Legal details

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Danielle44. Show Danielle44's posts

Legal details

Hi everyone,
    I've been reading these boards for a while but this is my first post.  I've found it so helpful, but I do have a question that I'm hoping I can get specific advice on.
    I'm from Mass, but I live in Los Angeles.  I'll be getting married in Cambridge this summer.  We plan to arrive in town on Friday morning and get married on Sunday afternoon.  I just realized that when you apply for your marriage license there is a 3 day waiting period before you can get married.  I'm a little hazy on the details, but is there something that is signed on the day of the wedding?  I assume it's the bride, groom, and officiant. 
    So, would Sunday be too early to get married if we put in the application on Friday?  If so, can we have our ceremony on Sunday and then just have the three of us sign the document on Monday (the officiant will be my cousin)?  She will be officiant for the day.  Maybe we just make her officiant for Monday and the Sunday event will just be for show?
    Does anyone know the rules on this?
    Thanks so much!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Re: Legal details

I think the officiant signs the marriage document right after the ceremony along with you, your husband and witnesses...I could be wrong though. I just got engaged in March, so don't trust me!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]Hi everyone, I've been reading these boards for a while but this is my first post.  I've found it so helpful, but I do have a question that I'm hoping I can get specific advice on. I'm from Mass, but I live in Los Angeles.  I'll be getting married in Cambridge this summer.  We plan to arrive in town on Friday morning and get married on Sunday afternoon.  I just realized that when you apply for your marriage license there is a 3 day waiting period before you can get married.  I'm a little hazy on the details, but is there something that is signed on the day of the wedding?  I assume it's the bride, groom, and officiant.  So, would Sunday be too early to get married if we put in the application on Friday?  If so, can we have our ceremony on Sunday and then just have the three of us sign the document on Monday (the officiant will be my cousin)?  She will be officiant for the day.  Maybe we just make her officiant for Monday and the Sunday event will just be for show? Does anyone know the rules on this? Thanks so much!
    Posted by Danielle44[/QUOTE]

When you apply for a marriage license they enforce the three day wait by not giving it to you when you apply for it, and you need it in hand the day of the wedding. Since the Town Clerk's Office generally isn't open on Sundays (ever?) you may have a problem. You must get a court order to waive the 3 day wait.  Call whatever Town Clerk you plan to apply for the license with right away (it can be in any town in Mass, but they cost different amounts). 

As far as what needs to be done the day of the wedding, though, I can't remember signing anything. I hope our marriage is filed legally!!!  I better call myself and find out.

This info is all somewhere on www.mass.gov, but good luck finding it.  I'd suggest, again, calling the Town Clerk in the town you are going to apply for the license; they'll know what you need to do.

P.S.  You know you have to go together to apply for the license, right?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Ok I am wrong then....like I said do not quote anything I say!! Doesn't the person who officiates the wedding have to sign the license??

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

I found this link on Mass.gov that might help you...

http://marriage.about.com/cs/marriagelicenses/p/massachusetts.htm

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

I got married in church I didn't sign my license the day of the wedding. It was just the officiant, so don't worry kar-we're legally married Wink. Also, a license is good for 3 months. Is there any chance you'll be in MA during the time before your wedding so you can apply ahead of time?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]I got married in church I didn't sign my license the day of the wedding. It was just the officiant, so don't worry kar-we're legally married . Also, a license is good for 3 months. Is there any chance you'll be in MA during the time before your wedding so you can apply ahead of time?
    Posted by NorthernLghts[/QUOTE]

Phew, thanks!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

You will not have a license to get married on a Sunday if you apply on a Friday.  If you want to make sure that everything is ready, apply AT LEAST a week in advance for the license. Someone pointed out that the license is good for 90 days.  Make sure that during the 90 days before your wedding BOTH you and your FI come to MA and apply for the license.  Then you can pick it up when you come back to MA before your wedding [check the hours of town hall b/c many places have short hours on Fridays].  There is no easy way around this requirement [the provision that a judge can grant you a license is in the rules, but good luck getting one to issue you one].  You are going to have to s*uck it up and make a special  trip to MA before the wedding to apply for the license and another trip to come back to pick it up before the wedding. 

