General gripe

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from venforknot. Show venforknot's posts

General gripe

Just a general gripe - Does anyone else feel like the only model wedding pics you're seeing out there are from like, hipster, country weddings? Nothing against hipsters or country weddings, I actually quite enjoy both, but everything on the about 50 million wedding websites I've looked at are all paper mache flowers set next to a barn somewhere or in a trendy coffee shop or next to lobster pots. Is this just the trend now? What about all those traditional brides out there who are having church weddings and 400 people at their receptions. Where are those girls these days? Not everybody can be inviting 20 people for "an intimate dinner in their parent's country home." Bring on the average brides!! or are they all too busy on WeTV getting remade by David Tutera?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: General gripe

Hilarious!  I don't have anything against country themes (and I don't know what a "hipster" is...I'm not that hip, I guess!), either, but for weddings it's...different. :)

All I can tell you is that weddings, at least in the magazines, go through trends.  The one I recall most was in the 80s - the black wedding dress.  I don't know ANYONE (not even a friend of a friend of a friend...) who ever wore one, but that's what you'd see in the magazines there for awhile.

So, go with what you like, and know that whatever trend is usually a pseudo trend bought and paid for by those who sell the magazines and themed wedding trappings.  I'm sure you can always find tradition things for sale because they'll always sell no matter what you're seeing in the nutty photos.  You won't be alone!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

The vast majority of wedding sites just follow trends, and if country weddings are trendy, then that's what you'll see.

I'd recommend sites like Flickr and Webshots where you can see pictures from real people's weddings and there's enough variety that you'll definitely find what you're looking for.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

I think this is a trend recently but i also think that the magazines and such are looking for "different" inspirations to show in their magazine in order to set them apart.  A traditional wedding is just that, pretty traditional and I guess they think they can sell more magazines by trying to be different.

I don't know, that's my guess anyway!  but i agree, I didn't want that type of wedding or a lot of DIY (i'm not that good at it) but that seemed to be what all the magazines were focusing on.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from venforknot. Show venforknot's posts

Ya, this was more said with a laugh. Lol. By trying to show different things all these magazines are showing the exact same thing. lol. If someone wanted to be really different now they would throw in pictures of 5 girls in David's Bridal trying on the same dress and receptions at Spinelli's (the go to wedding venue of the "average" bride on the North Shore) lol. I'm just sick of seeing wingtip shoes and grainy photos in these mags/websites. lol. Enough already. I'm having a very traditional italian wedding and I can't tie my shoelaces most days, nevermind make origami puppets with teal cardstock paper from Papyrus to entertain my guests during cocktail hour. lol. My centerpieces will be made of flowers, not three tier glass vases with lemons and pieces of the Fragglerock crystal structure, I have a DJ or a wedding band, not my hipster friend's emo-jazz acoustic band (I just created a new music style!) , and neither me or my fiance were inspired by India for our wedding (though seeing those red saris, I'm wishing one of us was Indian so I could wear one without our 90 year old Italian aunts being completely confused.) lol. I guess we, and probably about 50% of the other brides buying these mags are outta luck. lol.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

well, for a long time, even just 5 years ago when I was starting to plan my wedding, it was very hard to find pictures of or advice about anything but traditional weddings. Now, it seems the balance has shifted in the other direction.

I think the small wedding trend and the DIY trend were born out of necessity because of the recession.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zenbat. Show zenbat's posts

In Response to General gripe:
    [QUOTE]Just a general gripe - Does anyone else feel like the only model wedding pics you're seeing out there are from like, hipster, country weddings?
    Posted by venforknot[/QUOTE]
    Did you visit the ruffled blog one too many times? ;-) I keep looking at it, though I am developing an aversion to flowers in mason jars and moustaches on sticks. And sometimes after looking at the offbeat bride blog I feel like I ought to join a support group--"my name is  . . . and I hired a florist."

I'm not against DIY and non-traditional weddings by any means, but I'm starting to think people planning weddings are caught between a Scylla of the big white traditional wedding and a Charybdis of the alternative wedding.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kinga9. Show kinga9's posts

Speaking of "new trendy" wedding things...when my fiance was shopping around for my ring (I wanted my birthstone aquamarine instead of a diamond) he was  bombarded by salewomen who insisted that he didn't know what he was talking about and tried to sell him a chocolate diamond instead. One woman even said, "If your girlfriend reads all the fashion mags, then she'll know what it is." Ummm....yeah....no.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

oh ven, the very first thing you need to do is stop reading bridal magazines.

It's just like a 12-year-old boy reading Playboy.

They put all kinds of very unrealistic thoughts in your head!  LOL!

