OT- Acupuncture for headaches/migraines

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

OT- Acupuncture for headaches/migraines

Does anyone know of a good acupuncturist (sp?) in the Boston area? I suffer from bad headaches, borderline migraines, and am at my whits end. Medicine is not helping. I have an appointment with a massage therapist who is going to do trigger point therapy on me, and an appointment with a chiropractor. I would also like to try acupuncture, as well. I'm think that alternative medicine may help.

Also, I am not afraid of needles at all, but does it hurt?

I had to call out of work today for a severe headache :(

Thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

Re: OT- Acupuncture

I can't recommend one in Boston - but I used to get it for stress/not sleeping/patches of dry skin. It really really helped - often the 45 minutes I would spend lying there was the best sleep I would get all that week!

It doesn't hurt - the needles are so fine you barely feel them at all (I won't say you can't feel them, as there are some points where you are aware something is there, but it doesn't hurt per se). I was getting some on the tops of my feet at one point and that would sting, but it would only be for a split second.

Good luck!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

Re: OT- Acupuncture for headaches/migraines

Hi Liz,
    I've seen various acupuncturists over the course of the last 15 years or so, since college.  The last one I went to I wouldn't necessarily recommend, but I found her on a website... there are a bunch, here are a couple:

www.acufinder.com/Acupuncture/Massachusetts#
    www.nesa.edu/practitioners/search

I can't remember which I used, but I basically called ones that were close by and went to the one I felt I connected with the most.  I liked her, but she traveled a lot and didn't end up being able to help with the issue I needed help with.  However in the past I have had great experiences and have cleared up some stuff.

There are different thicknesses of needles used, depending on the practitioner.  The thinner the needle, the less you will feel it.  I believe it's Japanese needles that are the thinnest, and Chinese that are thicker.  Just tell the practitioner your concerns and say that you would like the thinnest needles.  Some acupuncturists these days aren't even using needles, they're using different metals that they just hold over your skin.  There is also something called "moxa" (I think that is what it's called ) which is like a little piece or pile of insence that is put on the skin then burned away.  To me, that hurts.  To many people, it doesn't.  So I just asked that it not be done, or be done differently to get the desired effect.

Good luck, and don't be surprised if the person asks to look at your tongue every time - apparently it's a great indicator of all kinds of stuff!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rapunzel41. Show Rapunzel41's posts

In Response to OT- Acupuncture for headaches/migraines:
    [QUOTE]Does anyone know of a good acupuncturist (sp?) in the Boston area? I suffer from bad headaches, borderline migraines, and am at my whits end. Medicine is not helping. I have an appointment with a massage therapist who is going to do trigger point therapy on me, and an appointment with a chiropractor. I would also like to try acupuncture, as well. I'm think that alternative medicine may help. Also, I am not afraid of needles at all, but does it hurt? I had to call out of work today for a severe headache :( Thanks!
    Posted by lizinboston[/QUOTE]

If you can get to Mt. Auburn Hospital in Cambridge, the NE School of Acupuncture works out of there.  It's MUCH less expensive because you're working with students who are in their last stages of practicum before graduation.  I went for almost a year, to treat chronic pelvic pain, and it was fantastic.  If I had a headache (I too get migraines) or any other illness/ailment going on when I went in, she'd work on those for me too. 

The needles don't hurt, and I didn't just have needles.  They did a bunch of different alternate therapy treatments on me.  It was actually very relaxing, and it was nice "me" time when I was there.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rapunzel41. Show Rapunzel41's posts

In Response to Re: OT- Acupuncture for headaches/migraines:
    [QUOTE]  There is also something called "moxa" (I think that is what it's called ) which is like a little piece or pile of insence that is put on the skin then burned away.  To me, that hurts.  To many people, it doesn't.  So I just asked that it not be done, or be done differently to get the desired effect. Posted by heatherv1211[/QUOTE]

I LOVED the moxa stuff.  Seriously.  There was no pain for me at all with that.  It was a powdery substance that she put on my skin in a little pile.  She then lit a stick of incense, and used the incense to "burn" the moxa.  I felt this incredible warmth just permeate my body wherever she used it, and it was so comforting and relaxing. 

I carry all my stress and tension in my shoulders, mostly in my right shoulder, so it's always bunching up and knotting.  She'd use that on my shoulder every single visit.  I looked forward to it!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Thanks Prill, Heather and Rap. I live right near Mt. Auburn, so I will give them a call, and I will check out those sites, too.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

[QUOTE]Does anyone know of a good acupuncturist (sp?) in the Boston area? I suffer from bad headaches, borderline migraines, and am at my whits end. Medicine is not helping. I have an appointment with a massage therapist who is going to do trigger point therapy on me, and an appointment with a chiropractor. I would also like to try acupuncture, as well. I'm think that alternative medicine may help. Also, I am not afraid of needles at all, but does it hurt? I had to call out of work today for a severe headache :( Thanks!
    Posted by lizinboston[/QUOTE]

Liz, I'm sure you already know what I'm going to tell you here since we've already discussed it on FB...go with the chiropractor!  Make sure you find a good one though.  I went to one a few years ago for a bulging disc in my back, and he was arrogant and useless.  The guy I go to now is AMAZING.  I went in at the end of August for neck pain, he did a ton of testing, and found two very severe issues with my cervical spine.  I've been getting adjusted 2-3 times a week, the pain is gone, and I have not had ONE migraine since I started seeing him.

I don't know much about acupuncture, but I've heard good things about it.  I'd say try it and see what it does for you!  As far as massage therapists, they do help but for me it's mostly temporary.  Feels great and worth the money though.  :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Yes, I have an appt. with a chiropractor and a massage therapist on Friday, but I am going to try everything! I am DONE with this...they are debilitating, and I am currently home from work with an awful headache. Literally pounding :( And to top it all off, daytime TV s*cks, I mean, I am watching Sesame Street...pretty sad...

Grrr....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Hi Liz,

I'm so sorry you aren't feeling well!  Headaches that bad sounds really awful.  I had acupuncture once (FI made me do it!).  I *hate* needles and I have to say, I barely felt them.  The strangest part was knowing they were in me (for like 20 mins) and once in a while if I moved it would pinch a little.  But it wasn't bad.  It was actually kind of a nice, relaxing experience.  Though for the same price, I'd rather have a massage.

Anyway, sorry I can't be more helpful!  Just wanted to assure you it is not painful.  Feel better!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

I don't know about acupuncture, but my tattoo didn't hurt at all, and they used needles for that.  It's on a bony area, which is supposed to hurt more, but I just felt a not-unpleasant warmth and tingling.

Hope that helps (but it probably doesn't).