Mascara...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Mascara...

Can anyone suggest a waterproof mascara that won't break the bank and won't clump? I love my Clinique one, but am kind of sick of paying $14 everytime I have to buy it. I have tried Maybelline Volum' Express, but wasn't too impressed, the mascara seemed to all clump up on the brush. Any suggestions?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PugsandKisses. Show PugsandKisses's posts

Re: Mascara...

Hi Peonie!

My favorite is Maybelline's Lash Stilletto -- I actually wore it on my wedding day.  It runs pretty cheap, and you can often find buy one, get 50% off/free deals at CVS.

And this may sound crazy, but I absolutely love the e.l.f (eyeslipsface.com) Regular and Waterproof mascara duo, which costs $1!  That website also has some nice (and cheap) lip glosses and tools/accessories too.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

I wear the waterproof makeup from The Body Shop. I can't remember how much it costs, but pretty much all of my makeup comes from The Body Shop.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

$14 sounds really cheap for mascara!!!

I use an Estee Lauder one - having tried to break my "brand" name cosmetic addiction, I have tried Maybeline, Loreal, Max Factor, Almay... all with no luck - I ended up with  clumpy lashes or the color just didn't last well or they smudged.

Hopefully others have had better luck!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

CoverGirl Lash Blast in waterproof is one of the best waterproof mascaras I've ever tried.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

I use covergirl both "regular" and "waterproof" when necessary and love both.
    Goes on smooth not clumpy and separates eyelashes nicely.  Only starts to clump a bit when time to replace.  Have tried expensive ones and always go back.
    I buy the curve brush one but that is a preference I think.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Thanks, girls. I am going to try both Maybelline Stash and the Cover Girl ones!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I second the Cover Girl Lash Blast - I have to admit, I heard about it from watching America's Next Top Model and went out and got it... and it's great!  Lasts about 2 months before starting to clump... I think my Clinique lasted longer than that, but I like the CG a lot.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

If you want to prevent clumping, store your mascara standing up in a cup, and never pump the wand or double-dip the wand.
    You're technically supposed to throw out your mascara after 3 months, but I don't know very many people who actually do that.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

In Response to Re: Mascara...:
    If you want to prevent clumping, store your mascara standing up in a cup, and never pump the wand or double-dip the wand. You're technically supposed to throw out your mascara after 3 months, but I don't know very many people who actually do that.
    Posted by pinkkittie27

That's interesting.  I happen to store my mascara standing up in a cup, because otherwise, I can't find it when I want it.  And I've never been a pumper or double-dipper.  I now wonder if the reason my mascara doesn't clump is that it's expensive, or that I happen to avoid all the things people do that make it clump.  Undecided

FWIW, I buy Aveda (not waterproof, but doesn't run or smear easily). I don't remember how much it is, but it's closer to $14 than $4 or $5.  And I never throw it away after three months - if I wear it every day, it takes about 6 months to use it all, and that's when I toss it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I now wonder if the reason my mascara doesn't clump is that it's expensive, or that I happen to avoid all the things people do that make it clump.  Posted by lucy7368

Probably a combination of the two. but, FWIW, I've used everything from the $50 mascaras to the $5 mascaras, and the difference can sometimes be negligible. It's really not worth splurging on unless you've got really short, straight lashes.

the only makeup truly worth splurging on is foundation and lip color

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

In Response to Re: Mascara... : Probably a combination of the two. but, FWIW, I've used everything from the $50 mascaras to the $5 mascaras, and the difference can sometimes be negligible. It's really not worth splurging on unless you've got really short, straight lashes. the only makeup truly worth splurging on is foundation and lip color
    Posted by pinkkittie27

My problem is that all the cheap ones I can find want to do crazy things to my lashes.  They are long, curly, thick, and blond.  All I need to do is darken.  Lengthening, curling, or thickening mascaras just make me look weird.  I also find that, with the cheap ones, I need waterproof, and I just don't like waterproof. 

