OT - Best, most unique, touching, downright crazy or absurd observation that you've ever made at a wedding?!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Re: OT - Best, most unique, touching, downright crazy or absurd observation that you've ever made at a wedding?!

In Response to Re: OT - Best, most unique, touching, downright crazy or absurd observation that you've ever made at a wedding?!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: OT - Best, most unique, touching, downright crazy or absurd observation that you've ever made at a wedding?! : LOL, Heather! That movie was awful, but it's ok...we still love you! :)
    Posted by Sept2010Bride[/QUOTE]

I prefer awful movies.  Cool

My favorite thing about Lake Placid was that, when it came out, it was a horror movie.  Then, when it was released on video, it was advertised as "a brilliant spoof of a horror movie."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ariel81916. Show Ariel81916's posts

Re: OT - Best, most unique, touching, downright crazy or absurd observation that you've ever made at a wedding?!

Absurd/crazy - #1 the bride lying in her wedding vows (they wrote their own).

#2 (different wedding) The step-brother of the groom not making it through the ceremony because he'd had too much to drink the night before. Fortunately, though, his sister's daughter started crying, so she quietly stepped out of the church - and he followed her out, then one of the ushers jumped up and took his spot with the groomsmen. Most everyone assumed he was being a good brother, not completely hung-over. The bride and groom had no idea until the recessional.

Lake Placid also hosted the Winter Olympics in 1932. Their rink complex has both the '32 rink and the '80 rink - it's amazing how tiny the '32 one is! Hardly any spectator room at all. (It's pretty much the place for youth hockey tournaments in the Northeast - can't tell you how many times my parents have driven up there for one of my sibs.)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

In Response to Re: OT - Best, most unique, touching, downright crazy or absurd observation that you've ever made at a wedding?!:
    [QUOTE]Absurd/crazy - #1 the bride lying in her wedding vows (they wrote their own).
    Posted by Ariel81916[/QUOTE]

Intriguing - what did she lie about?  Something minor, or something important like promising to love, honor, and obey while secretly sleeping with the best man?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ariel81916. Show Ariel81916's posts

She told a highly revisionist story of how they got together (the real story involves being engaged to another man while hooking up at the workplace). It was the only wedding I've ever seen without getting misty-eyed at the vows, because I was focusing all of my energy on keeping myself composed (don't have much of a poker face).

In the grand scheme of things, it's minor - but why bring it up at all? No one would thought anything was left out. Incidentally, they also skipped the whole if-anyone-objects part of the ceremony.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Do they really do the whole "if anyone objects" thing anymore??

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scorpio75. Show Scorpio75's posts

[QUOTE]Do they really do the whole "if anyone objects" thing anymore??
    Good question....thinking back I don't remember if it was in our ceremony or not, but I am leaning towards it not being in there.  And as point of reference I was pretty into incorporating a lot of traditions, like the wearing the blusher veil, having my Dad walk me down the aisle, I had the whole something old, new, borrowed, blue and the sixpence in my shoe.  I had a garter, but we didn't do the toss at the reception it was just for the two of us.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Most interesting: I was a bridesmaid in a friend's wedding 2 years ago. I had never met one of the other bridesmaids until the day before the wedding. At the wedding, this girl got completely trashed and asked me to accompany her to the restroom, where she proceed to take off her underpants and hand them to me.

Sweetest: My cousin surprised his bride at the reception by singing and playing (guitar) a song her wrote for her.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I didn't. If I had it would have sounded something like "If anyone objects to this union be prepared to fight the bride right here, right now."

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

What in the world did you do with them?

Man, all the weddings I have been to have been so boring!  I have one in 2 weeks, maybe I'll have an interesting story from that one!

