Kar...Migraines..

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Kar...Migraines..

Hi Kar, I searched for the migraine post and read that you suggested Coke and dramamine. I started to get a migraine last night around 12:30 and woke up with probably one of the worst ones I have had in a long time. It is starting to get better, my doctor called Walgreens and prescribed me a 6-day anti-inflammatory treatment, which is helping.

I am flying to FL tomorrow, do you suggest taking dramamine before the flight to ensure I don't get one? I can't even imagine having a migraine on a plane.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Kar...Migraines..

In Response to Kar...Migraines..:
    [QUOTE]Hi Kar, I searched for the migraine post and read that you suggested Coke and dramamine. I started to get a migraine last night around 12:30 and woke up with probably one of the worst ones I have had in a long time. It is starting to get better, my doctor called Walgreens and prescribed me a 6-day anti-inflammatory treatment, which is helping. I am flying to FL tomorrow, do you suggest taking dramamine before the flight to ensure I don't get one? I can't even imagine having a migraine on a plane.
    Posted by lizinboston[/QUOTE]

Liz, I'm so sorry - just logged on today after my in-laws were here all weekend.

Oh, please DO take that Dramamine before you fly, about 30 - 45 minutes beforehand so it will be in your system doing its thing AS you take off, which can be bumpy and cause motion sickness/migrain.  Drink lots of water on the flight, too, to avoid a dehydration headache.  If the trip (with layoverse) is over 8 hours, you might consider taking another 1/2 pill about 30 minutes before you land on the second flight.  Let's hope you don't have to switch planes.

Hope you are feeling better, Hon.  Try to get that Dram and coke in you the moment you feel a migraine coming on.  It can prevent it and often does for me.

Blessings!

~kar

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Liz, I guess I was too late to help.  I hope you took one anyway and that you had a nice, easy flight and great trip!  Let me know when you can - I feel really bad for missing your question...

~kar

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

No, Kar...haven't left yet.

My migraine has subsided, thank God. Thank you so much for you advice. I looked up on the internet the medicine I am taking and it said I shouldn't take dramamine with it because dramamine is an antihistamine and the medicine I am on right now is a stimulant, and they shouldn't mix. Anyway, I really appreciate your advice!

I also think that the pressure of the weather changes up here in NE might be causing these headaches, so hopefully being down in FL for the week will help!

Have a fantastic week, stay warm, it's supposed to be a cool one :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Glad you looked it up!!  If I had the choice, I'd take the Dram before the flight instead of the anti-inflamatory and resume the prescription the next day.  Just me, though - I'm no doctor!  But, if you've already take the other today, of course, it's too late.  Think about it for the way back, anyway. 

Easy on the alcohol out there.  I'm betting it's also contraindicated with the meds you're on, and it causes dehydration.  A double-whammy for another migraine.

Have a great time!!!  Looking forward to your report of a wonderful, warm, relaxing vacation. :)

~kar

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

Liz- if it is truly a migraine I would be careful with the coke or anything with caffeine really.  Apparently it works well for Kar but it would kill me when I have one.  Caffeine is a trigger for me and I need to keep my level pretty constant as I am addicted to caffeine, the withdrawl with trigger a migraine if I have less than I am used to and if I have too much again it will trigger a migraine.

Also if you are looking for an anti motion sickness medicine you should see if "Bonine" would work for you it is an alternative to Dramamine and can be found OTC and if it is an alternative to Dramamine who knows maybe it won't react with your meds.  I think it would be worth the effort to look it up.  My MIL likes it and now my DH has used it a few times because it also helps with vertigo as well.  And if you are uncomfortable just looking it up ask any pharmacist they will be able to tell you.  According to my sister (a pharmacist) that is the part of the day she enjoys the most is being able to talk to people.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yes, everyone has to be very careful with medical advice they get from a message board!

The caffeine, an ingredient in Excedrin Migraine, works by slightly elevating blood pressure by restricting blood vessels.  Migraines occur regardless of the cause by a drop in brain blood pressure so caffeine often helps and is why it's in that Excedrin formulation.

However, as Wendy points out, caffeine is addictive.  And, if someone is used to a certain amount, using it medicinally might not have the same effect as it would on someone who isn't already addicted to caffeine.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

Liz, I suffer from horrific migraines. Stay away from caffeine. It will temporarily ease the migraine, however, when the caffeine wears off, you will have a 'caffeine withdrawal headache or migraine'. to avoid those all together, stay off any and all caffeine.  Also, avoid artificial sugars such as aspartame, splenda, etc. They are huge migraine causers. Do not have any diet drinks or diet deserts because they all contain these fake sugars. Excedrin migraine is one of the worst things you can take. If you have true migraines, and you take excedrin you will end up in a viscious cycle of migraine, temporary relief due to excedrin, then caffeine withdrawal migraine, more excedrin to relieve it, etc etc. If you just get occasional headaches, feel free to use it. But not for real migraines. Do not take any foods / prescriptions/ drinks with caffeine in them. Pizza and crackers are big causes for me too. As well as weather changes.

Talk to your doctor about a prescription. I take Zomig and it gets rid of my migraines every time. I can't go anywhere without it. Used to use maxalt which worked awesome, but my new insurance doesnt cover it. Relpax and immitrex are others, but they didnt work for me. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm quite sure from personal experience and medical knowledge that you'll only get a withdrawal headache from caffeine if you are addicted to it, not if you use it medicinally once in awhile.  It's a very real concern for those who have caffeine every day, and Missy is 100% correct that migraine sufferers shouldn't be addicted to it, i.e. having any every day.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

Some of us migraine sufferers kar actually get the migraines almost every day =(  That's the reason I suggested using excedrin if you get headaches once in awhile. but not for severe migraines because in the end, it will make them worse. 

