Hair trial - do I tip?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

Hair trial - do I tip?

I have my hair trial this weekend and suddenly I just realized I don't know if I am supposed to tip the stylist, and how much...  Does anyone have any hair trial experiences to share?  (I will have the same question about makeup, which is a different artist, next week...)  What if I hate it?  Has anyone disliked their hair or makeup at their trial?  Did anyone else use a hair stylist they've never used before?  (I am getting married in Maine but live in Boston, so I've never met the stylists before!)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Re: Hair trial - do I tip?

I had my first hair trial and make-up trial back in March.  Hated both my hair and make-up, and all I can say is how much I've been kicking myself (even now) for tipping them.  They sucked!

If you're happy with the service, tip.  If not, tell them.  That's another thing.  If you're not satisfied with the way your hair or make-up comes out, make sure you tell them.  My make-up person was telling me how open she is to listening to her clients, and how she likes constructive criticism.  That was a bunch of bull because when I told her I wasn't happy, and I didn't look like myself, and the make-up was already coming off, she got upset.  She's all, "I've never heard complaints before".  Um, maybe those are just girls who were scared to tell you. 

Also, all my hair person at my first trial kept saying was, "Trust me, it'll be tighter and look better the day of your wedding".  Um, isn't the point of a trial to SEE what it'll look like on the day?  I looked like I just got out of the gym, and my hair was all over the place.  

As you can tell, I didn't book their services.   

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

In Response to Re: Hair trial - do I tip?:
    [QUOTE]I had my first hair trial and make-up trial back in March.  Hated both my hair and make-up, and all I can say is how much I've been kicking myself (even now) for tipping them.  They sucked! If you're happy with the service, tip.  If not, tell them.  That's another thing.  If you're not satisfied with the way your hair or make-up comes out, make sure you tell them.  My make-up person was telling me how open she is to listening to her clients, and how she likes constructive criticism.  That was a bunch of bull because when I told her I wasn't happy, and I didn't look like myself, and the make-up was already coming off, she got upset.  She's all, "I've never heard complaints before".  Um, maybe those are just girls who were scared to tell you.  Also, all my hair person at my first trial kept saying was, "Trust me, it'll be tighter and look better the day of your wedding".  Um, isn't the point of a trial to SEE what it'll look like on the day?  I looked like I just got out of the gym, and my hair was all over the place.   As you can tell, I didn't book their services.   
    Posted by Goodness1[/QUOTE]

I have heard that they say "it will look better/tighter/more polished" on the day of the wedding... but that never made sense! You are right, you go to the trial to see exactly what it will be like on the day of.  I purposely made my appointment for 10am so I could see how it would look 12 hours later at 10pm.  I am just nervous that it won't come out well and I'll feel awkward about telling them so.  I will flat out tell the makeup person that this is a "trial" and that I am considering doing my own makeup.  If I don't like it when it's done, then I will be doing it myself. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

I think that's a good way of thinking.  Make sure you tell them exactly what you're looking for.  Have picture ideas for your hair, and even your make-up.  I had pictures for those things, and it was helpful.  That way, you two can work together on creating the look you want for the day of your wedding.  Please, please don't be afraid to tell them what you want.  If you don't like your hair or make-up, tell them.  Another thing, don't let them talk you into not looking at yourself during.  My first make-up person did that, and when I looked in the mirror, I was scared!!  The make-up was awful, I looked nothing like myself, it looked heavy, the colors were awful, and dark circles under my eyes.  I looked tired.  I was so upset.  Plus, it wipes off, and was running down my face within the first 30 minutes, no lie! 

My second trial went fabulously.  It's the same person doing both my hair and make-up, and I couldn't have been happier.  She even came over to my house 20 minutes early, so we could talk and get to know each other.  By the time she left that day, I felt totally comfortable with her, and like we were friends.  It was great.  I watched her do my hair and make-up and was so happy with the outcome.  I looked like myself with my make-up, and my hair came out so good... looked just like the picture I had given her. 

Please, please, please be yourself.  Tell her your thoughts and feelings on your look.  It is your wedding day. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Neena101511. Show Neena101511's posts

I would say if your paying for them to do a trial and it goes well it can't hurt to tip them. If it goes anything like Goodness' then just foot the bill and run (no tip), a tip when your paying for services is just that. But if there doing it for nothing then I would at least throw down a couple bucks especially if there polite, or your going to hire them for your wedding.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Oh, Neena, I had to pay for my trial and I was stupid enough to tip them, too.  They sucked!!!  If it were in me, I'd give a warning out to all you ladies to avoid this particular make-up person, but I just can't do it.  Not whole-heartedly. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I looked at the trial just like any other hair appointment.  Wouldn't dream of not tipping, BUT if I wasn't happy I would certainly tip less. 

My make-up trial was awful.  Ha!  Actually I just realized I didn't tip the make-up person at the trial!!  Wasn't intentional, but I am glad now that I think of it because she was awful.  I was probably trying so hard not to cry that I just left without tipping.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

I will tip, because the girl who has been doing my hair for about 4 years now is also doing my hair the day of my wedding. Like Fram, I see it as any other hair appointment.

My makeup trial on the other hand will all depend. I have only met the woman once to book it, and don't know her at all, just some random Clinique rep who works at Macy's. Hopefully she is good! My makeup trial isn't until next summer!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

I'm a strong believer that tipping should be done when someone gets any type of service.  I was just mad at myself for tipping (as well as I did) for my hair and make-up trial when both came out horribly.  I'm still mad!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

Update - I had my hair trial and my hair fell out completely after an hour.  I spent $110 on what?  (Oh yes, you read that right, $110 for the trial.  I am still floored.  And yes, that included my 20% tip.) 

She said she was just doing a "rough draft" to determine the style - didn't use hair spray or product or anything.  Should I be worried?!