Google weddings!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Google weddings!

Google now provides a service for wedding planning- free!
    It can store your documents, bookmark sites where you find ideas you like, help you create a wedding website- pretty neat!
    http://www.google.com/weddings/

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Google weddings!

Google isn't paid for by taxpayer dollars - what's it to you?  And, what possible enjoyment can you get from deriding what Google spends its money developing?  Or, is the enjoyment you gather simply from throwing cold water on Pink's thread?

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leila32. Show Leila32's posts

"And who are you to question my comments? You throw your $.02 onto every thread in just about every category out there."  Isn't that a bit hypocritical?  Isn't that exactly what you're doing?

They're adding value to their company...they make a lot of money from advertisements from wedding vendors on the new site.  There are tons of other websites that offer the same thing...why wouldn't they tap into a new market?  In case you haven't noticed, most companies main goal isn't to solve problems, its to make money.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I've dedicated a fair number of posts to defending you when you get torn apart and taking a moment to ask how you're doing and wish you a good day.  Guess I should have taken the hint that you didn't give a sht or know a friend when you saw one when you never answered.  I got it, now.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

No, you can't store your documents online with MS Office. Google docs allows you to access your documents from any computer with an internet connection. Usually you have to pay for that service, or it's at least very limited. Remote access software isn't cheap and Box.net only allows you to store a certain amount of info with their free version.
    Google docs is also completely free, unlike MS Office which costs over $100.

This means no more wedding binders. No more carrying around CDs, flash drives or pieces of paper in order to keep everything organized. It means when one of your vendors emails you a contract, you can store it online and access it almost anywhere. If you have a smart phone, you can get them there. It's a wonderful convenience.

And, while other sites may offer similar services, it's nice to be able to get this kind of service and not have to go through The Knot or some other industrial wedding corporation. Now you don't have to hand over your email address and get inundated with junk emails just to organize your wedding online.

The best thing about it s that it's not gendered page. The only graphic is the cake-topper couple. Usually all these sites are so froofy and frothy that it puts people off. It's not just for "girls to put pictures of their shoes"- do you know how sexist that sounds?
    And seeing as how all of this is free, I don't know why you're whining about it. You love to tell people how stupid it is to spend money on weddings- well here's something wedding related that doesn't cost a penny! I'd think you'd appreciate that.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leila32. Show Leila32's posts

In Response to Re: Google weddings!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Google weddings! : Ah, now I'm getting schooled in business also, thanks. Companies solve problems for their customers, and get paid for it - that's how you make money. So good for google, they're putting up more potential advertising space, but the 'problem' they're solving (eg: just another place for girls to put clips of dresses, chair covers, and pictures of their shoes) is nothing more than a glorified online trapper keeper.
    Posted by some-guy[/QUOTE]

Okay, then let me rephrase.  Most companies don't solve new problems or offer any value that isn't already out there.  For example, look at how many clothing designers there are out there...they're not solving any new problems, and I suppose the value that they are adding is a matter of opinion.  What new problems are Fila and Reebok solving that Nike hasn't been doing for years?

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

[QUOTE]Wow, like, OMG!!  How ever did people plan a wedding before this came along? And, an added plus, you can now bore even more people with every little detail about your wedding no matter where you are even if you don't have your wedding binder.  Just pop on the website and there you are!  Yes, this is truly a great thing.  The world is now a much better place without having to carry that dreaded wedding binder around. 

you're not boring the vendors who need you to bring along documents to planning meetings.
    you're not boring the people helping you plan the wedding by being able to present your guest list, contracts, etc. at the drop of a hat.

it's not hooked up to Facebook or Twitter. the only social sharing site is Picasa where people can share pictures- and everyone these days shares their wedding photos online with their friends and family. it's far less boring to have someone send you a link in your email than it is for someone to come over and corner you with an album or a slide projector.

You're just a wet blanket. Get over yourself. People have always had ways of boring others with their weddings, kids, pets, etc. The difference with this technology is that no one's the wiser if you decide not to look.

Google is already doing plenty of good with its charity work, Google Books, and by simply making the wbe easier to navigate. I don't see how a web developer is going to cure cancer or solve world hunger, but that doesn't mean that what they do isn't valuable in some way to some people.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I don't see the point of the application. I kept all my contracts in a folder, just like I do for my other non-wedding related contracts [leases, mortagages, bank info].  I would never store sensitive information digitally.  If I did, I'd have a paper back up.  But that's just me.  I didn't have a 'wedding binder' or 'wedding trapper keeper' and don't know of anyone who did.  I also don't have a smart phone, but know people who do and they are addicted to them. I suspect this app or feature is just another silly toy to play with, much like Angry Birds, but at least it's somewhat more useful than flinging electronic birds at pigs.  If it floats their boat, great, but I'm never going to use it.

I also don't get why if you hate weddings so much you spend so much time on the wedding boards carping about how terrible and what a waste of money they are. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

but ALF- what if you need your folder and forget it at home? couldn't you see using this type of thing then? and having everything on paper gets to be a little much when most idea searches happen online. now you don't have to print out a bunch of stuff and carry it around. Google Docs is just as secure as any personal email service.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

[QUOTE]I love the phrase "get over yourself".  It's so grown up & sophisticated, shows you're a real big girl now.

carpping all over other people's weddings and other interests is not a noble and mature pursuit.
    people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

I see now you've resorted to ad hominem attacks because you can no longer back up your original argument. That's pretty immature.

like anyone here finds you sophisticated! LOL

if the vast majority of guys don't care about weddings- why do they keep proposing and why do gay men want to get married?
    and you shouldn't be talking about backbones, you who hides behind anonymity to spew ugliness at people you don't know on a topic you claim to not care about. You're not exactly a pillar of courage.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

PK:  I started using Google docs for the first time to store wedding stuff.  It was one of the most useful tools for me while we planned our wedding!  LIke you said, I kept all my contracts there, lists of things to do, budget spreadsheets, docs where I stored links for stuff I liked.  The best part was great to be able to access it from anywhere at anytime.  (not having to remember to bring a flash drive or the binder).

