Help with gray suit rental

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdd01. Show jdd01's posts

Help with gray suit rental

Hello All,

So the only thing I really care about in the wedding is that my men wear gray suits...crazy, I know, but it's more important to me than what I or what the bridemaids wear for some reason.  The only problem is that I can't find anywhere that RENTS gray SUITS.  I don't want to buy and I don't want a tux.

I've tired:

Men's Warehouse (same as Mr. Tux now) - They only have a gray tux with some silk on the lapel that I personally don't like and they have one dark gray suit that we could buy.

Russo's - Again, they have that same gray tux that I don't like and they have black, brown and tan suits that we can rent.

Marry and Tux (NH) - I called and they told me I was the first person to ask about gray suits all year and that they only do tuxedos.

Classic Tuxedos - They told me that they just discontinued the only gray suit that they had and that they 'might' get another gray suit in December.

Has anyone been to a tux shop where they happen to remember whether or not they rented gray suits?  Has anyone found themselves in the same predicament? 
    My FMIL doesn't think I should make the guys buy a suit, but the girls would have to buy a dress...that most don't wear again, mind you...and a suit a guy can totally wear again, right? 

I am trying to find gray suit rentals first so any help would be greatly appreciated!  If not, I would take any suggestions on where to buy nicely made, affordable gray suits?  My men are all different heights and structured differently so a place with a large selection of sizes would be a plus.

Thanks in advance!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nsh1018. Show nsh1018's posts

Re: Help with gray suit rental

Try Jim's Formal Wear.  Look in their store locator for a store that carries them.  Not sure if they have gray but they do rent suits.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

I do not know your location, but Bonardis provided grey suits,and  navy suits, as well as grey and navy tuxes and morning clothes  for different weddings that DH was in.  Friends used them too.  Their near Mass Pike locations - Framingham, Auburn,  Worcester, Sturbridge , ?forgot 5th - made them a natural for people going the Boston to NYC area for weddings.

Good on short notice, as well as in advance, and they have a cruise rental week option that is good if they are a ways away, and you want a suit for rehearsal dinner and wedding.  They also do career suits for men and women, which means you can get a women's suit with skirt or pants to go with men's for an opposite gender attendant. 
    http://www.bonardis.com

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdd01. Show jdd01's posts

I actually went to K&G this weekend and found a few great gray suits to purchase!  I was so excited!!!  There were a few that my FI and I really liked and they were all at great prices.  Tailoring is also available and also at an affordable price.  I spoke to the manager and he advised that since our wedding isn't until Labor Day weekend of next year, that we come back around March or April when there will be more of an inventory available for us to chose from.  We went to the Reading, MA location and received great service so far.  We'll definitely be going back there to get all of the groom men's suits!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TammieMarie. Show TammieMarie's posts

We used Dominics of Plymouth for navy blue suits.  If that is near where you live, I would highly recommend them.  It's a family business, and the owners are very accomodating.  The father of the owner is a master tailor and made alterations on the spot.  For the guys who were out of town, we just called in the measurements and picked up the suits for the wedding.  Great vendor!!!  Don't know for sure they have grey suits, but I suspect they do.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kathbos. Show kathbos's posts

You mentioned that you did not want to buy however, my husband was insistant about having suits and not Tuxes.  I didn't care either way but I did ask that price not go over what they would have to pay to rent a tux. I felt guilty about making them buy it.
    He ended up getting a great deal at Macy's on Calvin Klein suits. They were great about everything and because we were registered there we were able to get a discount. They put the suits on the registry list and them took them off for the discount. We also got a discount because we opened a credit line with them. My husband put all the suits needed off the shelf on the charge card and then men paid that off. They could exchange for the right size and then alterations were free with the line of credit he got.  Each guy ended up getting a CK tailored suit, shirt, and tie for $185 and they were happy they all now have a great suit in their closet paying only a bit more than they would to rent a tux they would have to return. Most of them have worn it three or four times already (we have a lot of weddings this year).   Ended up being a lot more than what my girls paidfor their BM dresses...how often do you hear that :-) 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

kathbos -  The suits will be worn enough over time that cost initially is not an issue.
         My FI was dead set on not buying tuxes.  But with him in 7 weddings with either navy or grey suits, and 3 plus his own in a tux, in one April to Oct season, plus a guest at multiple weddings-  he bought the 2 suits and a tux, and some in his similar situation bought, some rented.
          Even the tux has had 15 wedding or formal occasions I can think of, plus some of our evenings out  in 3 years.  That makes  a 350  investment and cleanings cost effective - rented suits cost 40-45 a single use.  Never would he have bought a shiny lapel grey suit, or a chocolate one, or a cutaway or a stroller with top hat he has worn once each in the past 2 years.  Those were wise rentals.  But who cannot make use of a nice suit with a subtle pinstripe in grey or navy?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdd01. Show jdd01's posts

Thank you for the suggestion Tammie, I'll look into them as well.

kathbos - if you don't mind me asking, which Macy's did you use?  Was there a particular department that you talked to?  A particular person that was helpful?
    We  have two groomsmen that are out of town (CT and NC), so I was wondering how would they would handel those alternations and discounts?  Did you go with coupons or during sale days?
    Thanks!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kathbos. Show kathbos's posts

We actually used Macy's in Peabody and worked with the folks in the men's suit department. There were two people that my husband used and felt really comfortable with them. I will get their names and send your way.  My husband took care of it on is own (I had nothing to do with it) so it can't be that difficult :-)  We had some groomsmen out of town.  The suits we bought were seperates so what we did was get their measurements and bought the pants and suit coats in their size. Some even went to a Macy's close to them to try on the suits to get their right sizing. We did have to buy them all at one location though  and within the course of 3 days to get new charge card discount. If they didnt have the size in stock we simply bought a different size off the rack, and the Macy's associate ordered the correct size and just switched them out. My brother who lived in Seattle actually came in the week of the wedding and alterations were done only a few days before. THey actually told us up to the day before they could handle the alterations that day.  We actually didn't have coupons but got the discount off our registry and the new CC discount.  My husband actually bought the suits over a course of a few days (needed to gather all the sizes). They were on sale at first, and then not on sale. But they gave us the sale price without us even asking. Sound complicated (at least to me it did) but my husband had no issues.