Looking back......

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dani273. Show Dani273's posts

Looking back......

Hi ladies.......today is a special day for me, as it is my wedding anniversary.  I wanted to do a little reflecting today, as I feel that my life has been passing me by over the past few years at lightening speed. I tend not to get too sappy, so I don't know what came over me today as I dusted off the old wedding video, which I have not viewed in a few years and I just sat back and watched. Laughing and crying, crying and laughing.
    As I was reliving this moment trapped in a mid-90's time warp, I realized how many people I was watching on film that are no longer alive today. It had really saddened me and I just wished that my videographer had captured more of them for me. Cousins, aunts, uncles, friends and neighbors. Some taken too young, some old when they left us, but either way, gone too soon.
    I guess the reason why I am posting is to remind all these soon to be married couples to really take their time and think about who the videographers and photographers should try and capture on film/disc.  Nothing has brought my children more joy than to see some of these people dance, to hear them speak or to show their love for me and my husband on our special day.....people that they never got to meet but have only heard about.  My kids love that I can tell them stories about this relative or that friend that is no longer with us, and then actually get to see them on a video or disc. Hear their voice, see thier smile....... Looking back 15 years, I have seen friendships that were very strong back then, but now, have drifted apart.  I saw elderly relatives dance, babies in the arms of their parents and grandparents.....just family and friends being happy. It is so important, but back then, I did not give it much thought as I was young and so eager to think only of my fututre without giving much regard to my past. Please take the time to embrace your older relatives, old friends and special conversations, take lots of pictures, video and whatever else you can to hold onto those very precious moments because they are gone too fast.  By doing so, you can hold onto a peice of the past while preserving something for your future.  Enjoy the day! :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

Re: Looking back......

Aww, Dani... that is great advice!  It's only been a year since our wedding, but we lost a dear neighbor suddenly over the winter & it was great to have pictures to share with happy, recent memories.  I have a picture with someone video-taping her, so now i am trying to track that tape down for her grandkids.
    I was glad at the time to have so many pictures of others at the wedding so I could see what I missed that day, but now I'm glad I have them so I can see who I miss now.

Happy anniversary Dani! 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

DH & I are also looking back as we'll be married 10 years in January.  This fall will be 10 years since my sister was killed by a drunk driver on our original wedding day.  We're also thinking of relatives and friends we've lost since, including my father in law, (5 yrs ago), an aunt last october and a very close friend who died of cancer @ 45 years of age this past January, leaving a husband and 3 teenagers.

We're also thinking of my parents, who are elderly and have had health issues and DH's health issues of late...

How important it is to "stop & smell the roses"  and to take the time to enjoy each others company no matter what life brings you.

We consider ourselves very fortunate!

Hope you had a great anniversary, Dani! 
    Sealed     

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

happy anniversay, ladies! I hope you have many more happy memories to look back on int he years to come!

what you say is to true, Dani. I wish I'd made a list of people to get photos of and given it to my mom or my aunt to make sure they all got taken. I was too busy at the wedding to even think of it, so I have no pictures of any of the grandparents! It's my one and only regret about the wedding.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

I don't feel bad joining a "ladies" conversation because what you all have written is oh so true...and it applies to men, too.  In a couple of weeks, I'll be married 31 years.  Wedding videos were almost unheard of then, but we told our photographer to go around during dinner when everyone was seated and get at least one picture of every table.  So many are gone...3 of the 4 parents, most of the aunts, uncles, family friends, and even several of our own cousins and friends.  Those wedding pictures have become all the more precious with every passing year.  As the old song goes, "In only a moment we both will be old. We won't even notice the world turning cold. And so in this moment with sunlight above, my cup runneth over with love."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

I am very grateful that the photographer at my sister's wedding got pictures of my grandparents, who missed my law school graduation and will miss my wedding.  I am also grateful for Photoshop.  Wink

Congratulations to all of you who have been married for so long.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

Talk about looking back.  I just learned that my former hairstylist who was a very long time friend has died.  I'm just learning the details.  I'm thinking of how unbelievably suupportive he was when my sister had passed...

the services are going to be tough...