First Dance Songs?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

First Dance Songs?

Hi Guys!  I'm trying to brainstorm for good first dance songs!  Any suggestions?  What did you guys use?

I was thinking of Realize by Colbie Callait (I love that song!) but it is about a girl trying to make her BF realize that they should be together.  Is that not a good fit for a wedding?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scorpio75. Show Scorpio75's posts

Re: First Dance Songs?

I tend to shy away from songs like that for a first dance but in the end most people won't pay that much attention to the lyrics so if it makes the two of you happy go for it.

You could go with Lucky- Colbie Calliet and Jason Mraz if you are into Colbie, we wished we knew of the song before we were married.  But we are very happy with our song "True Companion" by Marc Cohen.  I had wanted the song for my wedding song long before I ever met my DH and it seems my DH wanted the song as well, so it was perfect for us.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

Hey Trex!

DH and I used "So Far Away" by Staind.  Not a very traditional first dance song, but it was so perfect for us.  Even our older guests really liked it; I was surprised!

I just read the lyrics to "Realize," and it does kind of sound like a girl trying to make a guy fall for her.  However, if you really like the song and want to use it, I doubt people will really be listening to the lyrics anyway.

Some other ones I liked when DH and I were thinking of first dance songs:
    -"Shameless" by Billy Joel
    -"I Could Not Ask for More" by Edwin McCain
    -"All I Want is You" by U2
    -"Here and Now" by Luther Vandross (it was my parents' wedding song so I wouldn't have used it, but it is awesome)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

We has Van Morrison's Have I Told You Lately.

Others I've seen include (and this is purely from memory, so not exhaustive):
    I Want to Grow Old With You (from the wedding singer)
    Let's Get It On (Jack Black version, actually really good!)
    At Last
    Come What May (Ewen McGregor/Nicole Kidman from Moulin Rouge)
    The Way You Make Me Feel (Ronan Keating)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

I like Sinatra - The Way You Look Tonight.  I'm also a big fan of Strangers in the Night.

For me, personally, I would probably go with Prettiest Star, but David Bowie.  That's my song.  I would be tempted to use the song at the end of The Princess Bride, but I would probably be mocked incessantly.  Embarassed

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

We did Alecia Key If I Ain't Got You and my sister sang it.  DH picked the song, and my sister who sings, loves to sing that song. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mezzogal1124. Show mezzogal1124's posts

"It Had to be You" is great if you like a more old-fashioned, swing music feel.

I love "God Only Knows" by the Beach Boys because I think it's one of the most beautiful love songs ever, but I think it would be hard to dance to because of the tempo change in the middle.

One of my cousins (who is a HUGE Paul McCartney fan) had "Maybe I'm Amazed."  Gorgeous, but difficult to dance to, but no one really minded! 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

We had the somewhat untraditional "Thank You" by Led Zepplin.  Very romantic song, all about love, marriage and a hopeful future.  We also considered "Book of Love" (originally by Magnetic Fields, also covered by Peter Gabriel and featured at the end of the season finale of "Scrubs").

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

"Good Feeling" by the Violent Femmes
    Yeah, it's kind of a sad song, but we both love it, love the band and really wanted something that felt like our own.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborinio. Show boborinio's posts

"Dance me to the end of love"  Madeleine Peyroux cover of a Leonard Cohen tune

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

Decades ago when I got married, my Bride asked me for a suggestion and quickly reconsidered when I mentioned, "Tonight's The Night" by Rod Stewart. She didn't care for the lyrics.  Then we came up with, and stuck to, "You Needed Me" by Anne Murray. Other "oldies" to consider are "You Light Up My Life", "Can I have This Dance", and "I Hope You Dance".  Don't dismiss the oldies easily: they're easy to dance to (esp. in a wedding gown) for you AND the older family members, the words are familiar, romantic, and sentimental.  Weddings are usually "traditional", including lots of stuff you otherwise wouldn't dream of, so make it easy on yourself and pick an old standard for the first dance.  Tear up the floors later.  Good Luck!  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

What about Save the Last Dance for Me?

Ok, I guess that's a better last dance song, but it's still a great song.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from June09. Show June09's posts

We danced to "Stay with You" by John Legend

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kbkp. Show kbkp's posts

We danced to At Last...I wanted a classic song because of our setting...others we thought about were I could not ask for more (Edwin McCain) and some Sinatra songs. A song my brother sang was Everything by Michale Buble...it's a great wedding song, not sure about first dance song.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

I'm doing "Can't Help Falling In Love' by Elvis. Yes, it's wicked popular, but his voice does something to me.

.....Take my hand, take my whole life too.....

that line is just amazing to me as well....

We were at a wedding in May and the B&G used this song and I got all upset, thinking we couldn't "copy" them, and I even started a thread about it. Everyone said I could. And at the end of the day, I can't imagine not using this song.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

For my wedding to DH and I danced to "Eternal Flame" by the Bangles.  One of my (and his) all time faves!  Though I jokingly had suggested "fat-bottomed girls" by Queen.  That would have been a laugh!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

We danced to a Natalie Cole-style rendition of L-O-V-E.  Last dance song was the Alicia Keys song mentioned above (it's a waltz; i love it).  Our video will feature Jack Johnson's "Better Together" which was another first dance- runner up.  And also OK Go "This will be our year", but that song is more upbead--not a typical first-dance type of song.

You might also consider Jason Mraz "I'm Yours".

My husband and I drove ourselves CRAZY trying to find a song with the perfect lyrics.  I hope your song choices involve less struggle. :)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

We danced to Because You Loved Me by Celine Dion.  Kind of cheesy but I just love some of the lyrics... For all the times you stood by me...For all the joy you brought to my life, for all the wrong that you made right...

Close runner up was Let's Stay Together by Al Green (I think?).

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from klm44. Show klm44's posts

We are using Man and Wife by Michelle Featherstone...  we wanted something different and not a song many had heard.  When we both listened to it and thought about the lyrics, we were both in tears :)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

We danced to "Ain't that a kick in the head" by Dean Martin.  We were sitting around watching Ocean's 11 (original) and we joked about using it as our first dance.  When it came time to choose, we kept going back to that one.  The music & lyrics are fun and kind of fitting for us.
    Another one I really wanted was "Anything, Anytime, Anywhere" by Jimmy Buffett.  It makes me cry... we used it as our last dance & we both teared up

Sections
Shortcuts