Google weddings!

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Re: Google weddings!

In Response to Re: Google weddings!:
    [QUOTE]Our computer crashed several months ago and DH lost all his addresses. He was up the creek.  I don't think he's recreated it beyond 75%
    Posted by ALF72[/QUOTE]

if he used Google address book, he wouldn't have lost anything.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

He used Outlook, pk. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Google weddings! : Give it a few more years, and your husband will feel the same way.
    Posted by some-guy[/QUOTE]

LOL, my my, how sophisticated and mature you are! It's not every day you meet a psychic cynic! Any other lofty predictions?

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

[QUOTE]He used Outlook, pk. 
    Posted by ALF72[/QUOTE]

Outlook only backs up your information to your hard drive. Google stores everything on a remote server. So it's not affected by hard drive crashes.

My DH has a smart phone and every time he updates his Google address book on his phone or online, it updates the other. One time my cell phone crashed and I lost everything. When his cell phone was stolen, all of his info was still stored online. He had no problems at all. Technology is pretty cool like that.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

[QUOTE]TV and media advertising has created this whole thing for recent generations of girls who are bombarded with all of this nonsense. No I'm not saying that people only buy a ring(which is another stupid tradition) because of advertising.  But I am saying that advertising is responsible for planting the visions of grandeur in the heads of young girls to the point where they just 'have' to get married.  Thus the push to do it.

LOL
    you're not seriously saying that there was no pressure for girls to get married before TV and media advertising?
    there has always been incredible societal pressure for girls to get married- it used to be the only way they could survive, or at least own anything.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

[QUOTE]Not no pressure, but less and of a different kind.

LESS? LOL!
    You mean not being able to own anything or have a decent income unless one was married is less pressure than that of TV ads?

That's got to be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard!

Women couldn't own land! They couldn't have a job, at least not the kind of job that affords a comfortable life. The only way they could be rich was to be a wife, widow or an heiress.

the pressure to get married now is driven by the idea that marriage makes you happy.
    the pressure in the ye olde days was that if you didn't get married, you were going to have a hard time feeding yourself and keeping a roof over your head, unless your father was a wealthy man who lived forever.
    I would say that kind of pressure is far more substantial than any "keeping up with the joneses" media-driven pressure.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Google weddings! : if he used Google address book, he wouldn't have lost anything.
    Posted by pinkkittie27[/QUOTE]

Checkmate!

Alf: you might not jump on the digital revolution, but you have to admit that you are in the minority.

Also, what happens if you have a fire or lose your address book?  Everything has a weakness and everyone has their own preference.  Google Docs was a great option for me. I had my wedding guest address in a spreadsheet so when I printed  addresses on the envelopes, it was a simple mail merge.  Very convenient, easy to update.  I find paper address books a pain to update.  They get very messy if you have to erase or cross out addresses to update them.

ETA: granted, the address spreadsheet was in Office, but Google Docs was used for other things.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

you've shown that you're not above personal attacks. And you're clearly no expert on women's history or issues, so you're not one to judge. You also don't know me or know what I studied in college or in my spare time, so you can't make such assumptions. You don't need a doctorate in history to know that women still don't get equal pay and have always had to fight for the things that are simply handed to men. The societal pressure on women to get married will always trump any amount of advertising. Even now there are women in the world who don't have any rights unless they're married. So don't act like that's all ancient history.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

"people lose track of reality" LOL this coming from the same person who just said that all men only get married because they've been trapped into it by women and advertisers. Your lack of self-awareness is kind of disturbing. Like a message board Don Quixote tilting your lance at windmills. The reality is that none of your cynical comments on a single message board are going to change one stranger's mind about getting married or planning their wedding. But if you want to go on thinking you're a noble knight fighting the good fight, then more power to you.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You're a real person that I cared something about even though I don't know your name or even close to everything about you.  When I called you a friend, I meant inasmuch as you've let me in on your life.

"Friend" can mean a wide range of things, and every single friendship is limited by the knowledge we have of each other no matter what the forum.