[QUOTE]Most interesting: I was a bridesmaid in a friend's wedding 2 years ago. I had never met one of the other bridesmaids until the day before the wedding. At the wedding, this girl got completely trashed and asked me to accompany her to the restroom, where she proceed to take off her underpants and hand them to me.
    Posted by cicirose[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

[QUOTE]What in the world did you do with them? Man, all the weddings I have been to have been so boring!  I have one in 2 weeks, maybe I'll have an interesting story from that one! In Response to Re: OT - Best, most unique, touching, downright crazy or absurd observation that you've ever made at a wedding?! :
    Posted by trex509[/QUOTE]

Luckily they were the kind that s*cks in your stomach so they were really big. I just grabbed them by the top and gave them to her BF and told him that he might want to take her home.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: OT - Best, most unique, touching, downright crazy or absurd observation that you've ever made at a wedding?! : Luckily they were the kind that s*cks in your stomach so they were really big. I just grabbed them by the top and gave them to her BF and told him that he might want to take her home.

lol, was he like, "Um...thanks. Yeah, just another Saturday night out! You should've seen her at Scholdenflutz-Smorf wedding!"

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: OT - Best, most unique, touching, downright crazy or absurd observation that you've ever made at a wedding?! : Luckily they were the kind that s*cks in your stomach so they were really big. I just grabbed them by the top and gave them to her BF and told him that he might want to take her home.
    I would have put them on her head and sent her back out to the reception, LOL!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

lol!

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: OT - Best, most unique, touching, downright crazy or absurd observation that you've ever made at a wedding?! : I would have put them on her head and sent her back out to the reception, LOL!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Hmmmm I've been to 5 weddings this year and I don't think I've heard it once!  I wrote our own ceremony and completely forgot, not that I would have put it in.

At one of the weddings we went to, in a church, the priest didn't even say "I now pronounce you husband and wife" or "You may kiss the bride."  The end of the ceremony was kind of awkward because the groom was looking around like, Am I allowed to kiss her now??  It was cute though.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

How funny!  I was at a wedding last year and the priest also never did the "you may now kiss the bride".  He pronounced them married and then they walked out.  I didn't even realize it until I heard people talking about it later!  I saw the wedding video though and I could see the bride and groom looked a little confused.  I wonder if he just forgot...

The photographer got an amazing photo of them kissing right as they exited the church!  It was so sweet!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

I've been to two weddings this year where they forgot the "You may now kiss the bride" part as well.  Do you think when I talk with our priest in the upcoming months I should specify that I want that included?

Also, I was at a wedding where the priest's entire homily was about divorce. It didn't seem like the time or the place to have a discussion about divorce and he went as far as to say that relationships nowadays were "over-sexed." I'm pretty positive most jaws dropped on that one!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

yikes!
    My mom had to quietly excuse herself from a ceremony because the priest was going on and on about how "a wife must obey her husband," and obey this and obey that, and subserviant and "bend to his will" She just couldn't stand to hear it.
    Apparently it became quite the joke at the reception "Hey  Linda- don't forget to bend to his will!"

[QUOTE]I've been to two weddings this year where they forgot the "You may now kiss the bride" part as well.  Do you think when I talk with our priest in the upcoming months I should specify that I want that included? Also, I was at a wedding where the priest's entire homily was about divorce. It didn't seem like the time or the place to have a discussion about divorce and he went as far as to say that relationships nowadays were "over-sexed." I'm pretty positive most jaws dropped on that one!
    Posted by clc51510[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

[QUOTE]Most interesting: I was a bridesmaid in a friend's wedding 2 years ago. I had never met one of the other bridesmaids until the day before the wedding. At the wedding, this girl got completely trashed and asked me to accompany her to the restroom, where she proceed to take off her underpants and hand them to me. Posted by cicirose[/QUOTE]

I just snorted very loudly at work!!  What on EARTH did she want you to DO with them??