Stay away from anything that implies that you "must" or "should" do any specific thing.  The only "musts" in the whole process are:  follow legal requirements, i.e. get license, and write thank you notes immediately.  Other than that, you can be a hip trendster in a barn or whatever you like!  Have fun. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from venforknot. Show venforknot's posts

Offbeat Bride almost talked me into wearing a quinceara dress for my wedding. Almost. Then I came back to reality and remembered I am #1) not latina, and it seems absurd that I would bogart their culture for my wedding when I have a perfectly nice one of my own and #2) I am not turning 15. whew. bullet = dodged. 

Even theknot has succumbed to this! if I see one more piece of cardboard with glued on pieces of twine and magic marker caligraphy passing for a program I'm going to cry. And while there are trees near my venue, there are none to which I could (or would want) to tie strings with people's names as places cards!! What the heck is wrong with a normal placecard?! They get thrown out by the servers like 5 seconds into the salad course anyway! I'm getting anxiety. LOL.

And chocolate diamonds? Did you know those used to be known as "trash" until someone realized they could make money off them with the right marketing team. God Bless 'em, I wish I had thought of that. Diamonds are a racket in and of themselves, being hte ost abundant gem on the planet, and I won't even get into that whole "DeBeers controls the universe" thing, but you know what? I still got me one.
    It's sparkly. LOL.Laughing

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I don't think there's anything "wrong" with plain placecards, but I just think a lot of people want to have everything seem really fun and personal.
    Sure, a piece of cardboard with twine on it written in marker might not look as polished as a program from the printers, but it's going to make me think they obviously put a lot of time and thought into it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from venforknot. Show venforknot's posts

P.S. I never proofread. It's a known fact. Excuse my typos.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from venforknot. Show venforknot's posts

I didn't mean to suggest that there's anything wrong with either approach. What's wrong is the hawking of it as "the" thing and the way so many girsl fall into the trap. DIY is very cute, if you're the type of person who's into that kind of thing. But it's not for everyone and there's like 700 pictures of this on every website and magazine out there right now so people just do it because they think it's cool. lol. Put your twine to the left, put your twine to the right. It's not so original anymore when it's in EVERY wedding. I've been to three these past 2 years that did that. They all got it from theknot. Not creative, not personal, not cute. Just copying. The best part is none of these girls would have  been able to find an arts and crafts store if they drove their Range Rovers right into it. They had all bought their twine cards premade online to look "different". It was silly.

I'm just trying give let all the other craftsy inept, pay someone else to do it -ers a reminder that we're just dandy and you are not alone :-) lol. It's ok if you don't know anyone who goes to Berklee who can play the uklele at your wedding. It's ok. lol. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

right, but I think that the pressure used to be for people to have a polished, flawless traditional wedding that only large sums of money could buy.

I think shifting the pressure to individuality and creativity is much more acheivable for everyone, as you don't need a lot of money to have creative touches, and as you said, if you're not crafty you can just buy it on Etsy.
    I think it's a good thing.

sure, a lot of things are going to be overdone, but that's the way it is with everything. trends come and go, as long as you're doing something that you really like- be it traditional or alternative, who cares?

I know it's frustrating when you're looking for something and you can't find it. I certainly went through a lot of that.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yellow diamonds were worthless, too!  Now, check out how much they get for 'em.  They look like urine-colored gems to me.  Nothing says "wealth" like urine-colored diamonds.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Pink, I don't think that venforknot is lambasting the DIY community, she's just, you know, talkin'.

Ven, are you using the knot's to-do list, where you put in your date and it tells you what to do when? That thing saved my life, but only after I got rid of the superfluous must-dos on it. I did a lot of DIY for my wedding, mostly because I had 11 months to plan and got bored, lol. But the knot goes bananas! They want you to hand-craft the tableware and fire it in your own kiln, only after you collect the encrusted jewels from hidden pirate treasure in Bali.

But hey, if you can do that stuff, then rock 'n roll sister and you go with your bad self. But the magazines and web sites make it seem like it's the only option, don't they?

Oooh, do you ever read the knot's forums? Those chicks are looney tunes. And MEAN! Kitty likes to scratch. (Not pinkkittie...she's nice..but don't provoke her just in case :)~

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

You guys are totally cracking me up.  Can I say how happy I am that the forums are coming back to life?  Welcome to all the newbies!

And I have to agree, weddings mags lately make you feel like if you don't DIY everything, you aren't putting enough of your "personal touch" on your wedding.  It makes you feel bad in the way that not being able to afford crazy-ass centerpieces used to make you feel bad.  I did some DIY type stuff (and got some great compliments on it at the wedding, which was nice!) but I'm just not that crafty and it can be hard to find the time when you are working full time.

