Marriage Books

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Marriage Books

Can any of you suggest any books on marriage/marriage preperation. So far, I have The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work: A Practical Guide from the Country's Foremost Relationship Expert, by John Gottman. Any other suggestions would be great. It can be faith based, or not.

TIA!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scorpio75. Show Scorpio75's posts

Re: Marriage Books

This is not a marriage prep book but my sister loved "The Five Love Languages" and I keep meaning to read it.  She and her husband don't speak the same language apparently and this has helped them both since they can more easily identify when the other says "I love you".

For example my sister says it, she is comfortable with it.  Her husband says "I love you" by washing her car or doing other things. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Read The Giving Tree.  Don't laugh, I'm not kidding. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

The Duggars have a book out. Laughing

Just kidding. But they do have a book out, that part was real. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

I second "The Five Love Languages" - it's a fantastic book and a quick read that's great for relationships in general - your FI/DH, your friends, and family.  It's taught me a lot about myself and how I give and receive love (i.e. the "love language" that you speak).  All of my girlfriends and I are trying to get our husbands to read it because it provides very valuable relationship philosophies.  (DH promises he'll read it after the Twilight series - he's hooked - haha!)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The Five Love Languages is essential.  Also, not a marriage book, per se, but Personality Plus is, too.  It has a test you both take and will open up a world of extra understanding you have for each other's style of handling life and communication.

For marriage prep, we used a workbook (we each had our own) that our pastor used to work with us during our 6 premarital counseling sessions.  It is so important that I will go so far as to say I wouldn't have gotten married the first time if we'd done the workbook first; I'd have known it was going to fail.  Conversely, I knew for SURE that I was doing the right thing the second time BECAUSE we did the workbook first.  My brother and his wife used it, and when I asked about it he said it was great, but "fasten your seatbelt - it's worth doing."

Preparing for Marriage (remember to order 2)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from woodie. Show woodie's posts

The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands  Dr. Laura Schlessinger

http://www.amazon.com/Proper-Care-Feeding-Husbands/dp/0060520620/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265392029&sr=1-1

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Wow, woodie.

The key line in one of the reviews: "Not surprisingly, Dr. Laura promises no similar title for the care and feeding of wives. Apparently there would be no fun in that."