Alf:  I still had a binder, but truthfully having it all online was way easier than filing it in paper form.

I think it is a great idea.  Sure, you can do it many other ways, but Google is just adding another option.

ETA: oh yeah, i forgot the most important benefit.  I could share it with my DH so that he could add to it and edit it also, from his computer.  How do you share a binder in 2 different places at the same time?  He could add to the guest list, look up a contract, or look at the budget.  It is not just for pictures of shoes.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

[QUOTE]but ALF- what if you need your folder and forget it at home? couldn't you see using this type of thing then? and having everything on paper gets to be a little much when most idea searches happen online. now you don't have to print out a bunch of stuff and carry it around. Google Docs is just as secure as any personal email service.
    Posted by pinkkittie27[/QUOTE]

I would only need my folder if I were meeting w/ a vendor or doing something else wedding related. Just like any other meeting, I make sure I bring all my documents with me.  I don't have impromptu meetings, so I would never be in a situation where I needed a document that I don't have. Besides, I can't read the print on a phone that brings up the Internet, so the app or function would be of no use to me. 

Pink, I have a trac phone sitting on my counter at home. I've been too busy to set it up. Once I do, I am getting rid of my regular cell phone.  I will never use a feature like this.  Call me an old fogy, but I just don't see the point of this stuff. Yes, it can be useful, but I am a planner. Planning ahead has worked for 38 years.  I expect it will work for the remainder of my life as well, without a computer application or function. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Google weddings! : Well, if you're supposed to be somewhere and it's wedding related, then simply bring it with you.  Just like anything else in life - be preparead. And what "ideas" do you really need to be looking for?  It's a dinner party - food, drinks, a lousy dj, cheasy band or someone's bad ipod mix, and there you have it. Far, far too much is being made out of 6 hours of one's life.

not just ideas. vendor pages, review pages, DIY projects- some people put a lot of effort into dinner parties. Look at Martha Stewart and Julia Child.

and your preparedness argument supports having everything online. it means you'd always be prepared wherever you may be going.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

ALF:  do you not use spreadsheets for budgets, guest lists, addreses, etc?   You don't do any of that stuff on a computer?  If you really do all that stuff on paper, then yeah, you are behind the times.

I type WAY faster than I write anymore, so I do pretty much everything on a computer.  Google docs is basically an online filing cabinet or binder.  I do everything electronically.  Come to think of it, my wedding binder was pretty useless other than having hard copies of signed contracts.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Trex- excellent points!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Google weddings! : Are you serious? Guys propose because you're pushed to it by society, pushed to it by the diamond industry(ever watch tv?), and pushed to it by millions of 20-something girls who just have to get the next thing checked off their list.  It's an absolute joke, and before you realize that, you're already sucked up into it. And just as fast as it came, it's over, and all that effort, time, $$ went for nothing more than a big dinner party. As for gay guys wanting to get married - I'm not going to try to get into their heads, but it probably has a lot to do with society telling them that they can't.

wow, you're so cynical it borders on dementia.

People get married for all sorts of reasons, and it's true that a few of them are probably doing it for the wrong reasons, but you can't just project your own bitterness onto the entire world and think it's a fact. It says way more about you than it does about the wedding industry.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

[QUOTE]ALF:  do you not use spreadsheets for budgets, guest lists, addreses, etc?   You don't do any of that stuff on a computer?  If you really do all that stuff on paper, then yeah, you are behind the times. I type WAY faster than I write anymore, so I do pretty much everything on a computer.  Google docs is basically an online filing cabinet or binder.  I do everything electronically.  Come to think of it, my wedding binder was pretty useless other than having hard copies of signed contracts.
    Posted by trex509[/QUOTE]
    Yes, I do spread sheets for budgets, but why would I need my budget information when I am out and about?  I know what my budget is [household budget; my wedding was a while ago and I knew what my budget for that was off the top of my head].  I type insanely fast as well. 

I keep my addresses in an old fashioned address book.  Our computer crashed several months ago and DH lost all his addresses. He was up the creek.  I don't think he's recreated it beyond 75%. 

I like my filing cabinet. I also will never get an eReader or kindle. I enjoy the tactile experience involved w/ reading.  

ETA: I only did the household budget spread sheet b/c I couldn't figure out where some money was going.  I admit it was useful in figuring this out.  I will never hop on board the digital revolution train.  These devices have their functions and I'm required to check my work blackberry at regular intervals, but I actually take into account the LACK of technology available when planning my vacations.  If there is no phone reception or other kinds of electronic availability, that's a plus in my book.  Must be b/c I have 2 computers on my desk w/ split screens, which is insanely useful when drafting documents, but when I'm home, I want peace and quiet w/ no beeping.  lol.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leila32. Show Leila32's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Google weddings! : Are you serious? Guys propose because you're pushed to it by society, pushed to it by the diamond industry(ever watch tv?), and pushed to it by millions of 20-something girls who just have to get the next thing checked off their list.  It's an absolute joke, and before you realize that, you're already sucked up into it. And just as fast as it came, it's over, and all that effort, time, $$ went for nothing more than a big dinner party. As for gay guys wanting to get married - I'm not going to try to get into their heads, but it probably has a lot to do with society telling them that they can't.

Right, because no one ever got married before the invention of TV advertising.  Look, you're not going to convince anyone here of your cynical bs...the only thing you've convinced us of is how miserable you are.