Marriage License Question

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from preserves. Show preserves's posts

Marriage License Question

We're getting married on 7/11 and are currently living in NYC...we are coming up this friday to get the marriage license...I've heard conflicting things about where I need to go to get it. I was under the impression from internet research that I just needed to go to the town hall where we are getting married (Lexington) but now my mom thinks I need to go to the courthouse?!? Beginning to stress over this one..what has everyone else done or is planning to do?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Re: Marriage License Question

I googled it for you...here's wher eyou need to go

Town of Lexington
    Town Clerk's Office
    1625 Massachusetts Avenue 
    Lexington, MA  02420

It is $25 -

and in case your mom doesn't believe you... here's the website

http://ci.lexington.ma.us/townclerk/vitals.cfm

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from preserves. Show preserves's posts

Thanks so much...the date is coming up fast and I've started with the anxiety dreams were I spazz out over random things like this...I got to work this AM and did some more googling and found on www.mass.gov:

Marriage Licenses in Massachusetts

The legal age to marry in Massachusetts is 18 (M.G.L. ch. 207, s. 33A). All people who marry in the state must have a marriage license issued in Massachusetts by any city or town clerk (M.G.L. ch. 207, s. 28).

Proper identification is necessary. You may be required to show a certified birth certificate.

Marriage licenses are issued from any Massachusetts city or town hall.  To locate a local contact in your city or town, please visit Commonwealth Communities.  You may also call Citizen Information Service at 617-727-7030 or 800-392-6090 for additional information. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You can actually get the license in any town in Massachusetts; it has nothing to do with where you are getting married.  However, the catch is that it must be filed after the wedding at the same office you apply for it.

It's the Town Clerk that issues licenses in every town. 

You know there's a 3 business day wait, right?  You can't walk in and get it that day.  You also need to apply together in person.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from preserves. Show preserves's posts

Kargiver-Thanks for the clarification. I know about the three waiting period...that is why we are getting it on Friday for our 7/11 wedding. From my understanding there is a 60 day maximum from the date you apply to the date you get married.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Kargiver-Thanks for the clarification. I know about the three waiting period...that is why we are getting it on Friday for our 7/11 wedding. From my understanding there is a 60 day maximum from the date you apply to the date you get married.
    Posted by preserves

Yes, 60 days.  I wasn't sure if you were coming up for a long weekend or staying longer.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

You can actually get the license in any town in Massachusetts; it has nothing to do with where you are getting married.  However, the catch is that it must be filed after the wedding at the same office you apply for it. It's the Town Clerk that issues licenses in every town.  You know there's a 3 business day wait , right?  You can't walk in and get it that day.  You also need to apply together in person.
    Posted by kargiver

Kar, we are getting married in a church.  The church files our marriage license after we're married, correct?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

Preserves - We applied for our license about a month before the wedding, but you have to pick it up 3 days later, or at least sometime before the wedding. I didn't go get it until we were on the way to the rehearsal (that's when I gave it to our JP).  If you aren't going to be in the area, or don't want to wait until the last minute, you could always ask them about mailing it to you before the wedding. Not sure if this is an option.
      After the wedding our JP took care of filing it & even ordered a certified copy to be mailed to us.  It was waiting with the mail when we got back from our trip! I could start the name change stuff right away. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

When you say there is a 3 day holding period, does that mean that when you apply for it, you can not pick it up for three days? Why is that? I honestly have not even thought about this!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

It takes a minimum of 3 days to prepare the paperwork.  They will let you know when you can go back in and pick it up.  You need to be present when you apply for it, but I believe you can pick it up alone.  One of you can go.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Goodness, I believe what happens is that the priest or officiant signs it and mails it in. Then you can request copies, etc for name change and things like that. I'm bringing ours to our rehearsal, and I'm planning to put postage on it for him.

If I'm wrong I'll let you know next week...ahh!

a-m

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Thanks, ams.  That's exactly what I was looking for!  I need to know the steps I need to take for the name change portion.

SO EXCITING for you!  Are you ready?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

I handed it over at our rehearsal to the offiant and never saw it again!  So yes they (the officiant) takes care of it.  I called my town hall when I got back from the honeymoon about 9 business day later (longer if you count weekends) and was able to stop by to get a certified copy to make the name change etc.  It is a small town so I don't know if that is why it was speedy but I called to check on it before I made the trip, and they had it waiting for me when I got there.  Just a small fee for the copy I was in and out in 2 minutes.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Hi there,
    This has pretty much been said already, but just to reiterate - Your officiant needs to mail in the license after he/she signs it.  It must be mailed.  I tried to drop mine off in person after the honeymoon, but the town clerk wouldn't accept it and she said I shouldn't even have it in my possesion.  Oh well!  Our friend had performed our ceremony so we were a little lost :o)

Also, yes you can apply for the license anywhere within the state of MA when you are getting married in MA.  The clerk will give you a card that you can give to ANYONE to come pick up the license for the officiant to sign.  And since it has to be mailed in after that, yuo won't have to go back if you live out of state.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

And just to clarify, ANYONE can pick up the license after the 3-day period...it doesn't have to be you or FI.

