work under deadlines, so sometimes I'm insanely busy, and sometimes it's really slow.  Luckily, this is my slow time of year!  It helps that I may have the coolest boss ever, too.  :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

Kar, I also see the programs as non-essential, and I'd much rather skip them altogether.  However, my mother mentioned that they would be nice to have, and kind of hinted that she wanted me to do them.  I think she just wants to have them as keepsakes after the wedding.  She's been amazing and has done SO MUCH for me with this wedding, and hasn't asked for a thing.  I figure it's the least I can do for her.  :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

I am going to do my programs myself, but I have no idea how I will do them. And I will prob do them at work HAHA. I work in HR and have my own cube and no one relaly bothers me...hellooo I'm on boston.com forums like all day...work much?? lol, jk!

Anyway, I am sure there are ways you can figure it out, and if you do, let me know! :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

[QUOTE]And LOL Heather...I've done about 3/4 of my wedding planning at work. 
    Posted by kmt09[/QUOTE]

I'm glad I'm not the only deviant!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

Just make sure you put out a box after the ceremony so people can put their programs in there if they don't want them. That way you can recycle them easily, as opposed to them just getting thrown away.

[QUOTE]Kar, I also see the programs as non-essential, and I'd much rather skip them altogether.  However, my mother mentioned that they would be nice to have, and kind of hinted that she wanted me to do them.  I think she just wants to have them as keepsakes after the wedding.  She's been amazing and has done SO MUCH for me with this wedding, and hasn't asked for a thing.  I figure it's the least I can do for her.  :)
    Posted by kmt09[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

AM - sorry to hear about your company!  But at least you're making the best right now :) 

KMT - we decided kind of last minute to do our own programs.  We did it in word and used a clip art design that was on our invitations and a welcome note on the front (basically "Welcome to our wedding" & the date in bold font).  Inside cover was a run down of the ceremony.  Inside page was the bridal party/parents and honored relatives.  The back cover had the words to a song we asked everyone to join in for, along with a story about it.
    We used 110lb card stock & colored printing from Office Depot & it was about $1 per side, so $2 each.  They were ready in 10 minutes.  We just had to fold them in half.  No ribbons or anything.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]Kar, I also see the programs as non-essential, and I'd much rather skip them altogether.  However, my mother mentioned that they would be nice to have, and kind of hinted that she wanted me to do them.  I think she just wants to have them as keepsakes after the wedding.  She's been amazing and has done SO MUCH for me with this wedding, and hasn't asked for a thing.  I figure it's the least I can do for her.  :)
    Posted by kmt09[/QUOTE]

If my mom or anyone else really close to me had really wanted them I'd have done them, too.  You know I wasn't hinting that no one should bother, right?  I just didn't want to offer advice without disclosing that we didn't actually DO it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

Pink - a recyling box is such a good idea!  I wish I had thought of that...

KMT - I didn't really think that programs were a must have.  But then I got to thinking that our friends should be mentioned somewhere, as should our parents, so we did it for that reason.  But once I was done with them, I was really glad we did it.  And it gave people an idea of what to expect during our ceremony, which was slightly unusual.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ams, are you sure they'll do layoffs?  I hope you keep your job after the buyout at least until you can find something else. Keep us posted.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from GK2bwed. Show GK2bwed's posts

I am also going back and forth about programs. We are having a JP perform a non-religious ceremony, so I am not sure people need the program, for it is going to be rather short. I personally like programs when I go to weddings to follow along and keep as a memento. It is also good to give a shoutout to the wedding party and parents, etc. I don't want to do it if it is going to cost a lot, so I would also be planning to do them myself.

KMT/Wendy - Would you also be willing to share? If so, I can email you and get the info. Thanks!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

[QUOTE]If my mom or anyone else really close to me had really wanted them I'd have done them, too.  You know I wasn't hinting that no one should bother, right?  I just didn't want to offer advice without disclosing that we didn't actually DO it.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

Oh no Kar, I knew exactly what you were saying!  I think the programs are beautiful and they are a very nice touch, but you can absolutely eliminate them without many people even noticing that they're missing.  I wouldn't have opted to do them if mom didn't ask, but I'm sure when that day comes I'll be happy that she did.  Smile 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

[QUOTE]Ams, are you sure they'll do layoffs?  I hope you keep your job after the buyout at least until you can find something else. Keep us posted.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

No, there is a slight chance we'll be safe. But...the chances aren't great. We'll see. I've decided not to worry...if we both get laid off  (FI and I work at the same place...brilliant!) we're going to move to DC where I have some family and we have a free house. haha. :-) Bring on the layoffs!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

ams, you crack me up.  Good luck to both of you!

kmt, glad you got what I meant; I'd hate to come across as pooh-poohing your request for ideas.

GK, the invitation makes a great momento if you don't want to do programs except for the momento factor.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

[QUOTE]kmt, glad you got what I meant; I'd hate to come across as pooh-poohing your request for ideas. Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

Never!  You give some of the best advice on these boards (and in general!), so I would never think that!  :)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from katie1980. Show katie1980's posts

Hi,
    We printed our own; got the stock from Staples (Gartner stock) the templates are free on there - and took to kinkos/fed ex to print.

They turned out great.  :) and not too $ I really wanted to design and print and make cool ones, but time ran out.

These really did look good

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyclechic06. Show Cyclechic06's posts

I think the recycling is a great idea.  But how are you all distributing them?  Are you leaving them on a table for people to pick up or are you having someone hand them out?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]Never!  You give some of the best advice on these boards (and in general!), so I would never think that!  :)
    Posted by kmt09[/QUOTE]

Embarassed - that's as close as I could find to a blush!  Thanks, Hon.

Sections
Shortcuts