Music suggestions/poll?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Music suggestions/poll?

We're meeting with our DJ tomorrow night, so I have to figure out some music suggestions!  I'm sure he'll pick good music, but I'd love to give him a list of stuff we know are fun for weddings. 

So, a poll:

1)  what is your favorite song to dance to at a wedding (as a guest)?

2)  what is your favorite slow dance song (as a guest)?

3)  what did you use for your reception entrance song?

4)  what was your first dance song?

Thanks for helping me brainstorm!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYEBride2010. Show NYEBride2010's posts

Re: Music suggestions/poll?

Hi Trex!  The September issue of Bride just had an article on this and even broke down by genre from the processional all thru last dance.  I'll give you my favorites and hope it helps!
    1)  what is your favorite song to dance to at a wedding (as a guest)? Build me up Buttercup or Come on Eileen (i know,  cheesy)

2)  what is your favorite slow dance song (as a guest)? don't really have one...only been to 2 wedding with a date....so far! but just in general anything 80s and slow.

3)  what did you use for your reception entrance song? We are using Whole Lotta Love by Led Zepplin....compromise for Fi as he won't let me use anything by Black Eyed Peas

4)  what was your first dance song? Not going traditional here, Band of Horses song called No One's Going to Love you (more than I do)....dance instructor was confused on this one but it's working well!

As long as its fun and upbeat you will get people on the dance floor. I find as long as ppl are familiar with it they are comfortable.  I went a wedding and the music was very structured and lots of ethnic family songs of the B&G...made it harder for the guests to join in not knowing the dances.
    Good luck!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

1) Anything 80s new wave/alternative. Preferably The Cars.

2) Don't have one.

3) Didn't have one since the ceremony and reception were in the same place and I thought it was too weird to enter twice.

4) "Good Feeling" The Violent Femmes

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Anything fun and upbeat, but a tip our DJ gave (which worked!) was to start off with Motown stuff - appeals to all ages and gets everyone out on the dance floor.

Hm... never thought about it!

Dirty Water.

Thank You (Led Zepplin)

Good luck at your meeting!  Definitely make a "do not play" list if there are songs you don't want played.  Also stipulate who can make requests - I think we asked our DJ to check with us if anyone outside the wedding party made a request.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PugsandKisses. Show PugsandKisses's posts

Yay, I love the music threads!

1)  Anything that doesn't have a dance to go along with it.  Electric Slide, YMCA, Macarena...you'd never see me up dancing to any of those.  We played a lot of old Michael Jackson at our wedding and people seemed to like that.

2)  I love "Let's Stay Together" by Al Green

3)  We used "Runnin' with the Devil" by Van Halen for our entrance

4)  First dance was "So Far Away" by Staind

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from meanbean220. Show meanbean220's posts

I'll dance to anything- personal favorite is Michael Jackson or anything Motown

"Stand By Me" by Ben E. King

"Say Hey I Love You" by Michael Franti and Spearhead

"Fresh Feeling" by The Eels

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

1)  what is your favorite song to dance to at a wedding (as a guest)? i don't generally dance at a wedding so no answer

2)  what is your favorite slow dance song (as a guest)? Let's Stay Together by Al Green

3)  what did you use for your reception entrance song? Didn't pick one and I don't remember what the DJ put on for us

4)  what was your first dance song? Tangled Up in You by Staind (or as DH says by Aaron Lewis lol)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

1)  what is your favorite song to dance to at a wedding (as a guest)? I like cheesy line dances - Electric Slide, Cotton Eye Joe, Cha Cha Slide. Yeah, I'm *that* wedding guest

2)  what is your favorite slow dance song (as a guest)? The old standards - Frank Sinatra etc.

3)  what did you use for your reception entrance song? The 1960s Batman Theme

4)  what was your first dance song? Smile by Uncle Kracker

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

1)  what is your favorite song to dance to at a wedding (as a guest)?  I like 80s music and disco mostly.  Top 40 is usually good too. 

2) what is your favorite slow dance song (as a guest)? Don't really have one.

3)  what did you use for your reception entrance song? Working on this now.  but thinking about the beginning of Right Now by Van Halen, Won't Get Fooled Again by the Who or Beautiful Day by U2.  However, I believe FI and I are walking into the Star Wars theme... :)

4)  what was your first dance song? Our first dance is Finally by Fergie

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from k1r5ten. Show k1r5ten's posts

1)  what is your favorite song to dance to at a wedding (as a guest)? "I Want You Back," Jackson 5, or "Like a Prayer," Madonna. Starting with Motown is a good tip!

2)  what is your favorite slow dance song (as a guest)? The first one that comes to mind is "When You Say Nothing At All."

Haven't made it to 3 or 4 yet!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Just to add this perspective, not all your guests will care that much.  But, I DO care about how loud it is especially over dinner.  If I have to scream across the table over "dinner music," I'm VERY unhappy, not enjoying my meal or the company which is the whole point of being seated at that table.  I've been to weddings where this was the situation, and it was awful for everyone.  And, dancing music doesn't have to blast away the neighborhood, either, to be fun, imo.  That's my biggest thing with the music...pretty much my only concern, actually.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

In Response to Re: Music suggestions/poll?:
    "Fresh Feeling" by The Eels
    Posted by meanbean220

Yay!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mo41083. Show Mo41083's posts

Picking music was my favorite part of the planning!

