Open bar question

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

Open bar question

HI GH -

I don't think that is strange at all. I visited several venues that close the bar as a rule during dinner and do a wine service. Guests who do not want wine could order non-alcoholic bevvies. As long as you and venue coordinate things, it would probably run smoothly.

I have to say, however, I have never *been to* a wedding that did this, so I don't have the guest perspective on it.

good luck!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ilovebeagles. Show ilovebeagles's posts

Open bar question

I think that is totally fine- you are supplying people with alcohol for 6 hours. You are doing more than enough

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Open bar question

Wow. There are few discussions that can get as heated as the question of whether to have an open bar..... Good luck!

But, as for the question, what you're planning sounds fine.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenclown. Show greenclown's posts

Open bar question

I think it's a great idea, it's probably just a question of whether your venue will do it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bishky. Show Bishky's posts

Open bar question

Hi, GHjune!

I'm not really qualified to answer, but I was so excited to see that your question wasn't the typical open bar debate catalyst that I just had to post and say so.

Also, while I'm at it, I think your plan sounds fantastic.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Open bar question

Hi GHjune,
    If the two bars are at different places - I think your plan would work well. It is really not that you are shutting down "the" bar for an hour, you are just not opening the other one until later.
    If your guests cannot live without their cocktails for an hour - they can just fill up just before dinner and bring them to the table. That is what most heavy drinkers do anyway.
    I truly don't think it will be a problem as long as you have enough bartenders to serve your guests, so the bar lines and the wait is not too long.

[Quote]Sorry about the title - I should have thought people might assume this is a "open or cash bar?" thread. I've seen where that road leads - nowhere good!!

It just seems like we're "paying" for the alcohol twice. It's not as much of a money issue. That overlapping hour, we would be paying per person for wine service, as well as per person for open bar. I'd rather have a longer party if no one minded the closed bar for the dinner hour.

Also, the two bars would be in different places - it's more of the cocktail hour bar shutting down, and the inside dinner bar not opening up right away.[/Quote]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

Open bar question

Your plan sounds fine....but if it were my wedding, I would keep the bar open during dinner and give cash bar as an option for the last hour. I noticed that when we added an extra hour to our wedding and by the time that hour came...a lot of people have already left so it would have been a waste of money to have an open bar at that point of our night...but I also know every wedding is different.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Open bar question

I think your idea sounds fine. Most people drink wine with dinner anyway and those who want something else usually get a cocktail just before going into dinner and take it to their table with them.
    Sounds lovely and very generous.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Open bar question

Seems like a good plan since a) the wine services is included and b) the open bar is only for 5 hours while your wedding is for 6.

Closing the bar during dinner happens a lot, even though people who haven't planned a wedding are usually surprised by it :o) Since we want a 5.5 hour reception and the venue can only have a bar open for 4.5, they automatically suggested closing it for a half hour during dinner and then for a half our at the end (that part is non-negotiable). We could do something different, but I don't have a better idea!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from missmaria. Show missmaria's posts

Open bar question

I think that is fine. I agree is probably not a good idea to close and hour before it ends.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Colby2000. Show Colby2000's posts

Open bar question

I'm currently having the same dilemma for my wedding and would love to hear what others think. Passed wine is not included in our package, however we will definitely be adding that during dinner. So, in our case, we truly are paying for both the passed wine and the bar to be open. In the end, I think we will end up having the bar open during dinner along with passed wine as this is one thing that is important to my FI.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

Open bar question

I've been to a wedding like this, I honestly wouldn't have noticed because I was drinking wine anyways, but they did put up a sign.
    I agree that closing the bar an hour before your reception ends is a good idea. It was mandatory at my venue, and I'm so glad. For that last 45 minutes it was people saying goodbye and getting ready to go, the only people who still wanted drinks were the wedding party, and the bartenders were nice enough to sneak us a few :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Open bar question

I don't think it's a big deal either way - if you keep it open for dinner hour, though, it will eliminate any embarrassing moments for your confused guests who go up for a non-wine drink during dinner. That being said, though, I don't think that will be very many people at all so not only will it not matter from that perspective, but it won't impact your bill much, either. During dinner, your guests will be concentrating on eating and talking especially since you are serving wine.

I'd say, keep it open. Not many people will avail themselves of the open bar at that time.

ETA: But, I don't feel strongly either way. Close it if you like, too.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

Open bar question

you are doing more than enough. dont worry about it

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from msol. Show msol's posts

Open bar question

We did open bar at our wedding, but closed it during dinner and had wine served at the table and it went fine. At the most dinner takes an hour and half and if the wine bottles got empty they just replaced w/ another one so no one ever went w/out a drink. Plus people still had drinks from cocktail hour that they brought with them into the ballroom. The country club closed the bar 30 minutes before the wedding ended.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

Open bar question

GH - we are big drinkers in my circle of friends and a few friends have had a closed bar during dinner (and wine was served exclusively with dinner). It was 100% fine because people didn't want to get up during dinner to go get a drink anyway, especially when the waitstaff was coming around refilling glasses at the table.

