Lipstick/Gloss/Stain

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from teeny331. Show teeny331's posts

Lipstick/Gloss/Stain

Hi Ladies,

I want to thank you all for the wonderful advice you're so willing to give.  I've had some tough issues that I've posted, but now I'm on to some lighter faire!

As you may know, my wedding is going to be DIY as much as possible.  I'm doing my own makeup and my one roadblock is lips.  I generally wear lipglosses on a daily basis.  For the wedding, I'd like to find something that gives a little color, that will last for 7+ hours, and won't get transferred to everyone I'll be kissing.

I don't really like the covergirl outlast, it feels too cakey and dry, even when I apply the topcoat.  I haven't tried any of the other longwear duos, though.  I did see that one of the other drugstore brands has a new lipstain that I'm curious about.  I'm just not sure of longevity. 

What worked for you or what will you be using?

Thanks!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PugsandKisses. Show PugsandKisses's posts

Re: Lipstick/Gloss/Stain

Teeny, I had my mom do my makeup for my wedding.  Like you, I only wear lip gloss and I don't like lipstick, but I wanted a little color for the wedding.  I used Maybelline Superstay Gloss and it was perfect!  The color stayed on almost all day (I think I may have reapplied once), it didn't rub off on anyone, and it wasn't sticky.  You can get it for about $8 at any drugstore.

http://www.maybelline.com/Product/Lip/LipGloss/superstay-gloss.htm

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

what you want is a stain and a clear gloss to put on top of it.

Find a nice light lip stain, I like Covergirl Outlast Lip Stain, Urban Decay, Tarte, and Benetint.

Take some lip balm and some plain sugar, mix together, and scrub your lips with it to get rid of any dead flaky bits. Wipe off excess with a damp washcloth. Apply the lip stain and dab with your finger to blend, do not rub your lips together. Let dry. Apply a clear gloss on top, any gloss will do. Keep the gloss withy our for re-applications (abotu every 2 hours), the stain should last about 5-8 hours depending on how much you drink.

Make sure the stain is a liquid, not a gel pot. Liquid will be totally absorbed by your lips and the color will last longer. A gel just sits on top and comes off like any other tinted balm.

Also, err on the lighter shades when it comes to stains if you can't try before you buy.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pink used to work for Sephora and is extremely knowledgable - every suggestion I've implemented has worked wonders.  (Love TendSkin, by the way.)

On a related note, albeit almost certainly NOT helpful, my SIL actually got her lips TATTOOED a neutral lipstick shade.  All she ever needs is clear lip gloss if she wants to add shine.  She said it hurt like you know what, though, and I can't imagine how much she must have paid (she didn't say).  But, she loves the result and is happy she did it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from teeny331. Show teeny331's posts

Awesome! Thanks girls!  I'll have to take a trip to Sephora soon!  And thanks for the extra tips PK!  I exfoliate my lips every morning, but I like your sweet version!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from teeny331. Show teeny331's posts

oh goodness, I can't imagine the pain of tattooing your lips!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

kar- you're so sweet. I'm just glad I can put my makeup junkie knowledge to good use :)

I've heard good things about permanent makeup. It's come a long way and can have really wonderful, natural-looking results. The inks don't fade and feather as much as they used to, and the shading needles are so fine that it's (slightly) less painful and the colro is well-blended.
    It's best for people who usually do the same makeup colors/routine almost every single day. Someone I worked with at Sephora had her lips and also eyeliner tattooed on. Lips were a nude color and the eyeliner was a medium brown. Her only complaint was that some sheer-colored glosses or lipsticks were no longer true-to-color when she used them, but she was fine switching to full-olor gloss or lipstick when she wanted a different color.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pink, what about a lip liner for her?  I would think the liquid stain might bleed if a liner isn't applied first.  Thoughts?

I know; she says she has a "low tolerance" for pain, but I think the REAL story is she has a low tolerance for pain that doesn't leave her prettier than before. ;)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

kar- lip liner won't be necessary. As long as you apply the liquid stain sparingly to the center of your lips and dab with your finger to blend towards the lip line and outer corners it will not bleed. It's another reason why I pointed out not to rub your lips together to blend the stain, that will just push it to the edge. And after you apply the stain, you must wait for it to compeltely dry before applying gloss. A full 60 seconds.

teeny- you're a good egg exfoliating every morning. I almost never do unless I've got an important thing to go to, but I learned quickly at Sephora that lip exfoliating creams are a total rip off. You can get the same result from a $1.99 cvs balm and some sugar. My friend uses a drop of olive oil and sugar, but I've got to stay away from that, my chin is way too prone to breakouts!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from teeny331. Show teeny331's posts

Interesting, bleeding never occured to me.  How horrible would that be on your wedding day; to look like a 5 year old eating a cherry popsicle?! hahaha

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

if you do goof a little wiht the stain, you can just lightly dip a q-tip in some liquid makeup remover and trace the outline of your lips, then pat dry with a tissue.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from teeny331. Show teeny331's posts

Good to know! LOL

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If not necessary, I love the finished look a natural colored liner provides, and it also is fabulous at evening out shape or adding fullness if and where necessary.  The extra definition goes a long way in photos, too, in making your lips distinct.  Is there one you could recommend?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MissWolff. Show MissWolff's posts

MAC makes a great long wear lip color. It has the color on one end and a gloss on the other. I DIY'ed my wedding makeup and it lasted...and lasted...and lasted. It was a very neutral subdued pink.  It was not drying like the CG Outlast I road tested months prior to the wedding.