ETA: Sorry - I posted before reading your response, cici.  I guess the suck-you-in panties were just too much for her in her intoxicated state! 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I would def. ask the priest to specifically say 'you may now kiss the bride" or "I now pronounce you man and wife'.  Our priest did neither and DH and I were kind of standing on the alter like 'huh".  We both kind of muttered to each other 'do we kiss now?'.  We ended up kissing during the exchange of peace but otherwise, there would have been no opportunity. It was kind of weird. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

do most people not know what their officiant is going to say?
    Our friend who officiated didn't tell us everything, but he told us how he'd end it and when we should kiss.
    I just couldn't imagine not knowing that beforehand.
    I guess it just goes to show that these are questions you have to ask your officiant.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

[QUOTE]do most people not know what their officiant is going to say? Our friend who officiated didn't tell us everything, but he told us how he'd end it and when we should kiss. I just couldn't imagine not knowing that beforehand. I guess it just goes to show that these are questions you have to ask your officiant.
    Posted by pinkkittie27[/QUOTE]

We knew almost word for word.  He gave us a print out of what he was going to say and we went over it several times during out premarital counseling.  The only part we didn't know was when he addressed us...he wrote up a few words to say about us as a couple, etc etc.  It was really nice.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

I don't ever remember hearing the officiant ask if anyone objects. Maybe they did but since no one objected I never noticed. I just thought they didn't do that anymore.

Along the lines of the divorce speech, at the same wedding with the drunk bridesmaid, the DJ thought it would be a good idea to play that "Before He Cheats" song. At the BEGINNING of the night no less. Everyone was appalled.

ETA: the drunk bridesmaid was SO embarrassed about the underwear incident that the bride didn't hear from her for about a year! and has yet to see her...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from miss-cellaneousJones. Show miss-cellaneousJones's posts

At the same cousins' wedding that I mentioned in my original post this also happened...During the rehearsal at the church the priest was running through some of his speaking parts that would be included in the ceremony and when he got to the end he said he would pronounce them as "and now I pronounce you husband and wife, you may kiss". At that point my cousin asked him if it would be okay if he worded that final pronouncement as " and now I pronounce you Mr. & Mrs. Grooms' last name"...the priest said "absolutely not, that is not how I do it, and that's just how it is"...I thought the groom was going to kill him!!! Cousins face got beet red and tears welled up in her eyes...even the best man chimed in and asked "wait, why not" again?  The priest just dismissed him and even raised his voice the second time reciting the same "reasons". IMO, Power trip. Big time. B&G weren't "members" of this particular church and therefore he was not about to tweak his ramblings one bit for their special day...JERK!?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

how awful. and he probably didn't want to change it because he gives the same speech every time and wouldn't remember any new changes.

[QUOTE]At the same cousins' wedding that I mentioned in my original post this also happened...During the rehearsal at the church the priest was running through some of his speaking parts that would be included in the ceremony and when he got to the end he said he would pronounce them as "and now I pronounce you husband and wife, you may kiss". At that point my cousin asked him if it would be okay if he worded that final pronouncement as " and now I pronounce you Mr. & Mrs. Grooms' last name"...the priest said "absolutely not, that is not how I do it, and that's just how it is"...I thought the groom was going to kill him!!! Cousins face got beet red and tears welled up in her eyes...even the best man chimed in and asked "wait, why not" again?  The priest just dismissed him and even raised his voice the second time reciting the same "reasons". IMO, Power trip. Big time. B&G weren't "members" of this particular church and therefore he was not about to tweak his ramblings one bit for their special day...JERK!?
    Posted by miss-cellaneousJones[/QUOTE]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[QUOTE]how awful. and he probably didn't want to change it because he gives the same speech every time and wouldn't remember any new changes. In Response to Re: OT - Best, most unique, touching, downright crazy or absurd observation that you've ever made at a wedding?! :
    Posted by pinkkittie27[/QUOTE]

Or maybe he was worried about saying it wrong?  With 200 people looking at me, I am at risk of mispronouncing my own name. 

Sections
Shortcuts