How did fiance propose?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Re: How did fiance propose?

I LOVE this story. :)

I also love KMTs new avatar, and I will never look at rabbit fur the same way again.  What a day...

In Response to Re: How did fiance propose?:
    [QUOTE]I knew it was coming because we were in the process of buying a house and we had been talking about it for a while. Two days before we closed, he took a couple days off work (I thought to get ready to close, but he was getting the ring). I should preface all of this with that I had told him that I didn't care about a fancy ring and he could get me something out of crackerjack box and I'd be happy. I got home from work and he asked me to grab him a beer. I opened a fridge and said, "Why is there a box of crackerjacks in the fridge?" And then the room started spinning, because I knew what was coming... He said, "You have to look at the special prize inside." He had tucked the ring into the crackerjack box and resealed it, lol. I love this story; FI dies of embarrassment every time I tell it, though.
    Posted by WhirledPeasPlease[/QUOTE]

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

I hear ya Lucy.......

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

We had been dating for over 2 years and had talked about marriage, but DH wanted some time to save for a ring.  I told him not to worry too much about the size or the cost, but of course they never listen!  I didn't want to pressure him too much, but I did go to bluenile.com and show him a few shapes I wouldn't want.

We went to Cancun on vacation.  The first night there, I was getting ready in the bathroom and he called me out to the balcony where he was waiting on one knee.  He opened up the box, but before he could say anything, I jumped on him and gave him a big hug.  Then he tried to put the ring on my right hand :o)  I was so glad he did it the first night because I had told myself if nothing happened the first two days/nights, I needed to put the idea out of my mind!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I'm going to tell the rest of the story because I think it's kind of errr nice to hear something different?  I hated the ring.  Absolutely 100% hated it.  It was one of of the few shapes I had asked him NOT to get me.  Have you ever seen the Sex in the City episode where Carrie discovers that Aidan bought her a gold ring with a pear shaped diamond?  It was like that!  I thought, My goodness he doesn't know me at all!  I walked down to dinner in a daze and couldn't sleep that night because I was so worried I would say something in my sleep.  I hope that doesn't sound horrible!  I am not an ungrateful or materialistic person, but you do dream about being proposed to!

In the end, I did not tell him because I recognized that this was a huge decision for him to make and there was so much pressure and I didn't want to ruin it for him.  I have grown to love it!  I truly mean that.  And it didn't take me long to realize I could make it more my style when we got the band.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Wait Fra...is it gold and pear shaped, like Carries?? That episode is HILARIOUS!! When Miranda is like "I'm a pregnant woman shopping for ANOTHER woman's enagegment ring, what did you expect?"

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Miranda:  "By the way, that's a hand me down ring.  I would never say 'yes' to a hand me down ring".

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]Dougas...really? Why are you here?
    Posted by Peonie[/QUOTE]

Just hit the ignore button on him. :)

Here's ours.

I found the empty ring box in the glove compartment 9 months after we started dating, and didn't say a thing.  I didn't want to ruin his plan.  I drove myself and all my friends nuts waiting for what I KNEW he had...or at least I thought I knew...what if it was a necklace I kept wondering.  2 1/2 months later (and many "moments" where I thought, "Here it comes!", on Christmas morning, I opened a card with a bump in it that said, "To my wife at Christmas..."   Not exactly a question, but he had every right to be confident!  I pulled the ring, wrapped in tissue paper, out of the card's celophane wrap and said "Yes!" to the question he didn't exactly ask. ;) 

(Come to find out, he knew I knew the whole time!  He saw me get a napkin from the glove compartment and remembered he'd tossed the box in there.)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Kar, ha... I love how you "acted" surprised.  That's cute.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Aww Kar...I love that :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

[QUOTE]Who are the cheeseballs who pick out a ring BEFORE the proposal? Talk about taking the surprise away. I haven't even told my story (soon to be a movie) and it is already the best one.  
    Posted by dougas[/QUOTE]

Is the movie called "I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry?"