Good luck!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from teeny331. Show teeny331's posts

Thanks Miss Wolff, I believe there is a MAC across from Sephora at the Burlington Mall.  I'll have to grab my sister and start testing!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

In Response to Re: Lipstick/Gloss/Stain:
    [QUOTE]If not necessary, I love the finished look a natural colored liner provides, and it also is fabulous at evening out shape or adding fullness if and where necessary.  The extra definition goes a long way in photos, too, in making your lips distinct.  Is there one you could recommend?
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

Make Up For Ever has the best eyeliners and lip liners. The waterproof ones are serious business, used in underwater performances like the Paris Underwater Ballet and Cirque D'Soliel's "O". They will not come off until you use waterproof makeup remover to remove them, plus the texture is excellent- glides right on, no pulling- and the color is very rich and easily blendable.
    I love their lip produsts in general, their Super Gloss was the one I used every day at Sephora because we were required to have something on our lips but there was little to no time for re-application. The Super Gloss wears for 5-8 hours, depending on how much you eat or drink (or lick your lips). It's a little sticky, but that's because it is also completely waterproof.

I also really like NARS, Bare Escentuals and Urban Decay
    All are long-wearing and glide on easily.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

MAC's longwear color is good if you want more of a full-color lipstick look. A lip stain is best if you want a sheer-color look.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

[QUOTE]teeny- you're a good egg exfoliating every morning. I almost never do unless I've got an important thing to go to, but I learned quickly at Sephora that lip exfoliating creams are a total rip off. You can get the same result from a $1.99 cvs balm and some sugar. My friend uses a drop of olive oil and sugar, but I've got to stay away from that, my chin is way too prone to breakouts!
    Posted by pinkkittie27[/QUOTE]

Haha, that's funny!  I bought a lip exfoliator from Sephora and it was the best purchase I ever made!  Sure, it was $15, but I knew about the sugar trick and just never did it.  Now I just use a bit from the pot every few days and my lips stay happy.  The $15 was worth it for the convenience for me!  And it tastes good, all minty.  :)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Lipstick/Gloss/Stain : Haha, that's funny!  I bought a lip exfoliator from Sephora and it was the best purchase I ever made!  Sure, it was $15, but I knew about the sugar trick and just never did it.  Now I just use a bit from the pot every few days and my lips stay happy.  The $15 was worth it for the convenience for me!  And it tastes good, all minty.  :)
    Posted by trex509[/QUOTE]

see, the trouble is that lip exfoliators, and most cheaper lip balms, often have ingredients like peppermint oil, menthol or salicyclic acid in them. While they do temporarily improve the condition of your lips, in the long term they make your lips drier and more prone to flaking.
    That's why I prefer vaseline's lip balm (or plain ol' vaseline) and sugar when I need to exfoliate. Especially because I have really sensitive skin.

if it's the convenience factor, you can take any old small tin, squeeze in a tube of lip balm or a dab of vaseline, mix in sugar til it makes a paste and keep it in a cool, dry place like a medicine cabinet.

Of course YMMV everyone's skin is different and tolerates things differently.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

These tips are all great. I'm going to try the sugar lip exfolient idea. Speaking of cosmetics, Poppy if you're reading this thread, I just saw an ad for a new fragrance from Coach. It's named "Poppy". I immediatly thought of you.  Too muggy out today! My hair is all frizz! b.g.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

it's been far too muggy and hot for me (and my hair) all month! good thing I look good in hats :)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from teeny331. Show teeny331's posts

Hi Ladies,

Happy Monday!

After trying on many different stains and long-lasting lipsticks at Sephora Friday night, I decided to check Macy's before I made a commitment.  I ended up really liking the MAC Pro Longwear duo in Night Rose.  It is more of a lipstick than a stain, but the color was perfect for me, natural and not bold.  I did really like a lipstain that I saw at Sephora, I can't think of the brand right now, but decided to go with the MAC. 

Also, I really liked one of the new lipstains by CoverGirl, but 2 drugstores that I went to were both sold out.  I may still pick it up if I can find it though. 

Thanks for all of your help!!

=)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I think the Covergirl stains sell out because they're so good. It's the only stain you can get at the drugstore right now and I'm impressed with it. I have the red one and I like that I can use a dab and get a sheer look or layer it on for a bolder look. First stain I've used that layers well.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MissWolff. Show MissWolff's posts

Teeny- Glad it worked out! I *think* we might have said our vows in the same shade :)

Sections
Shortcuts