I'm not ashamed that I care about people even if I don't know as much about them as I would if I were to know them offline or their real names. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Google weddings! : Yawn, I see the 'equal pay' argument is still alive & kicking.  You're such an advocate for technology and puting your life online, you should know that all it takes is about 5 minutes to really find who someone is.  So soemone can find who you are, what you studied in college, and what you do - at least to the point that you're truthful in your online life.

I see that denial is still thriving as well. I suppose if you cover your ears and eyes hard enough you can say anything doesn't exist. As I said, it doesn't take a lot of research to know that women still haven't achieved total equality.

from www.aflcio.org: "The gap between men's and women's earnings widened slightly between 2007 and 2008, from 77.8 percent (generally rounded to 78 percent) to 77 percent. In 2009, women who were full-time wage and salary workers had median weekly earnings of $657, or about 80 percent of the $819 median for their male counterparts. Economist Evelyn Murphy, president and founder of The WAGE Project, estimates the wage gap costs the average full-time U.S. woman worker between $700,000 and $2 million over the course of her work life. These figures are even worse for women of color. In 2009, the average weekly earnings for African American women were $582, some 68.9 percent of white men's earnings. Latinas' earnings were $509, some 60.2 percent of white men's earnings." http://www.aflcio.org/issues/jobseconomy/women/equalpay/

You don't know what I studied in college and you don't know what I read in my spare time. Not all classes taken are part of a major or concentration. Electives are required. You cannot make such assumptions about me. Nor can you assume that people who worked at makeup counters (and I worked at a store, not a counter, btw) are ignorant in every other subject known to man. Lots of people work in retail or as servers in college. There's no shame in it.

all of your personal attacks are attempts to cover up the fact that you can't back up your arguments- like your statement that there was a time when there was less pressure on women to get married than there is today.
    Please, enlighten me as to when this magical time existed.
    Please, tell me why someone should go out and buy the newest version of MS Office rather than use Google docs to plan their wedding.
    Please, tell me how it is you know the reasons behind all marriages in this country.

You can't, so you'll just make fun of my former jobs, where I went to school, and how I'm immature- all just to distract from the fact that you can't back up your own statements. Then you whine when other people attack you!

ALF made stronger arguments for not needing the technology, and she didn't have to stoop to mockery or sarcasm.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

And, anyone interested in the changing attitudes towards marriage and the related marriage decline, this Pew Research Study is really interesting:

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JEnvie. Show JEnvie's posts

i love the pew foundation
    the pew charitable foundation
    how can you not love a charitable foundation that allows you to say pew all the time?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Google weddings! : Checkmate! Alf: you might not jump on the digital revolution, but you have to admit that you are in the minority. Also, what happens if you have a fire or lose your address book?  Everything has a weakness and everyone has their own preference.  Google Docs was a great option for me. I had my wedding guest address in a spreadsheet so when I printed  addresses on the envelopes, it was a simple mail merge.  Very convenient, easy to update.  I find paper address books a pain to update.  They get very messy if you have to erase or cross out addresses to update them. ETA: granted, the address spreadsheet was in Office, but Google Docs was used for other things.
    Posted by trex509[/QUOTE]

I never said technology wasn't convenient or didn't have it's uses. I love the fact that my blackberry means that I don't have to go into the office to answer email [I can't access it remotely b/c of security issues and the home set up is elaborate b/c of security issues - I need a special network for security -this isn't your average firewall or other typical electronic security].  I am also inordinately fond of my 2 computer screens [one flat screen monitor and one laptop] on my desk b/c it makes life that much easier to not have to click out of various screens. 

If I lose stuff in a fire, oh well.  I guess I just need to avoid being in a structure that catches on fire.  No one, not even the best planner, can plan for every contingency.  I happen to like my pretty little address book.  We move quite a bit, as do most of our friends, so I am updating quite regularly.  My own relatives haven't moved in years, nor have DH's. I can recall their addresses and telephone numbers w/o resorting to the book. 

