I can't keep track anymore!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

Re: I can't keep track anymore!!

I got engaged in January, and when we started talking about dates it became clear that May is what would work best for everyone, but since 5 months to plan a wedding seemed too overwhelming for me (especially because I was 1st of my group of friends to get married and the 1st of the kids on my side of the family to get married, so I knew nada about wedding planning), we decided to do May in the following year.
    Then we didn't give the wedding another thought until March. That's when we booked the venue and I got my dress.

There are so many reasons for an engagement to be longer than a year, and very few of them have anything to do with the actual relationship.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

Just a post-script to my other email: I wasn't at all intimating that anyone here had been judging others... I was just expressing that it irritates me.  Just wanted to clarify!

Pink - your friends and family must have been SO excited to have a wedding to celebrate!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Danielle44. Show Danielle44's posts

I am late to the game on this thread!  I got engaged in March 2009 and I am getting married on 8/30/09!  Two months to go.  It's been really fun planning the wedding, but I've been finding that I don't have that much to do.  Is that weird?  I did a bunch at the beginning, but these days, it seems like all I do is read wedding boards!  ha ha!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

In Response to Re: I can't keep track anymore!!:
    [QUOTE]I am late to the game on this thread!  I got engaged in March 2009 and I am getting married on 8/30/09!  Two months to go.  It's been really fun planning the wedding, but I've been finding that I don't have that much to do.  Is that weird?  I did a bunch at the beginning, but these days, it seems like all I do is read wedding boards!  ha ha!
    Posted by Danielle44[/QUOTE]
    I know what you mean; I feel like everything is done (27 days to go!) too. Maybe that's because I crossed off most things on the knot checklist because I didn't plan on doing them, lol. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

[QUOTE]I get extremely irritated when people judge other people's planning choices.  Just because you're engaged does not mean you need to a) immediately pick a date, and b) get married within a year, and c) be polite when rude people ask "why haven't you..." whatever. It never occurred to me until I got engaged that it is IMPOSSIBLE to pick a date until you have some vendors/venue lined up!  So a month after our engagement, even though we were spending every weekend visiting venues, researching, etc, we still didn't have a date.  I didn't mind at all if people asked if I had a date, it's only when the judgement crept into their question that it bugged me. We only had an 7+ month engagement, so worked rather quickly, but I would never assume that a long engagement means there is trouble in the relationship (as is often hinted at).  I'm 35 and didn't want to wait, now that I had found "the one", so that drove me.  If I had become engaged while in grad school (I almost wrote "grade school" - haha!), however I would have had a much longer engagement. 
    Posted by heatherv1211[/QUOTE]

You are right Heather, the venue picked the date for US not the other way around.  We were planning more than a year out and only had one summer date to pick from.  Oh you only have July 11th? Ok I guess that is when we are getting married!   Same thing with the band..slim pickins!   

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I can't keep track anymore!! : You are right Heather, the venue picked the date for US not the other way around.  We were planning more than a year out and only had one summer date to pick from.  Oh you only have July 11th? Ok I guess that is when we are getting married!   Same thing with the band..slim pickins!   
    Posted by ajuly09[/QUOTE]

I wonder if there are on and off seasons in areas of the country where the Fall and Winters are nice weather, too, or if the Summer wedding idea is universal? 

(Just a random thought while I wait and watch intently for the little signs the pup needs to go out to pee.  She's just learning, and so am I...)

We had a lot of dates to choose from in November.  I'm glad it was a nice, relatively warm day, though - it just as easily could have snowed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from katel. Show katel's posts

Hey Kar,
    I know in Louisiana, there are lots of October weddings, as the weather is usually perfect then! It's too hot to have anything outside from May-early October, really (and it's hurricane season!), but after that there are lots of outdoor celebrations! Of course, specific to NOLA, spring is a great time, but you have to contend with every other year Mardi Gras being later in March rather than in February...but on the off years, March and April are good wedding months, too. Of course, if you're doing everything inside, it doesn't really matter!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

I really wanted to get in married in April, but the FI didn't at all :( The weather can be bad here that month...so he didn't want to take that chance. Then again, it can be beautiful!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

They were! :)

[QUOTE] Pink - your friends and family must have been SO excited to have a wedding to celebrate!
    Posted by heatherv1211[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I can't keep track anymore!! : You are right Heather, the venue picked the date for US not the other way around.  We were planning more than a year out and only had one summer date to pick from.  Oh you only have July 11th? Ok I guess that is when we are getting married!   Same thing with the band..slim pickins!   
    Posted by ajuly09[/QUOTE]

Yeah, we got engaged August 27 and found a venue we liked in the first week of Sept. We were aiming for the following August, but they were totally booked already! They had the last Friday in July and we were like, yup sounds good.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reader001. Show Reader001's posts

August 1. 26 days. Surprised

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

I'm in a wedding on August 1st :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jleighla. Show jleighla's posts

July 26, 2009!

We got engaged in early November 2008, and soon after booked some vendors (venue, JP, photographer) for a December 27, 2009 wedding. My fiance was deployed with the Navy in January and when we found out he would be back in early July (got back yesterday!), we switched the wedding to late July. Amazingly enough, all our vendors were on board for the date switch so we didn't lose our deposits.

I'm SO GLAD we don't have to worry about snow... instead, we're worried about sweating. ah well!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from somethingold. Show somethingold's posts

Married Aug 3 2008 (coming onto our first anniversary)
    Engaged without a date in mind for 2.75 years before that....just didn't have any real impetus to set a date.  Then when we did (due to family illness) we put it together in a little over 3 weeks...it can all be done.

Sections
Shortcuts