1) what is your favorite song to dance to at a wedding (as a guest)?  Shout...always!
    2) what is your favorite slow dance song (as a guest)? Don't have one, I'm not a fan of slow dancing.
    3) what did you use for your reception entrance song?
    A Minha Menina from A Band of Bees
    4) what was your first dance song? First dance was You Are the Best Thing from Ray LaMontagne and last dance was Ingrid Michaelson The Way I Am.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukes58. Show lukes58's posts

didn't have a wedding but always said that my walk down the aisle and/or entrance song was the clash - should i stay or should i go

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Honestly, the only wedding song I remember, ever, was from the bride's unfortunate decision to have karoake at the wedding, plus an open bar, and one or two questionable song options...

Otherwise, I'm with Kar.  Make sure it isn't so loud that people can't carry on a conversation.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Summer Wind

I Do by J Geils

see #2

Thanks for helping me brainstorm!

The dance floor doesn't have to be a dark, sweaty, mosh pit in order for your wedding to be a success.  I encourage you to ask your DJ to play a mixture of fast and slow so that guests of all ages can enjoy the dancing.  Once you're married, your husband will never dance to a fast song again.  LOL!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Once you're married, your husband will never dance to a fast song again.  LOL!
    Posted by cosmogirl

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!  I'm adding to my song suggestions list!

Kar - good point on the volume!  I will mention it to the DJ.  I hate when music is too loud too.

Cosmo - I thought your comment above was very odd.  A lot of guys like to dance (am I wrong?).  FI and I met ballroom dancing and our first dance will most likely be a hustle.  Believe me, we'll be dancing both fast and slow until we are old and grey!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I think her comment has some merit. DH danced to a total of one fast song at the wedding this weekend and I believe it was the 3rd to last song of the night :o)

I agree that I like the motown songs - I Want You Back by the Jackson 5 was suggested above and I love that song!  I like Humpty Dance too.

Never thought about this much.  Will pretty much dance to any slow song, but I agree that Let's Stay Together is a GREAT one.  Was on my must play list.  Also love I'll Stand By You by the Pretenders.

Some NESN song by the Dropkick Murphys, then Can't Explain by the Who, then Happy Together by the Turtles

Because You Loved me by Celine Dion.  So cheesy, but love some of the lyrics.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shell7. Show Shell7's posts

I'm looking forward to choosing the songs for my wedding.  That's the fun part!

1)  what is your favorite song to dance to at a wedding (as a guest)?  Anything from the 80s and 90s is fun.

Frank Sinatra is a good choice.

My fiance wants to play the theme from "Rocky".. we will see about that :)

My first dance will be to "I Could Not Ask For More" by Edwin McCain.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from spinningwheel. Show spinningwheel's posts

1) Anything 80s new wave/alternative. Preferably The Cars. 2) Don't have one. 3) Didn't have one since the ceremony and reception were in the same place and I thought it was too weird to enter twice. 4) "Good Feeling" The Violent Femmes
    Posted by pinkkittie27

Never been too much of a music person, but love this post.  
    1) I agree.
    2) Again, probably agree, but we love Can't Take My Eyes Off of You (not totally slow) and got to dance to that at our wedding.
    3) Didn't have one. No idea what the band played, if anything.
    4) Twelfth of Never, by Johnny Mathis.  It's beautiful, and it's short (perfect for a non-dancer like me)!

Meanwhile, Good Feeling totally takes me back to 7th grade, when I completely embarrassed myself in front of my parents when I insisted on rewinding and re-rewinding that tape in my parents' car....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zenbat. Show zenbat's posts

Fun thread!

1. I don't have a particular favorite. Anything New Wave is great, as is Johnny Cash. AC/DC seems to get people up and moving at the weddings I've been to lately.

2. Anything sung by Ella Fitzgerald. Somehow a lot of the slow dance songs I'd like to dance to get played during the cocktail hour or dinner.

3. Still working on this, current pick is Starlight by Muse.

4. Likely to be Teardrop by Massive Attack.

My wedding music pet peeve . . . depressing songs. I witnessed a DJ play "you've lost that loving feeling" at a wedding reception. Clueless? Bitter? Who knows.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Randomly, my favorite song to dance to is "I Will Survive."  It may not be wedding-appropriate, but it's awesome.  I haven't been to a wedding sober in just over 16 years, so I can't offer much help on the other stuff.  I haven't slow-danced since my high school prom, and I think it was "Wild Horses."  I love that song.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from teeny331. Show teeny331's posts

Awsome post Trex! 

80s/90s dance hits lol

anything by the Rat Pack

I think we're going to use "I Got You" by James Brown

We're going to use "I Only Have Eyes for You" by The Flamingos

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

In Response to Re: Music suggestions/poll? : Never been too much of a music person, but love this post.   1) I agree. 2) Again, probably agree, but we love Can't Take My Eyes Off of You (not totally slow) and got to dance to that at our wedding. 3) Didn't have one. No idea what the band played, if anything. 4) Twelfth of Never, by Johnny Mathis.  It's beautiful, and it's short (perfect for a non-dancer like me)! Meanwhile, Good Feeling totally takes me back to 7th grade, when I completely embarrassed myself in front of my parents when I insisted on rewinding and re-rewinding that tape in my parents' car....
    Posted by spinningwheel

ooh, I love "Can't Take My Eyes Off of You" especially because it's slow enough, but really upbeat too!

The Violent Femmes is DH's favorite band and we listened to them constantly when we first started seeing each other. A close runner up was "Yer So Bad" by Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

3. Still working on this, current pick is Starlight by Muse.
    Posted by zenbat

That is my favorite song to sing along to very loudly in my car or apartment. I hope none of my neighbors are your guests, they must be so sick of hearing it (and me)! Embarassed 

Sections
Shortcuts