Invitation problem - need advice!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Invitation problem - need advice!

Ok, so I'm taking responsibility for a big part of this problem. I had no clue how expensive invitations were so when we started ordering samples in our price range, I hated everything and as a result, they were ordered a little late because it took so long to find some I liked. Basically when we ordered, there was no room for error because of the timing. We received them last night and need to mail within 2.5 - 3 weeks. I guess we could send in 4 weeks but that would probably be the latest since we didn't send save the dates.
    The problem is with the printing. It's flat printing and the last word and a half on each line is significantly darker than the rest of the invitation, like it was printed in bold font. Same thing on the response cards. FI and I both looked at them and I wasn't going to say anything because I figured he'd call me crazy...but he actually mentioned it. He went through every single one last night and said about 5 were usable and the remaining were either bad or horrible, mostly horrible. I have no idea why someone would send this and consider it acceptable! We scanned them in to look at them more closely and it appears like that part was actually double printed or the paper got a little stuck in the printer.
    I am waiting to hear back from the company, but what should I do if there is not enough time to reprint them? Or if they want to charge me to reprint when it's clearly their fault? Also, given this problem should I even trust that they will get it right the second time - because if it's an equipment problem, it could definitely happen again.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Re: Invitation problem - need advice!

It sounds like it is their fault and they should want to correct the situation as quickly as they can.  Maybe ask to speak to a supervisor and scan the one of the few that is correct and show them the difference.  Any reputable company will want their service to be outstanding as a lot of business in through word of mouth. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

-you SHOULD request reprinting.  Be clear about what you are unhappy about, and the fact that the poor printing was not on the sample you received.  The printer should reprint for you ASAP and ship it to you in an expedited manner if necessary.  They should be able to get you new invitations within 2 weeks.  Be upfront about your timeline
    -if they want to charge you for the reprint, you say NO, and demand a refund for the original purchase
    -if they do not refund, dispute the charge with your credit card company.  And order invitations through another avenue as soon as possible.

...if you are having issues with the invitation company I recommended, I'm sorry!  I feel badly.  We didn't have any trouble with the printing.  I felt that the quality of the paper products we ordered from her was excellent for the price, and her work on our menus & programs was carefully done.  They were not equivalent to the heavy weight 3-layer thermography invitations we ordered from Checkerboard via Papyrus, but we were very satisfied with our order.  So I'm sorry if her quality has slipped and you bore the brunt of it. 

Also, I think the threat of negative feedback is a big deal for etsy vendors (because it will deter future customers), so I would imagine that she has strong incentives to make this right

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Cicirose,
    Why are you taking the blame? The printing company should never have sent these out. They should have redone them right there and then, even if it would be a few days extra. Someone there really scr*wed up.
    Printing should not take more than a day. It is the setting up that takes time. Since they already have your setup, they should be able to print and OVERNIGHT them (demand that) to you, so you can start addressing the envelopes.
    Call and ask to talk to someone in charge, tell him/her your invitations are not usable. Ask them to reprint them and overnight them to you.
    Another solution might be - and of course I don't know, how bad they look - but if it is just the last word - could you actually use them? If you think you could, then call (usually writing is better - but you are running out of time) your CC company and tell them these were unacceptable and to give you credit for whatever amount you charged.  You could get your invites for free. I know from experience, that Amex is very good about this. You could then send a letter with a messed up invitation enclosed to emphasize your point, and I am sure you will get the credit, you deserve.
    I know every bride/groom want their invitations to look just perfect, but personally I wouldn't care if an invitation I received looked a little odd.
    You are not the on at fault. Good luck!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

If they try to charge you to reprint them when it was clearly their fault, pay under protest (actually put "under protest" on the check), save at least one of the bad invitations, wait until you get your new invitations, and sue them for breach of contract.

It's important to preserve your rights, but you also want to make sure you have invitations for your wedding.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

As a last resort, we used Wedding Paper Divas for our invitations and we got them within days.  Our digital proof took two days and they were shipped the same day we approved our order.  We weren't in a rush at the time so we didn't pay for expedited shipping but I know they offer it.  Hopefully you can get your original invitations re-printed but it's always good to have a back up plan.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

how awful! I how everything works out, cici!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Cici:  that totally s_cks!  You must be so stressed out!  I'm so sorry!

I don't have much advice that others didn't already say.  Just remember:  this is NOT your fault at all!  You had enough time assuming she made them correctly.  Don't feel bad about standing up for yourself and demanding either an extremely fast correction or a refund. 

Best of luck!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

If she sends you the new prints, can you unstick the old prints and put the new ones in their place? Could she make the new ones a little smaller and in a different color so the old ones look like a mat around the new one?

How long would it take her to print you a new set? I hope she *at least* owned up to her mistake!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

They can and should rush a reprinted job to you right away.  I would SO call them back and tell them to put that job first.  If that fails and you have to send what you have, that totally stinks, but the fact is that probably, like your coworker, no one will really notice.  What people focus on is who, what, where...except you, of course. :)

Good luck!