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Kmt...I secretly love that movie because I have a major crush on Kevin James....so let's not assume that loser is even as good looking at that!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

[QUOTE]Kmt...I secretly love that movie because I have a major crush on Kevin James....so let's not assume that loser is even as good looking at that!
    Posted by Sept2010Bride[/QUOTE]

Kevin James is adorable!  I've always had the crush on Adam Sandler, though.  He's just got those really sweet, sensitive eyes.  :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I really WAS surprised, that's the funny part.  After all the "is this IT" moments, I never thought about it at all on Christmas.  Weird, huh?!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Fram...that is a sweet story, and I am glad that you fell in love with your ring!

I always pictured myself with a solitaire round brilliant, I even secretly tried them on behind FI's back, so when I got a solitaire princess cut I was a little taken aback. I liked it, and thought it was beautiful, but never really even looked at or considered square shape diamonds, now I LOVE THEM. My mom even bought me matching princess cut diamond earrings to wear on the day of my wedding :) Yeah...she jumped the gun a little bit!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Danielle44. Show Danielle44's posts

I proposed to him! 
    We had been discussing it for a couple of months.  I knew he was ready, but he was waiting for a time when it would be special.  I couldn't wait any longer, so I asked him.  He said 'yes', then went to the bedroom and came back with a ring and asked me to marry him too.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]I proposed to him!  We had been discussing it for a couple of months.  I knew he was ready, but he was waiting for a time when it would be special.  I couldn't wait any longer, so I asked him.  He said 'yes', then went to the bedroom and came back with a ring and asked me to marry him too.
    Posted by Danielle44[/QUOTE]

Wow, he had the ring already in the house?!  Did you ever ask when he had been planning to ask you?  What was his original proposal plan? 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

WPP - that is such a sweet story. 

Fram - I love you knew avatar.  You look so little next to your DH!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

LOL - I was *totally* going to bring up that SITC episode about the ring!!  Fram - I'm so glad you've come to love it!

I had only been dating DH for 6 months when we, on a whim while visiting Northampton to see a concert, popped into a jewelry store and looked at engagement rings.  I did feel kind of odd because it was so soon, but at the same time he was so great and had so much fun and asked tons of questions about rings, that it was like this confirmation to me that he was "the one".  I had been ring shopping in my previous life with a man I dated for 5 years, and he was so painfully uncomfortable with the experience and made it totally miserable for me that it rather scarred me a bit.  So when I walked into the store with DH, I was on edge, but it was great!  It was like, "wow, so THIS is what it's like when it's RIGHT!"  We didn't pick the ring there, but he got a sense of what I liked, and he also had some thoughts about what he liked.  

He proposed on our 8 month anniversary.  Since I kind of knew that he was ring shopping, it was never going to be a total surprise, but he showed up to my house and said, "I have the ring!"  and I just stared at him like, "I'm not sure how to respond to that" and he reached in his backpack and pulled out... The Ring, the DVD of the movie!  I was like, "haha, very funny", I went over to take it from him and he got down on one knee and pulled the actual ring out of his pocket and proposed.  He thought he was very clever. ;)  The funniest part was, we were going out to dinner and he arrived while I was still getting ready, so my hair was all up in curlers!

I know some people don't believe in shopping together for the engagement ring, but we really enjoyed it.  It was a bonding experience that brought us closer together.  And he ultimately picked out the ring - it was one we had not seen but that he really liked and thought I would like (which I do).

Sorry for the long rant!
    I love all of the stories.  Danielle - I love that he had the ring in the house when you proposed!!  Obviously you were both totally ready!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

I have a confession like Fra's...haha okay, so before FI proposed, a wave of my friends were getting engaged too. It was a very exciting year with so many people getting married and I'd check facebook every other day to see who else was engaged.

FI knew that FB is a way that my friends and I share news across different states, and as I was leaving work that day I got an email from FB: "A--- changed your relationship status from 'in a relationship' to 'engaged.' Before we can allow this change, we need to get your approval." I stared at this email for about 5 minutes, then called over a guy I work with. I pointed at it and said, "From a guy's perspective....what the h3ll is this???"