I think it's completely acceptable to close the bar for that hour and keep it open later. I agree with your train of thought. I just hope the venue lets you do that!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Open bar question

Shutting it down during dinner is fine, esp since you are serving wine w/ dinner. Do not shut it down for the last hour of the reception. It's extremely annoying when the bar is shut down then - not b/c I want to pound drinks, but b/c you can't even get a glass of water once the bar closes b/c the bartenders have all disappeared. I like to dance at weddings and I am usually dying for water toward the end. Heck, for my own wedding, we danced so much that I didn't even HAVE an alcoholic drink until the last hour of the reception and I figured I'd better take advantage of my own open bar before the day was over. :-)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhbride09. Show nhbride09's posts

Open bar question

We closed the bar during dinner and had wine service with dinner. We also had open bar for 6 hours and this worked out well. I believe that the reception venue required us to shut the bar down for 1 hour b/c of liquor laws. People weren't confused and we didn't put a sign up at the bar - there just wasn't a bartender there. I think that most people tend to have wine with dinner or those that didn't still had champagne from the toast or a drink from the cocktail hour.

I think your plan sounds perfect!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Open bar question

I assume it's because the reception is 6 hours and they're paying for 5 hours of open bar.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Open bar question

I think your plan sounds perfectly fine. Two thoughts though:

1) Is there a limit on the number of hours you can have the bar open? Our venue can only have the bar open for 4.5 hours so we have no choice but to close it during dinner.

2) Are you paying per person or per drink? If you're paying $20 per person, for example, it doesn't matter if you close the bar during dinner - the price will be the same. In fact, if it's per person, I would skip the wine service.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Open bar question

Your plan sounds fine. My venue was the one that suggested to us that the bar be closed during the meal. (We had the wine service during dinner.) Their rationale is that it is more efficient to get tables served and move through the meal service if people are not waiting in line at the bar.

I believe that there was a sign at the bar saying something to the effect that wine service would be available during dinner, so it gave cocktail (or beer) drinkers the heads-up to grab a new drink before the end of the cocktail hour.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ash. Show ash's posts

Open bar question

Why are you closing the bar during dinner? I am not sure I understand that part?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from octbride09. Show octbride09's posts

Open bar question

I am also doing this. Tableside wine during during dinner. Our venue only allows for a 4.5 hour bar. We are closing the bar during dinner and reopening it after. I was worried about this before until I went to a wedding and saw all the people drinking the wine on the table during dinner.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

Open bar question

I don't much care for wine, but if it's all that's there, I'll drink it, and I usually opt for it at wedding because I know 'll drink it slowly.
    Beggars can't be choosers and it is polite to drink and eat what is offered to you by your host, both at dinner parties and at weddings, barring any allergies or religious reasons.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from sunshine2008. Show sunshine2008's posts

Open bar question

[Quote]Hi sunshine,
    I see your point in the case of your cousin's wedding. But placing a bottle of vodka on each table does sound a bit unusual to me. But of course I and not familiar with Polish weddings. I can understand your husband feeling uncomfortable. Hubby and I would have felt the same way, we are not much of hard liquor drinkers. A Margarita or a Martini on occasion - but shots of Vodka most of the evening - not so much.
    But I do not believe we are talking Polish on this thread --- just general American weddings - so in your cousin's case, you are right - they should have kept the bar open for the guests that are not into Polish customs.
    In OP's case I think she is going far and beyond as far as alcohol consumption is concerned. Her plan of closing one of the bars and open the other bar 1 hour later should be fine for most wedding goers.

Just an added note. We have attended several weddings (Seven Adventists and Hindu weddings) - where no alcohol was served. Just water. soft drinks and juice or maybe some delicious non-alcoholic punch. Believe it or not - we still had a great time.

[/Quote]
    Pingo, thanks for the input, but my point with the vodka is that to supply one type, can alienate people sometimes. If you can't afford serving any alcohol, that's fine, but in this situation where there is room for flexibility, I just think closing for all those who do not like wine, etc is something I would vote against. Neither my husband, nor any of our male family members, or friends drink wine. In my wedding that would of have half my guests! I would not of wanted to do that to them. Hence my recommendation of prepaying a certain amount on the drinks tab, based on consumption, and since wine is included in the package, it takes away from people ordering it during dinner, and those that do not drink wine, can still enjoy a drink.