BTW, you can go to ANY town hall in MA to apply for the license. You do not need to get the license from the town hall in the town in which you are being married. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]You will not have a license to get married on a Sunday if you apply on a Friday.  If you want to make sure that everything is ready, apply AT LEAST a week in advance for the license. Someone pointed out that the license is good for 90 days.  Make sure that during the 90 days before your wedding BOTH you and your FI come to MA and apply for the license.  Then you can pick it up when you come back to MA before your wedding [check the hours of town hall b/c many places have short hours on Fridays].  There is no easy way around this requirement [the provision that a judge can grant you a license is in the rules, but good luck getting one to issue you one].  You are going to have to s*uck it up and make a special  trip to MA before the wedding to apply for the license and another trip to come back to pick it up before the wedding.  BTW, you can go to ANY town hall in MA to apply for the license. You do not need to get the license from the town hall in the town in which you are being married. 
    Posted by ALF72[/QUOTE]

Research how much each town charges. It's $50 in Boston and $15 in Framingham, for instance. No sense paying more than you have to.  As for everything ALF said, yup, again, it's all true.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Danielle44. Show Danielle44's posts

Thanks for all your input.  This is going to be a tough one.  I guess I'll have to call one of the town halls to find out for sure what to do.  I know that we would be best served by going there ahead of time, but I really want to avoid it if I can.  Oy.

I'm still wondering whether we can just pick up the license on Monday after the wedding and have our officiant sign it then. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Our church required us to give them the license at the time of the rehearsal [Friday PM for a Sat wedding].  In their paperwork that outlined all the marriage requirements, it specifically said [in bold and in all caps] that if you do not have the license at the time of the rrehearsal or at least 24 hours in advance of the ceremony that they will NOT marry you "no matter the inconvenience, cost or embarassment" [I specifically remember those words].  So, do not wait till the last minute to get the license. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]Thanks for all your input.  This is going to be a tough one.  I guess I'll have to call one of the town halls to find out for sure what to do.  I know that we would be best served by going there ahead of time, but I really want to avoid it if I can.  Oy. I'm still wondering whether we can just pick up the license on Monday after the wedding and have our officiant sign it then. 

I feel for your situation, but you cannot pick it up Monday if you are getting married Sunday.  It has to be signed that day.

It may not be a matter of "best served," but only served by going ahead before Friday.  What a pain, huh?!  Wish we had better news.  Frown

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Danielle, both Alf and Kar have some very valid points. A license before the officiant will marry you is a must. The town clerk will do some background checks. F. ex  to make sure you are not married to someone else. The license is a legal piece of paper allowing the officiant to marry you. Thus no picking it up afterwards.
    Alf also pointed out that many townhalls close early on Fridays, which is true. Even if you decide to fly in Thursday evening - I would not cut it so close. Mistakes does happen - and there may be no time to correct it Friday morning. Best of luck!

[QUOTE]Thanks for all your input.  This is going to be a tough one.  I guess I'll have to call one of the town halls to find out for sure what to do.  I know that we would be best served by going there ahead of time, but I really want to avoid it if I can.  Oy. I'm still wondering whether we can just pick up the license on Monday after the wedding and have our officiant sign it then. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[QUOTE]I'm still wondering whether we can just pick up the license on Monday after the wedding and have our officiant sign it then. 

Only if you'd like to wait three days, then have the officiant marry you again.  (You'd have to get a new officiant, however, because your officiant is only the officiant for one day.)  If you do that, you won't be legally married, and it could cause a lot of problems if, for example, you start filing joint tax returns. 

You have to have the license, in hand, before the ceremony.   Because of the three-day waiting period, and because town halls aren't open on the weekends, that means you should be in Boston, with your FI, to apply for the license together, no later than the Monday before the wedding.  I agree with the others who said that the best thing to do may be to come to Boston with your FI for a day or two within 90 days prior to the ceremony, just to ensure that you have the license in time.

BTW, because you do only have the officiant for a day, all other issues aside, if she signs the license on a different day, she wouldn't be legally authorized to do so.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

You should also be aware that both you and your FI may be required to show a certified copy of your birth certificate when you go in.  Make sure now that you have one available so you have time to get a replacement, if necessary.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Danielle44. Show Danielle44's posts

Ok.  I'm pretty convinced that we will have to come back to MA sooner in order to get married in Cambridge.  I guess our other option would be to just do the official marrying in California before we leave, but still have the ceremony and reception for show in MA....though something about that feels dishonest to me.  We have a lot to think about.  Thanks again for all the information.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, Lucy's post reminded me of another possible snafu that you'd have to experience (we did) to believe, but hopefully, everyone will take my word for it. 