The best mascara I ever used cost 11 Euros, and they didn't sell it in the US when I got home.  Cry  (That was years ago.  I could probably find it now.)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

lucy- you should honestly look into getting your lashes tinted. it lasts 6-8 weeks, just like hair color.
    Tarte also makes a lash stain

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sher. Show sher's posts

i usually use DiorShow, but that's a priceier one. one tube lasts a long time though. doesn't give me racoon eyes. i also like the sephora lash plumper.

some of the store brands smudge all over my eyes by the end of the day (i do my makeup once a day, i am not a reapplier, so i get annoyed when this happens).

i have had good luck with Lash Stiletto staying on but the bristles were a little wiry and kind of hurt.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

I replace mine every 2-3 months without a question.
    Never tried the covergirl lash blast on the "normal" ones but might give it try.
    Swear by covergirl for that.
    Agree with pink I spend a lot on lip color and foundation or tinted lotion.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

lucy- you should honestly look into getting your lashes tinted. it lasts 6-8 weeks, just like hair color. Tarte also makes a lash stain
    Posted by pinkkittie27

Unless lash tint costs about $14 every six months, I probably can't afford it.  Also, the idea of dying my lashes really freaks me out. I should probably get over it, though, as I am generally lazy, and the idea of not having to put makeup on appeals to me. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

see, Diorshow gave me awful raccoon eyes. it's one of those products where your milage may vary.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

well, the tarte stain is only $18 and you only have to apply it every 3 days, so it would last a little longer than regular mascara.

lash-dying technology has advanced, I believe they use a henna-based dye now so that it's gentler.

In Response to Re: Mascara... : Unless lash tint costs about $14 every six months, I probably can't afford it.  Also, the idea of dying my lashes really freaks me out. I should probably get over it, though, as I am generally lazy, and the idea of not having to put makeup on appeals to me. 
    Posted by lucy7368

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

So, I went to Macy's to buy my Origins eyeliner (the BEST eyeliner IMO, and I have tried everything), and I wanted to give you an update on the question I had asked on makeup application for an engagement shoot. The woman at the Clinique counter said to just make an appointment, and they don't charge anything, and you don't have to buy any products. I was pretty happy to hear that. And on the way home, I stopped by CVS, and bought CG Lash Blast.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

well, the tarte stain is only $18 and you only have to apply it every 3 days, so it would last a little longer than regular mascara. lash-dying technology has advanced, I believe they use a henna-based dye now so that it's gentler. In Response to Re: Mascara... :
    Posted by pinkkittie27

I'm really perfectly happy to wear mascara.  The tarte stain actually looks interesting, but it says you need to use oil-based makeup remover to get it off.  And I don't like the way I look with only mascara, so I would need to put on full makeup every time I left the house.

The whole thing also just makes me think of those girls who show up at the gym with their hair done perfectly and full, date night makeup.  Those girls worry me.  I don't want people to think I put on mascara to go to yoga.  I especially do not want the slightly weird guy next to me to think that.  Surprised

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Oh boy, than call me weird, I honestly can not leave the hosue without at least mascara on...ok, well I can run to Walgreens to get milk, but if I am out for more than an hour, I feel weird without at least a little bit of make up on. But don't worry, I'm not all Kardashian-like with my makeup...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

I just don't see the point of spending an hour to perfectly apply your makeup, then go to the gym and sweat it all off.  Because, honestly, most women will look worse with makeup smeared everywhere than without it.

I understand putting on makeup if you're going to be out and about most of the day.  But, personally, if I'm going to start, I'm going to finish.  I feel more naked with partial makeup than none.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

same here. even when I go to the gym I have to at least wear face powder and mascara.
    I can apply them in under 5 minutes, they won't sweat off, and it keeps me from looking like death's pallor.

Oh boy, than call me weird, I honestly can not leave the hosue without at least mascara on...ok, well I can run to Walgreens to get milk, but if I am out for more than an hour, I feel weird without at least a little bit of make up on. But don't worry, I'm not all Kardashian-like with my makeup...
    Posted by Peonie

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

same here. even when I go to the gym I have to at least wear face powder and mascara. I can apply them in under 5 minutes, they won't sweat off, and it keeps me from looking like death's pallor. In Response to Re: Mascara... :
    Posted by pinkkittie27

That's different.  There is one woman in particular who shows up at the gym with black mascara, eyeliner, shadow up to her eyebrows, lip liner, lip gloss, and mountains of blush.  I've actually seen her touching up before getting on the machines.  We call her Workout Barbie, but she's not the only one.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

yeah, that's weird.
    Sort of like when women would come into Sephora in full makeup- but wearing a sweat suit. It always looks like their body is going one place and the head is going to another. The whole concept of "casual chic" is negated by a full face of makeup and a smoky eye. And while the makeup says "I'm someone who puts a lto of effort into how I look" the sweat suit says "I couldn't be bothered to put together an outfit".
    It always baffled me.

In Response to Re: Mascara... : That's different.  There is one woman in particular who shows up at the gym with black mascara, eyeliner, shadow up to her eyebrows, lip liner, lip gloss, and mountains of blush.  I've actually seen her touching up before getting on the machines.  We call her Workout Barbie, but she's not the only one.
    Posted by lucy7368

Sections
Shortcuts