~kar

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

I would call them back and tell them, very clearly and without emotion:
    1) They messed up the order
    2) The order is not acceptable.  Their proposed solution is not acceptable.
    3) You did not mess up the order
    4) You paid them to do the job professionally and accurately and to have it in time for you to mail them out for your wedding
    5) They did not provide the service for which you paid, and
    6) If they do not put your order at the head of the line, rush it, and ensure you receive it by next week, you will sue them.

Be sure to be clear that, if you have to go somewhere else for a rush invitation order, you will sue them for whatever you have to spend.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Oh, and if it is less than $2,000, you can sue in small claims court.  You can then go on The People's Court, which would make you my personal hero.  Cool

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

I agree with Friar--you should talk seriously about putting a new layer on with better printing. 

Incidentally, we ended up doing this with a guestbook we ordered on etsy (not from this invitation vendor).  The name plate adhered to the cover of the guestbook looked pixellated.  We were able to very carefully remove one layer of the paper, and re-adhere a new name plate.  You really couldn't tell the difference.  If that hadn't worked, we would have layerd the new name plate on top of the old one.  I think that would've worked too, but my husband wasn't convinced.  (My husband was super picky about the look, feel, symmetry, and quallity of our paper products--go figure...)

Is there anyway you can see how it will come out after the extra layer is added?  I feel like she should overnight or 2-day ship you one invitation that has been prepared with this technique, so that you can decide whether it is OK with you.  At least, I would have an in-depth conversation with her about how you are concerned about the extra layer looking strange, and see how she feels about it.

I found her responsive.  Our one concern came up after we received a sample of our menu card, and the twisted ribbon that was threaded through the top of the page wasn't lying flat against the paper.  She listen to our concern and ended up ironing/pressing each menu card by hand before shipping us the complete order.  I'm mentioning this anecdote to say that I would expect her to be responsive to constructive criticism

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

lucy's list is essentially what I would have said in the call back, as well, by the way, although, I'd stop at saying you'll sue unless you are actually prepared to do so.  I personally wouldn't want to bother with litigation unless I'd spent $1000s and had it come out less than perfect.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Well, small claims is easy - it costs about $25 to file and you don't need a lawyer.  You just fill out a form you can get online.  Besides, the threat of suit is often pretty effective, if you have a real claim. 

It is not effective, for example, when I worked in customer service, and people would threaten to sue the bank for "allowing" them to overdraw their accounts if I didn't reimburse the overdraft fees.  But, here, they have a contract, and the vendor didn't provide what she promised.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

If the print is too close to the edge, you can always go to AC Moore yourself and buy coordinating cardstock and cut it down to make a mat yourself that's the same size as your invitation and then stick the new invitations on top of them and then it looks intentional. All you need for a mat is 1/8" to 1/4" on each side and I would be surprised if the printing ran all the way to the edge. Usually printers like to leave at least a 1/8" margin for bleed.

Can you post a picture? I'm sure there are lots of creative people on this board who can figure out what to do. (Of course, your printer should know what to do, but that's besides the point. If she's being unreasonable, then you probably just need to move on in the interest of time.)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Very pretty!  If you can go with it and it's not bad, do what you can to pressure them to reprint them and, if that fails, just send what you have and don't worry about it.  You're underbudget and it sounds like they are OK if not perfect.  Things could be worse!  Not to minimize the trauma of not having them just the way you'd hope, but you know what I mean.  They could have put the wrong date, for instance, and THAT would be a total disaster.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

cici, the printing company know you are in a bind, so they are trying to just fiddle you along their ways. It may work for them most of the time. But please don't let them.  I would not at all go for a discount - I would go for a total refund, if they cannot redo them and mail them overnight to you.
    You paid for something, you did not get. I own a business, and if we scr*w up, we will stay up all night, pay overtime to our employees and get the job done correctly. That is the way honrable businesses run. So we may loose money on a particular job, but our name is saved. And again, I am truly wondering, how in the world, they could send out invitations looking like that. Sounds like someone fell asleep down the line, but that is not acceptable.
    I am glad you charged them on your CC. Get your CC company involved. They will support you. Send them one of your bad invitations, and I am sure, they will stand up for you. The best way to do that is to WRITE to the customer service department. Their addy is on the back of your statement. Enclose a copy of all your documents. It may take a months or so, but you WILL hear from them.
    Even if you have to send out the "bad looking" invites, it is really not the end of the world and it will probably something you will just laugh at years from now. It will definitely NOT ruin your wedding day.
    Best to you - Pingo

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

YAY!  Crisis averted.  Hang on, though, keep your seatbelt fastened 'til you're on the plane to your honeymoon...well, maybe 'til you get off the plane. LOL

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimFairview. Show SlimFairview's posts

Show the cards to the company's competitors.
    Find out if the competitors can help.
    Ask for a refund!
    Go to the competitor.  The company you did business with does not appear to be reliable enough to help out.
    Good luck to you both.
    ps. any problems, email the company the blog.  (This stiff cam go viral.  The marketing guru Alf Nucifora once talked about "yours is a bad hotel."  A Powerpoint Programme designed to alert the management of a hotel about a serious problem with their reservation system.)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

What a great compromise! I'm glad that is going to work out for you!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

that's just wonderful! I'm glad it all worked out in the end and you didn't have to settle.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Such an exciting time!!  Enjoy!