FI will NEVER KNOW that FB sent me an email! I'm taking this one to the grave. He hates FB and never uses it, but he wanted our news to be on there because he knows that I use it a lot. I think it would hurt his feelings if he knew that I got an email, so the crackerjack story is our official engagement story! People at work will never forget this FB faux pas though. My boss was laughing so hard she was crying. Sigh. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

WPP, so funny!  Are you SURE he doesn't know?  He knew how to go on FB and change your status, after all.  He must know something about how FB works...

I was sure DH didn't know I knew about the empty ring box...until I told him about it and he said he knew all along!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

He proposed on the beautiful lawn of our alma mater--where we met 6 years before.  It was gorgeous and romantic and he caught me by surprise.  The first thing I said was--"are you kidding me?!" :p  And then of course yes!  He got me a gorgeous brilliant cut tiffany solitaire.  It is perfect for me. :)

That is too funny about the FB email whirledpeas!  

...the reason I was so surprised was that we had a big discussion a few nights before about our relationship, and he had been really noncommittal about the timing of a possible engagement (b/c he wanted to surprise me 2 days later).  :p

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shane217. Show Shane217's posts

My boyfriend of 6 years and I were taking a trip to Jamaica for a week to celebrate a few things, mainly our graduation from college, our first vacation ever, and while things had been mentioned in the past about marriage, he had always bristled up and said he didn't want to talk about it. So I never assumed he would propose.

While down in Jamaica, I received word of a new job, signed the lease on a new apartment and received some other good news, so I was celebrating 2 days before the end of the trip at the pool bar, the only time I ended up having a "few too many. " HAHA. Little did I know he had planned a private dinner on the beach that very evening. He ran around and was able to reschedule it for the following evening (our last night) and we had a private butlered dinner set in a tiki-style hut, surrounded by natural gardens, with a view of the sunset over the water. It was all very romantic. At the end of a delicious meal, they asked me to close my eyes for dessert and after a loud PLUNK, I opened my eyes to a full watermelon in front of me with the message "Will you marry me?" carved intricately into the fruit. It was beautiful. My fiance was on his knee, ring box open, and after a nice little speech, he asked me to marry him.

It was perfect proposal and after a long 3 year engagement, we will finally be married next June when he is all done with graduate school.Laughing

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

FI proposed on the last day we were in Aruba...and I wondered how he kept the ring hidden from me for a whole week! I assumed he wouldn't want to keep it in the safe, because you hear all these horror stories of things getting stolen. The poor guy had that thing in his pocket(s) the WHOLE vacation, no matter where we went.

He even bought a bathing suit that had an inclosed zipper thing on the inside to keep personal items, i.e. keys, etc. I was SHOCKED. But...he didn't go in the water more than up to this knees...now I know why....I was shocked nothing happened to that thing, or that I didn't notice the guy all nervous about it!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

[QUOTE]WPP, so funny!  Are you SURE he doesn't know?  He knew how to go on FB and change your status, after all.  He must know something about how FB works... I was sure DH didn't know I knew about the empty ring box...until I told him about it and he said he knew all along!
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

lol, good point, Kar. I have a feeling he doesn't know, but I'm not going to ask to find out!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

[QUOTE]FI proposed on the last day we were in Aruba...and I wondered how he kept the ring hidden from me for a whole week! I assumed he wouldn't want to keep it in the safe, because you hear all these horror stories of things getting stolen. The poor guy had that thing in his pocket(s) the WHOLE vacation, no matter where we went. He even bought a bathing suit that had an inclosed zipper thing on the inside to keep personal items, i.e. keys, etc. I was SHOCKED. But...he didn't go in the water more than up to this knees...now I know why....I was shocked nothing happened to that thing, or that I didn't notice the guy all nervous about it!
    Posted by Sept2010Bride[/QUOTE]

On our way to Mexico, DH had my engagement ring in his carry on bag.  When he put it through the scanner at customs, the security guard stopped the machine, backed it up, and then looked around the side and winked at my DH.

Thanks ladies for not flaming me!!!  I can see how it would be obnoxious for someone to say she didn't like her e-ring, but it is what it is!  I had literally told him I didn't like that cut and I would prefer not to get a solitaire.