How many readings is too many?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Re: How many readings is too many?

I said "explain or justify", and no one has to explain or justify their beliefs. You must admit that you were at least looking for an explanation if not a justification.

I was raised that questioning anyone's religion, even out of curiosity, is rude unless you know the person very well. That's why you don't discuss religion or politics at a dinner party.
    It comes off as "How can you believe that?" even if you don't mean it that way.
    Like seeing someone who you know is on a diet eat ice cream, it would be rude for you to say "How can you be on a diet and eat ice cream?" because it's really none of your business unless they're a close friend. And even then, it's better to just not say anything than to make the person feel uncomfortable.

Someone could tell me they were Catholic and worshipped Satan and I'd just take their word for it. Being raised agnostic while most of my friends were being carted off to CCD and or Torah studies taught me it's better just to leave it alone. Being of little faith myself, it's difficult for me to understand how anyone can believe in something they cannot touch or see, but that's none of my business so I don't ask. They say they believe and it's none of my business how or why.

asking how someone can believe in something is asking them to explain or justify it. you're asking them to make sense of it for you. people are allowed to believe in things that don't make any sense to you, and they don't have to go about explaining it to everyone.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Many, many things people believe don't make any sense to me.

Will Ferrell is funny?  Lady Gaga has talent?  That guy from Twilight is good-looking?  Kiera Knightly isn't too thin?

OK. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Indeed, sometimes curiousity can be construed as rude or too prying.  Religion is a touchy subject, so I can see that.  I'm glad the OP knew I was truly merely curious as to how religions whose defining beliefs, general similarities notwithstanding, can be practiced at the same time without judging her for it.  It was a combination that piqued my interest, and I'm glad she wasn't offended.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I understand Kar. I just know that people who practice or believe in Paganism can sometimes find themselves having to answer everyone's questions, because unlike the big famous religions, most people don't really know much about it. And I know that they must have the patience of a saint (pun intended) to politely answer those questions.
    Sort of like if you have an uncommon medical condition, and once you disclose it people won't stop asking you about it. Sure, it's innocent curiosity, but it can grate on you or make you uncomfortable. That's why people write into Miss Manners and Miss Conduct so often to ask "What can I say when people ask these questions?", because you do feel somehow obligated to answer even though you're not.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

In Response to Re: How many readings is too many?:
    Many, many things people believe don't make any sense to me. Will Ferrell is funny?  Lady Gaga has talent?  That guy from Twilight is good-looking?  Kiera Knightly isn't too thin? OK. 
    Posted by lucy7368

LOL, I'm with you on the last two. The first two I could try to explain, but I'm sure it would hardly justify it for you. ;)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

In Response to Re: How many readings is too many? : LOL, I'm with you on the last two. The first two I could try to explain, but I'm sure it would hardly justify it for you. ;)
    Posted by pinkkittie27

Me too. :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Many, many things people believe don't make any sense to me. Will Ferrell is funny?  Lady Gaga has talent?  That guy from Twilight is good-looking?  Kiera Knightly isn't too thin? OK. 
    Posted by lucy7368

I'm glad these things occur to other people too. I'd also add Adam Sandler to Will Ferrell. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

In Response to Re: How many readings is too many? : I'm glad these things occur to other people too. I'd also add Adam Sandler to Will Ferrell. 
    Posted by WhirledPeasPlease

I'd completely forgotten about Adam Sandler.  Darn you for making me remember!

Here's another one: Remember all the really ugly clothes in the 80s?  Remember how they're still ugly?  Yeah, me too.  But people will shell out $100 to buy an ugly outfit you could get for 50 cents at a thrift store.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

LOL I am mostly with you, but I do think Lady Gaga has talent.  She does annoy me sometimes, like in a recent article I read where she explained that even her family members must call her Gaga.  Wow, get over yourself.  Will Ferrell was funny at some point, but I forget when that was!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

I loved the movie Anchorman, but I think that's the only Will Ferrell move I liked. Like U2 and Coldplay, I can't listen to Adam Sandler for more than 30 seconds without getting homicidal. 

Ugly 80s clothes! Yes! Make the tight neon jeans go away! I also can't wait for that shaggy teen boy hairstyle to die. I see them everywhere, and want to sheer them like I would a sheep. That includes Justin Bieber, who I have yet to hear sing and just found out who he was last week. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

my sole complaint about the resurgence of 80s fashion is that leggings are not pants, yet so many women seem to not know this basic fact.
    I like leggings, I wear leggings, but they're not pants!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Leggings are NOT pants.  They must be worn with something that covers your special area.

Also not pants?  Tights.  I see how leggings could be a little confusing, but tights are clearly not pants, by any stretch of the imagination.  They may not be worn with a t-shirt that barely covers you (and doesn't, when you walk).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I am with you ladies!!  I recently noticed a slightly larger young woman wearing leggings that were so stretched they were basically black nylons.  Not.O.K.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Adding to the list of things that aren't pants: super short shorts that don't cover your hoo hoo or your bum. Crack is whack. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ash. Show ash's posts

What happened to my post?

Here it is again.  I'd like to add to the list.

Why is Kate Gosselin still on tv?  Why does Bethany Frankel have her own show?

My advice to the OP would have been no readings, and I would keep it waaaaay under and hour but I see she has resolved her issue, so never mind.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

People need to learn - spandex is a privilege, not a right.   And - regardless of how thin you are, camel toe can (a) still happen and (b) regardless of how amusing I find it, it is still never a good look.  Put that thing away.

Sections
Shortcuts