OT - Best, most unique, touching, downright crazy or absurd observation that you've ever made at a wedding?!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Re: OT - Best, most unique, touching, downright crazy or absurd observation that you've ever made at a wedding?!

The best man's wife fell down the stairs entering the church during the rehearsal and broke her foot in multiple places.  It was dark inside, not many lights, she was carrying my nephew, she was wearing heels - the rest is history.  They spent much of the night at our local hospital's emergency room. The next day she was at our wedding with her leg in a HUGE cast and in a wheelchair, but right on time.  She stayed for the entire reception, too.  She had to have surgery and took about 5 months to get even 1/2 better - it was a really bad break. 

So that's a crazy moment.

Touching?  I had my cousin (who is professionally trained) sing a song for my parents - the name of the song is engraved in their wedding rings. It was a complete surprise, and my DH and I knew when it was happening, so we could turn around and watch my parents' expressions as they listened to what they thought was just a pretty song, and then realized what the song was!  I shouldn't toot my own horn, but it was pretty cool that we pulled it off!  Had to research the music, set it up with the organist, send the music to my cousin who learned it in advance, blah blah.  My mother is impossible to surprise but it worked this time!

Now, all the weddings I've been to aren't that crazy - a few drunken guests when I was in my 20s, but no underwear-handing. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

Re: OT - Best, most unique, touching, downright crazy or absurd observation that you've ever made at a wedding?!

Okay, doesn't compare to your stories, but I have a little kiss-the-bride story. Our rabbi said the "you may kiss the bride" line, and the glass was stomped.  And then the rabbi said that to my husband that he could do it again (I forget the exact wording).  My husband thought he was supposed to stomp the glass again (apparently he was disappointed by the lack of dramatic popping sound), so he gave it another vigorous stomp, and then the rabbi said, "No, I meant you could kiss again".  Everyone laughed.  We got in another kiss, and then happily recessed.  :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

I'm so focused on the crazy/absurd I forgot about the touching part!  I sang a song to my DH, one that I felt summed up our relationship pretty well.  He had no idea and was floored.  couldn't speak for about 20 minutes.  (hopefully not because it was awful!)  I almost chickened out because I don't like to sing in front of people, let alone just about everyone I know.  But his reaction made me really glad I went through with it. 

Another touching/funny moment - I was MOH in my good friend's wedding several years back.  She also sang to her DH, a very touching, loving song, and in the middle of it, her petticoat started falling off!!  She stopped and was like, "Ooh, my petticoat's falling off!" then took her foot and just sort of flung it off to the side and kept singing!  In front of about 250 guests.  Was so funny.

ETA: now reading it, my first paragraph seems very self-absorbed!  sorry.  Embarassed

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

My friend's dad is a musician, and at her wedding he wrote a song (the title of it was her name), then played guitar and sang it to her during the ceremony. omg, I started crying immediately.

I didn't realize that priests chose their own wording for the ceremony; we wrote out the whole ceremony, word by word, then submitted it to our JP. He didn't say "kiss the bride," but we decided that we would just kiss after he did the "By the power vested in me by the state of NH, I now pronounce you husband and wife."

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

maybe the priest omits the "I now pronounce you Mr. and Mrs. Jones" part to avoid problems with those who are not taking the husband's name. 

Or maybe he can just pronounce them as married, and can't officially pronounce what their names are....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

A former priest now hospice manager does some weddings as a JP over the Vt line from us, and someone who used to be in his Episcopal (or  Anglican)  congregation / parish asked him to do their wedding as a jp.  At the wedding rehearsal, my DH the best man cracked up.   JP said,  this is where I say, I now pronounce you man and wife.  Without missing a beat, the B to B said, I've already made a man of him.  All you can do is make him my husband.
         So at the wedding they were pronounced, husband and wife.

I thought they stopped doing man and wife years ago.  Most always now I have seen, H & W.  Also,most rehearsals I have been to, any officiant who has not had lengthy meetings with the couple asks how to introduce them, and puts a crib sheet in his book.
         People get really miffed if they are announced-  I now present,  Mr.  Edgar Poe and Ms.  Annibel Lee, husband and wife  />  if they want Mr. and Mrs. Edgar Poe, and vice versa. 

CT.DC - points for finding the gift for someone who has everything-  a really touching moment for your parents.

Sections
Shortcuts