I don't use labels.  I hand address anything that goes out, even bills. 

ETA: and Pink, I never said I had no need for technology. Clearly, one cannot work in today's day and age and not use technology.  It is needed. However, one does not 'need' it quite so much for personal business. Yes, I have computerized records, but the bulk of my records are hard copies in a good, old fashioned file cabinet.  I also have hundreds of books around my house.  I enjoy reading the hard copies and will never read books for pleasure electronically.  It's just not my thing. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

[QUOTE]i love the pew foundation the pew charitable foundation how can you not love a charitable foundation that allows you to say pew all the time?
    Posted by JEnvie[/QUOTE]

so very true! :)

ALF- I said "not needing the technology" as in the specific technology being discussed here. I know you must use technology, you are here posting on this message board, after all. :)
    I just know, for my own contingencies, this particular type of technology is useful. It's just great that people have options and can choose what best works for them. For you, it's a hard-copy address book, for me, it's Google's services.
    I just got an iPad a month ago and I'm reading more now than I ever did before. I like not having to go to the bookstore or the library, and not having to find any more room for books in my apartment, as my shelves are already full!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Alf, I could have written this myself.  I too have 2 screens at work and love them.  I have a cell phone, but it is for emergency only.  Everyone that knows me, knows I have a home phone and to call me on that. I do not want to talk to you on the train, supermarket or street.  Unless it is an emergency  I have no need to talk to you. I do text occasionaly and I am very tech savy as I am in the technology field  However I think a lot of people go overboard with it. And whatever happened to peace and quiet??  I do not have a home pc or laptop.  Yes, I am considering getting one, but it is not on my high list of things I "need"  I work a computer all day and can't imagine when I would use it except the weekend. I do my budget on an Excel spreadsheet.  If I lost that, I think I would survive as I did pay bills long before Excel or computers.  Technology is a wonderful thing, but sadly people are way too dependent on it to me.  I love to read and have no interest in the Kindle either and I will grieve when newspapers go away.  Call me old fashioned and behind the times, but don't push this technology on me or make me feel inferior because I am not interested.  Just my opinion folks. 

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Google weddings! : I never said technology wasn't convenient or didn't have it's uses. I love the fact that my blackberry means that I don't have to go into the office to answer email [I can't access it remotely b/c of security issues and the home set up is elaborate b/c of security issues - I need a special network for security -this isn't your average firewall or other typical electronic security].  I am also inordinately fond of my 2 computer screens [one flat screen monitor and one laptop] on my desk b/c it makes life that much easier to not have to click out of various screens.  If I lose stuff in a fire, oh well.  I guess I just need to avoid being in a structure that catches on fire.  No one, not even the best planner, can plan for every contingency.  I happen to like my pretty little address book.  We move quite a bit, as do most of our friends, so I am updating quite regularly.  My own relatives haven't moved in years, nor have DH's. I can recall their addresses and telephone numbers w/o resorting to the book.  I don't use labels.  I hand address anything that goes out, even bills.  ETA: and Pink, I never said I had no need for technology. Clearly, one cannot work in today's day and age and not use technology.  It is needed. However, one does not 'need' it quite so much for personal business. Yes, I have computerized records, but the bulk of my records are hard copies in a good, old fashioned file cabinet.  I also have hundreds of books around my house.  I enjoy reading the hard copies and will never read books for pleasure electronically.  It's just not my thing. 
    Posted by ALF72[/QUOTE]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

rab·ble-rous·er

[rab-uhl-rou-zer] Show IPA
    –noun
    a person who stirs up the passions or prejudices of the public, usually for his or her own interests; demagogue.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

That's great. Going to the library for me is like a treasure hunt - wander the aisles and you never know what kind of treasure you'll find. It's also peacefully quiet in there, so you can wander in peace, pick something up, put it down, etc.  Also, there is nothing like the smell and feel of an actual book.  I  get that many people prefer the convenience of the electronic book, but that will never be me.  Maybe I'm weird.  :-)