DH (fiance at the time, of course) brought his original seal embossed birth certificate that the hospital issued at his birth.  This did NOT count.  A certified one is one you get from the town.

Sorry we were all such downers, but you'd have been in a world of trouble if we hadn't!  :)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[QUOTE]Ok.  I'm pretty convinced that we will have to come back to MA sooner in order to get married in Cambridge.  I guess our other option would be to just do the official marrying in California before we leave, but still have the ceremony and reception for show in MA....though something about that feels dishonest to me.  We have a lot to think about.  Thanks again for all the information.

That's not a bad idea.  I had friends who went to City Hall a few days before the big ceremony just to take some of the stress off.  She said she doesn't even remember the day they actually got married, because their anniversary is the day of the ceremony.  I don't think it's dishonest.

Also, Marshall and Lily (sorta) did that on How I Met Your Mother.  If it's good enough for Alyson Hannigan...  ;)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Danielle, I think this is a great idea and your best option. I know this is done and a must in some European countries. It is not being dishonest, just practical.
    Somehow you found the best solution to your dilemma yourself. Go for it and best wishes.

[QUOTE]Ok.  I'm pretty convinced that we will have to come back to MA sooner in order to get married in Cambridge.  I guess our other option would be to just do the official marrying in California before we leave, but still have the ceremony and reception for show in MA....though something about that feels dishonest to me.  We have a lot to think about.  Thanks again for all the information.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Danielle44. Show Danielle44's posts

I do love Alyson Hanigan!  ...and Jason Segel is my brother-in-law's second cousin - you'd think that with that kind of connection I would've been offered a guest appearance on HIMYM by now!  harumph! 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I didn't need anything but a license, so you may want to call the town hall before you go to see if you need a birth certificate. It may have helped that I grew up in a really small town and the town clerk actually grew up down the street from me.  lol.  I remember when her horse got loose and was grazing in our backyard.  I thought my parents had gotten me a pony and was so disappointed when they called the parents of the girl to come and collect the horse.  So, I think I might have needed less proof of identity than some people.  lol. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]I didn't need anything but a license, so you may want to call the town hall before you go to see if you need a birth certificate. It may have helped that I grew up in a really small town and the town clerk actually grew up down the street from me.  lol.  I remember when her horse got loose and was grazing in our backyard.  I thought my parents had gotten me a pony and was so disappointed when they called the parents of the girl to come and collect the horse.  So, I think I might have needed less proof of identity than some people.  lol. 
    Posted by ALF72[/QUOTE]

ALF, I don't know whether to laugh or cry at your "pony" story!  LaughingCry

Seriously, though, if they do (and I think most do) require it, make sure it's a true "certified copy"!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Yeah, I never did get a live pony, but I did have an extensive collection of model horses.  I think they are still boxed up somewhere in my parents' cellar along w/ the entire Trixie Belden and Nancy Drew series of books.  She learned not to throw anything away after I had a meltdown [at the age of 30] after she discarded my stuffed Scooby Doo.  I loved that dog!  My mom had to stand in the viewing window at the pool while I was having lessons when I was 4 and hold Scooby in the window b/c I'd miss him.  lol. I was a piece of work.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah, I never did get a live pony, but I did have an extensive collection of model horses.  I think they are still boxed up somewhere in my parents' cellar along w/ the entire Trixie Belden and Nancy Drew series of books.  She learned not to throw anything away after I had a meltdown [at the age of 30] after she discarded my stuffed Scooby Doo.  I loved that dog!  My mom had to stand in the viewing window at the pool while I was having lessons when I was 4 and hold Scooby in the window b/c I'd miss him.  lol. I was a piece of work.
    Posted by ALF72[/QUOTE]

LOL!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scorpio75. Show Scorpio75's posts

[QUOTE]ALF, I don't know whether to laugh or cry at your "pony" story!  Seriously, though, if they do (and I think most do) require it, make sure it's a true " certified copy"!!
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]
    My town hall just required proof of identity (basically a driver's license) but they did need to know where you were born which was easy for me since I was born in a small town out of state and our town had the hospital.  From my DH this was a bit more difficult, he had not clue because he could have been delivered in any number of local hospitals. 

So as we were in the clerks office he called his Mom to figure it all out, and it turns out the hospital he was born in was the same as the town that they lived in but his sister was born in a different hospital in a different town.  The real story is they need to know weird stuff.