I know a few people who DIY-ed their flowers and invitations and were like "never again, it was WAY too much work".  We had to assemble our preordered invites, which literally meant glueing the top card to the back card and tying a bow.   That was it.  They looked beautiful, but that took us an entire sunday.  It was rather sad.  (but a fun bonding experience for DH and I!).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

lol Kar, urine diamonds! "Chocolate" diamonds are just a euphemism for "looks like crusted p00p."

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

In Response to Re: General gripe:
    [QUOTE]Pink, I don't think that venforknot is lambasting the DIY community, she's just, you know, talkin'. Ven, are you using the knot's to-do list, where you put in your date and it tells you what to do when? That thing saved my life, but only after I got rid of the superfluous must-dos on it. I did a lot of DIY for my wedding, mostly because I had 11 months to plan and got bored, lol. But the knot goes bananas! They want you to hand-craft the tableware and fire it in your own kiln, only after you collect the encrusted jewels from hidden pirate treasure in Bali. But hey, if you can do that stuff, then rock 'n roll sister and you go with your bad self. But the magazines and web sites make it seem like it's the only option, don't they? Oooh, do you ever read the knot's forums? Those chicks are looney tunes. And MEAN! Kitty likes to scratch. (Not pinkkittie...she's nice..but don't provoke her just in case :)~
    Posted by WhirledPeasPlease[/QUOTE]

no, I know she's not knocking it. I'm just coming from the other side, trying to point out the silver lining in the trend, kind of thing.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from venforknot. Show venforknot's posts

Urine colored diamonds. LOL. That's fantastic. Now I kind of want to have chocolate and yellow diamonds encrusted into a 14k gold toilet shaped charm. LOL. ewwwwww.

theknot's to do list also was giving me anxiety and I'm a super planner. lol. I felt like I was turning into Woody Allen everytime I looked it over. I'm almost an OCD planner, and that list was like "Huh? I'm supposed to do what 30 years before my wedding? Be born. Oh, thank God, I managed that one." lol. I've posted some stuff on theknot but some of those ladies..yowza I wouldn't want to run into them in a dark alley! lol. I usually limit my involvement there to vendor recs.

I've got the big things done for my wedding.I did it all in 5 months. I hired people; and not a wedding planner and not expensive people, the most reasonable people I could find. If I had followed theknot I don't even think I'd be at the kiln yet, I think I'd still be desperately hunting out a team of carpenters to help me build the requisite barn for my reception. (the best part about this is that my venue actually has a barn on property! and I know we will shoot some pics there as an inside joke between me the future hubby despite how wildly inappropriate my dress and his super formal tux will be for pics in front of a barn)

The only thing remotely DIY about my wedding was going to get the flower baskets from Michael's for my centerpieces. And I can't even say that choosing them was DIY, someone pointed them out to me in a flyer and I just went and bought them. off season and on sale. lol.

I didn't weave them or anything. hmm...but maybe I'll tell everyone I did.

With that and my barn pics, I'll get a feature story in Martha Stewart Weddings and make some poor other craft-averse reader who hasn't owned a gluestick since 1st grade feel all underachieving. lol. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Make sure you wear your white, lace-up cowboy boots under your dress while posing on a 200-year-old tractor. And your hair should be frizzy, while your expression a mixture of contempt, aloofness, and detachment. It's not imperative that your DH is there with you.

Ohhh, I just had the best idea ever. We collaborate on a fake wedding and send it in to Martha Stewart or The Knot's Best Of magazine about how you sewed your own silk bridesmaids' dresses after raising the silk insect things (you can eat them afterward, no mess!) and wove your baskets out of sunshine and Zeus's twiney hair. Feature spread!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from venforknot. Show venforknot's posts

HA! love it. I forgot about the tractor. Thanks for reminding me. I'll need to start sanding the steel now if it's going to be ready in time for its fauxtina paint job...that DIY tip brought to you courtesy of SpikeTV's Powerblock on Sunday mornings. New craze created. Powerblock Weddings.  Tada! FEATURE SPREAD!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemondrop23. Show lemondrop23's posts

This thread just made me feel so much better about my lack of crafting ability! I desperately want to be crafty, but every time I try to make something, I get all OCD, try to perfect what already looks fine, and end up ruining whatever it is I'm making! I can picture myself weeping over failed DIY centerpieces...clearly not for me!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I didn't do much myself, lemon!  All I did myself was a Martha Stewart idea of putting the table number cards into slits in sugar pumpkin stems - it was a November wedding.  I bought stickers (mailbox numbers and Fall leaves) and stuck them on red card stock.  Slit the stems and stuck 'em in.  That's it!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from simon08. Show simon08's posts

don't forget the converse sneakers that seem to appear in alot of photos on not only the men but the bride as well!!