Flower Advice

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

Flower Advice

I'm having a tough time figuring out flowers. I had my heart set on carrying a mixed bouquet of whites and creams that includes hydrangeas. The last florist I spoke with said not to carry white flowers because they photograph yellow. I asked my photographer about this and he said he'd have to check his past shoots, but I think the white flowers on his website look white.

I'm really stuck about what to do. I can't that picking flowers is this difficult!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Re: Flower Advice

Friar - a LOT of brides carry white/cream flowers and they don't look yellow!  I would say your photographer should know best if this is a danger, even better than the florist.  That said, having a contrasting color - even if it's just green leaves - might alleviate any danger of this happening.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from miss-cellaneousJones. Show miss-cellaneousJones's posts

That sounds pretty silly to me! Any good photographer will know how to properly photograph white flowers so that they remain white in pictures! I don't think you have anything to worry about, except, maybe to find a new florist?! I had a full bouquet of white gardenias for my wedding and although gardenias are not bright white naturally and they bruise VERY easily, they photographed just as they looked in person!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

even if they do come out a little yellow, the photog can color-correct them afterwards.
    I know there are a few wedding pics where my teeth are a whole heckofalot whiter than they are in real life.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

My bouquet was cream, and it's my avatar.  Our "photographer" (quoted because he was a friend we were helping start a business that didn't get started after we hated our pictures) was TERRIBLE, though, and couldn't color correct (or frame a photograph) his way out of a paper bag.  However, most can; it's not like every white flower ever photographed comes out looking yellow, right?

Here's another picture of my bouquet where they actually look like the color they were, but notice it was taken outside in natural light.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Huh, that is weird of the florist to totally discourage something you had your heart set on.  I might think about keeping the cream flowers and finding a new florist.  Lots of brides do white/cream bouquets (my florist actually specifically asked me if I wanted that!).  If you have a good photographer, they will photograph them well, I'm sure. 

Maybe ask yourself this:  what is more important to you, that you carry white flowers on the day or that they look white in the pics?  If you don't care so much about the pics, go for white flowers.  If you would be horrified if they were yellow toned in the photos, then maybe you should consider an alternative.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

Thanks for your thoughts. I think I would be more disappointed if I was carrying something that ultimately wasn't what I wanted than if I got what I wanted and the color was off in the pictures. I wanted a mixed bouquet so the shades of white would be all different so it wouldn't look like I'm trying to match. My dress is a dark, almost antique ivory (think a shade or two darker than Kar's).

I'm meeting with my 4th florist on Saturday. I'd just like to find one reasonably priced florist who understands what I want and isn't a complete flake. Too much to ask?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

What area is your wedding in?  4 florists sounds like a lot!  If you haven't found someone you love yet, I'll recommend ours.  She did my 2 best friends weddings and she was really sweet, totally listened to what we want (she raelly wants YOU to be happy) and she is very reasonably priced.  Her name is Jody and she works out of Reading.  She works out of her home, which one reason her prices are really good.

http://www.thebestweddingflowers.com/

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

In Response to Re: Flower Advice:
    [QUOTE]My bouquet was cream, and it's my avatar.  Our "photographer" (quoted because he was a friend we were helping start a business that didn't get started after we hated our pictures) was TERRIBLE, though, and couldn't color correct (or frame a photograph) his way out of a paper bag.  However, most can; it's not like every white flower ever photographed comes out looking yellow, right? Here's another picture of my bouquet where they actually look like the color they were, but notice it was taken outside in natural light.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

Kar again I must tell you I love love love your bouquet.  That's exactly what I'm looking for, who was your florist?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Summer2010. Show Summer2010's posts

As others have said, a lot of Brides have all white bouquets and they look great in pictures!  I personally am also having a mixed bouquet of white and creamy white flowers.  I went back on forth on white versus colored for my bouquet and ultimately decided to go with all white because it such a classic timeless look.  I love it.   

Here is the description of my bouquet from my florist:
    Clutch style bouquet in hues of creamy white peonies with pink sepals, sweet peas, white cymbidium orchids with blush throats, and posy calla lilies to create a romantic design

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Kar, your bouquet wasn't yellow??? You just blew my mind. I like it in both pictures, though. 

