First Dance/ Wedding Song recommendations / Cake Cutting Music

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LauraW7. Show LauraW7's posts

First Dance/ Wedding Song recommendations / Cake Cutting Music

I'm looking for some recommendations for wedding songs, particularly for the first dance. My maid of honor got married in June and used the most beautiful song for her first dance, Simply by Cate Kanell. (www.catekanell.com) It was stunning.. I really wish I could use it as well, but I don't want her to feel like I copied her!
    Any ideas for me that are like Simply? Something simple, not overdone or overplayed, classy, and sweet?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Re: First Dance/ Wedding Song recommendations?

I've never heard of Cate Kannel. What type of music is it? R&B? Country? Pop?

For a simple song I've always liked "Our House" by Crosby, Stills & Nash

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Do you want something timeless, like Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, Anne Murray, and omigod I can't remember any other names but there are others right now.

Or do you want something more modern, more "now" (although I would imagine not a Black Eyed Peas song as a first dance?) :)

I could possibly (when my brain returns to my head) help with the former, but I'm way too old to give suggestions for the latter.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

I listened to a preview of Simply on Amazon, and I would say give a listen to Ingrid Michaelson's cover of 'Can't Help Falling In Love'.  But she has some other stuff that might work but I really really love Can't Help Falling in Love.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Wendy, good idea! We are doing "Can't Help Falling in Love". We were going to just do the Elvis version, which I love, but then my MOH, who is an amazing singer, offered to sing it for us, which will be very special to us.

Laura, maybe you could take Wendy's suggestion??

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LauraW7. Show LauraW7's posts

You can hear "Simply" at http://www.catekanell.com

She is a singer/songwriter - very intimate folk-rock and pop-rock.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I second Ingrid Michaelsen!  We used her The Way I Am as our cake cutting song and I absolutely love it.  I also like Aimee Mann's version of Two of Us from the I Am Sam soundtrack.  (Or was it Liz Phair?)  Not sure if either would work well for your first dance, but I figured brianstorming couldn't hurt :o)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LauraW7. Show LauraW7's posts

Ingrid Michaelson was a great suggestion- I love her music! Also I heard Michelle Featherstone's "We are Man and Wife" has a similar feel to Cate Kanell's "Simply", so I'm considering that..

What about ideas for the bouquet toss? I'm tired of hearing "Single Ladies"!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

Do you have your heart set on doing the bouquet toss?  Most of the weddings I have been to have not had one but it is a personal preference thing, but about those suggestions some are kind of funny in my opinion.

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun - Cindy Lauper
    Man I Feel Like a Woman - Shanna Twain
    Shoop Shoop Song - Cher
    This One is For the Girls - Martina McBride
    She's  Lady - Tom Jones
    Girls Girls Girls- Motely Crew
    What  A Girl Wants - Christina Aguilera
    Wild Women Do- Natalie Cole

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdd01. Show jdd01's posts

Thank you for the Ingrid Michaelson and the Michelle Featherstone suggestions!  I'm definitely going to try to incorporate both of their songs in my wedding!

Thanks!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Epigal. Show Epigal's posts

I would also look up Adele - great voice, several wedding-candidate songs! And although this might sound strange, the song "Dreams" by the Cranberries has really nice lyrics.

Sections
Shortcuts