Excedrin migraine actually doesn't even work for me so I don't even bother with it. 

If anyone gets migraines and wants to compare notes, please do! It's so hard to find a good doctor to try to find the cause of the migraines and not just write you a script for say an anti seizure med as a preventive, or want to do botox, etc. I have been to reg docs and neurologists and no one ever wants to spend the time figuring them out. So, I do the best I can on my own but love talking to others who suffer from them to!! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

my friend had chronic migraines. She ended up pursuing yoga and accupuncture for them. No perscription drugs ever worked for her. She still gets them occasionally, but they're less severe and easier to manage.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from deniece881. Show deniece881's posts

My FI gave me a book, the Migraine Brain, that was pretty interesting.  A good balance of medical/practical and tips on how to talk to drs. and other people about them.  I've learned there is a very long list of foods that I have to avoid and things that I shouldn't do, and when I slip up (or can't resist - it's a long list) I have preventatives (Topamax) and abortives (Maxalt) that make life a LOT better.  Even though I felt like I was walking around drunk for a good long time when I started on the Topamax, that wore off and I wouldn't trade now for all those years I tried to treat my 9x/month migraines with Excedrin (or my preferred Advil and caffeine).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

Topamax is the preventive a neurologist tried to put me on. He spent all of 3 mins with me in his office and said 'here take this' didnt even ask me any questions. Says 'its an antiseizure medication but taken in low doses it may help prevent them' i said no thank you and left. Maxalt is wonderful though! Works so quickly. I wish my current insurance covered it. Zomig is now my wonder drug, but the maxalt was better..

Now that you are on topamax deniece, how often do you get the migraines? I get them almost every day....I am filling my zomig script so often all the pharmacists know me now...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

In Response to Re: Kar...Migraines..:
    [QUOTE]Topamax is the preventive a neurologist tried to put me on. He spent all of 3 mins with me in his office and said 'here take this' didnt even ask me any questions. Says 'its an antiseizure medication but taken in low doses it may help prevent them' i said no thank you and left. Maxalt is wonderful though! Works so quickly. I wish my current insurance covered it. Zomig is now my wonder drug, but the maxalt was better.. Now that you are on topamax deniece, how often do you get the migraines? I get them almost every day....I am filling my zomig script so often all the pharmacists know me now...
    Posted by Missy509[/QUOTE]
    Have you tried beta blockers Missy?  I take one as a preventavitve and Imitrex works very well when I do get a migraine.  I am very lucky and only get one every couple of months, typically with Aunti Flo as if that wasn't enough to deal with!  I just hate taking the bb every day.  And when we end up TTC my doc highly recommends that I get off it and not use the Imitrex as they are both class C, and there are a lot of unknowns.  The up side is that migraines generally stop during pregnancy, so I am hoping for that when the time comes.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from deniece881. Show deniece881's posts

I'm down from 9+ a month to 5ish, but they are also a LOT milder.  They mostly would happen while I was sleeping so by the time I woke up they were pretty bad and I'd end up missing at least some work most months waiting for Imitrex (which I used to take) to kick in.  Now I can get up and go to work and once I get there I can take the Maxalt (it makes me sleepy, so I don't drive after taking it if I can help it), so I don't miss work.  I function a lot better than I used to.  I'd say I like the milder aspect even better than the reduction.  It would be nice if migraines were understood better, or if the drs understood why the medications that work, work, but treatment seems to be mostly trial and error.  I spent a year and a half trying to find a preventative, and only managed to gain a ton of weight and collect a miserable assortment of side effects before I gave up and swore I'd never do that again.  The Topamax happened to work really well for me and was suggested at a time when I was willing to try again, and the tradeoffs have been worth it.  I have trouble drinking soda, it tastes horrible most of the time.  I can live with that.  Most everything else went away.  It took a few weeks.  I felt drunk for a while, and profoundly stupid.  Now I'm fine.  The dose is a lot less than they use for seisures, and I take the higest my dr will proscribe, so it won't interfere with BC.  Sorry for the mini rant, I was just anit-preventative for so long, and it's made a huge difference in my life.  I also took forever to get myself to a dr and get diagnosed and suffered needlessly when there are better tools than the OTCs that I was trying to treat myself with.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: Kar...Migraines..:
    [QUOTE]Some of us migraine sufferers kar actually get the migraines almost every day =(  That's the reason I suggested using excedrin if you get headaches once in awhile. but not for severe migraines because in the end, it will make them worse.  Excedrin migraine actually doesn't even work for me so I don't even bother with it.  If anyone gets migraines and wants to compare notes, please do! It's so hard to find a good doctor to try to find the cause of the migraines and not just write you a script for say an anti seizure med as a preventive, or want to do botox, etc. I have been to reg docs and neurologists and no one ever wants to spend the time figuring them out. So, I do the best I can on my own but love talking to others who suffer from them to!! 
    Posted by Missy509[/QUOTE]

Every day?!  I get so sick from them that I'm completely incapacitated on the floor unable to speak and needing someone to hold me over a trash can to vomit.  If that happened every day I'd rather die.

P.S.  By the way, I have a friend who takes Topamax and swears by it.  She's so much better.  She used to have 10 - 12 migraines a year, but I don't remember the last one...quite a while.