Friar, my florist was inexpensive and awesome. She's in Dover, NH, and if you want to meet her in person you'd have to drive there, but you could also do everything over the phone. Her web site is lyndseyloringdesign.com (Lyndsey Loring). I just told her one type of flowers that I liked a color, and she extrapolated that into something beautiful. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Flower Advice : Kar again I must tell you I love love love your bouquet.  That's exactly what I'm looking for, who was your florist?
    Posted by Winter2011Bride[/QUOTE]

Thanks!!!  It was Karen Hodder at Twillingate Gardens in Sudbury (or nearby).  I never visited the shop or met her.  I took the Wayside Inn's recommendation to hire her and sent her the scraps from my train having been shortened to match my flowers and wrap my bouquet in.  I didn't give her any direction except how many of each item I needed and that I wanted an "elegant" look.  My entire flowers situation was taken care of in 5 minutes from my perspective. :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Here's a picture of the gown, Friar, that shows its color better...the flowers, too.  When you said your dress was dark ivory 2 shades darker than mine I realized the photo must be washed out.  My dress was a very dark ivory...sigh.  Let's try again.

Oh, that's much better!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Very nice picture of your bouquet.  And you dress is beautiful too.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]Very nice picture of your bouquet.  And you dress is beautiful too.
    Posted by Winter2011Bride[/QUOTE]

Thanks, again, Winter - the color is much truer in these photos.  The flower photo color is perfect.  I don't think I have any pictures that show the true color of my dress, but this is the closest any of them got.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Friar...what!? That is just silly! The only thing I have heard about white flowers is that can sometimes brown around the edges on a SUPER hot day, and since I am getting married in the month of August, I am going to carry a bouquet like the one in my avatar. I want some white in my bouquet, but some colors, too.

I also have heard that hydrangeas can wilt on hot days, but I don't think you have to worry about your flowers looking yellow!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I don't think she's worried about how the flowers will look in person but how they will photograph.  See how yellow my "white" flowers look in my avatar? 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

I had a mixed bouquet: 50% white flowers, 50% green & blue.  I wore a diamond white dress (i.e. a soft white--doesn't register as ivory unless you were to hold it against a VERY bleachy white).  The white flowers photographed white in ALL of my pictures.  I don't know if the color contrast improved this, but I really didn't have any trouble with the white registering yellow.

White bouquets are very traditional.  (My MIL was a bit surprised that I didn't want one.)  I'm sure your photographer can handle it.

In indoor light:

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Friar, as we are using the same photographer, I can pretty much gurantee you that all the white bouquets I have seen in his photos, look white.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

How pretty, jas!  LOVE the wrap and "jewelry" on it, too.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

p.s. and you can see the flowers were still going (pretty) strong after 4 hours out of water in the top picture.  A good florist should be able to avoid excessive browning and wilting.  We didn't have a super hot day though.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

[QUOTE]How pretty, jas!  LOVE the wrap and "jewelry" on it, too.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

thanks kar!  I'm sure that I have already told you how elegant your gown and bouquet look in the photos.

the jewelry was actually a bracelet that belonged to my great-great-grandmother.  my something old.  :)  it is a simple bracelet, but special to me. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

Thanks for sharing your photos with me! I love looking at them. Kar, I think you're right, our dresses look about the same color. Your avatar looks yellowy but the other pictures you've posted don't look at way at all.

My photographer is going to get back to me tomorrow with pictures of white flowers. He said that he doesn't touch the color of the flowers specifically unless it's something they're doing on purpose - like coloring the flowers in a b&w picture. But I'm wondering if color correcting the whole picture just fixes it. After all,there are 1,000,000 brides with white bouquets!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

That seems silly to me too.  I had a white/ivory bouquet and it didn't look yellow in any pictures, professional or pictures by our guests.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Thanks for sharing your photos with me! I love looking at them. Kar, I think you're right, our dresses look about the same color. Your avatar looks yellowy but the other pictures you've posted don't look at way at all. My photographer is going to get back to me tomorrow with pictures of white flowers. He said that he doesn't touch the color of the flowers specifically unless it's something they're doing on purpose - like coloring the flowers in a b&w picture. But I'm wondering if color correcting the whole picture just fixes it. After all,there are 1,000,000 brides with white bouquets!
    Posted by FriarGirl03

Don't you love how he really goes above and beyond for his clients.....