Wherever you decide to get it, Lexington or anyplace else, call the town clerk and ask what they require for identification.  Some towns want birth certs and picture IDs and others don't ask for anything at all. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sarah4532. Show sarah4532's posts

Don't forget to shop around for marriage liscences either. I'm sure most of you don't want to go out of your way- but if you check out surrounding towns by you it might save you a little bit of cash too. I was unaware that it wasn't a flat fee until I talked to my officiant- thank god for her! Not that it makes a big difference but hey- money is money!

Preserves- I just went to the lexington Ma website:

Certificate of Marriage & Obtaining a Marriage License 

Marriage Intentions may be filed at the Lexington Town Clerk's Office, Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.  Filing fee: $25.00.  Effective July 1, 2009 Marriage Intention filing fee changes to $40.00.

The fee for filing a marriage intention in Woburn is $30.00

However- the fee in Lincoln (right next to Lexington) is $15.00

Hope this helps a bit! Smile

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Can you get the town hall to mail you copies, or do you or someone else have to go there?

I'm getting married in NH, but I'm guessing something like that would be the same as MA....

One reason we decided to go to NH is the Mass blood test! I can't do it. I will pass out immediately and perhaps even vomit. Shudder.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

MA doesn't require a blood test for the marriage license.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Thanks, ams.  That's exactly what I was looking for!  I need to know the steps I need to take for the name change portion. SO EXCITING for you!  Are you ready?
    Posted by Goodness1

For the name change stuff, I gave in and downloaded the $30 software at www.missnowmrs.com

It fills in all the forms you need (and a bunch you dont) so you just have to print them and follow the directions. I need to order a bunch of copies of our certificate once we're legal, and that will be annoying b/c its $10/copy.

Ready...yes. I think. haha. I still feel like it should be a lot farther away then a week from Saturday...we are just focusing on that cruise ship...hah. :-)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scorpio75. Show Scorpio75's posts

For the name change stuff, I gave in and downloaded the $30 software at www.missnowmrs.com It fills in all the forms you need (and a bunch you dont) so you just have to print them and follow the directions. I need to order a bunch of copies of our certificate once we're legal, and that will be annoying b/c its $10/copy. Ready...yes. I think. haha. I still feel like it should be a lot farther away then a week from Saturday...we are just focusing on that cruise ship...hah. :-)
    Posted by amschnittger

I only got one certifed copy and used it for everything....  my SS name change, ING only needed a copy of it and not a cerified copy and my passport, which was a free change because my passport in my maiden name was less than a year old.  So when I got back from the honeymoon I had what was then my current passport and sent that with new pics the same certified copy of the marriage cert I had used for SS and the banks and got the new passport free.  They sent the certified copy back so I still have it.

The lesson is you may not need that many certified marriage certs, one just might do you fine. 

Click here for a link to down load the ss form free.

Click here for the link to down load the passport form free

The RMV says there is no documentation needed, BUT I needed my certified marriage cert, you need to go to a branch for a new picture.  Also if your renewal date is within 6 months of when you change you name, just renew the license then, so you are only charged the $48 renewal fee.  If you don't then it is $15 to change your name and then $48 to renew.

My HR department copied my certified marriage cert and they did the changes on my W4 or is it W2..you get the point. They also changed my 401k and health, dental and vision insurance.

For utilities I called since I was the primary account holder and said change then name and they did no questions asked.  Comcast wanted a form which was free and they emailed that to me. It cost $ to change it in directory assistance so I left it as it was.  My bank (specifically ING since that wasn't in person) wanted a letter with a copy of the cert, it did not need to be certified.  All the credit card companies changed on my say so no letter or cert needed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from preserves. Show preserves's posts

Thanks everyone...after reading all the posts and doing research we'll be going to Bedford (my old hometown & where M&D reside) for our license. Its amazing how much a single piece of paper can cause so much stress...hopefully this will be easier than the NY DMV in Herald Square (always a fun day).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Thanks Scorpio!  How did you find out that you didn't have to pay to change your passport??  I just got a new one because mine would have expired in April and the honeymoon was in May...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

That's good info, Scorpio, thanks! glad to know I don't need to get all those copies.

So, did you do the SS change in person? Just to clarify the only time you actually mailed in your certified copy was for the passport, the rest either didnt require a certified copy or you went in person?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scorpio75. Show Scorpio75's posts

Yeah I went to the SS office in Lowell, the wait was minimal on the Friday morning that I went.

Fra- I believe it was on the passport form that you fill out and send. If you are eligable to use the format DS-5504 I think it is 4 pages you will see at the bottom of page two it states that there is no fee.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from katel. Show katel's posts

I would like to divulge a particularly embarassing thing-we forgot to pick up our marriage license! We went and got it, and forgot all about it after that! I was already in my dress, getting ready to board the boat on which we'd get married (at 4:00 on a Saturday, btw), and someone asked me where it was!!! Luckily for me, I got married in the very small town where I grew up (Essex, MA), so my mother called the town clerk at her home and she delivered it to our house within 10 minutes! Thank God for small towns!

Sections
Shortcuts