OT- Bumblebees

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Re: OT- Bumblebees

Bumblebees aren't generally aggressive; they'll only sting you in their defense. The thing is, they don't have normal stingers like other bees so they can keep stinging because the stinger doesn't fall out. 

And that's the extent of my useless knowledge for today. Not sure how to get rid of them, other than finding their hive and transplanting it. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

Hey Alf,

I think those are carpenter bees, not bumble bees (bumble bees are really small, carpenter look the same but are large and kinda fuzzy).  They build their nest in wood, so there could be a nest in your house or wood around your house.

They don't sting, they look much scarier than they are.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I agree with dkb that you pobably have a nest in or near your porch.

If they are bumblebees, bumblebees build their hives underground, so look for it and be careful.
    My grandmother went looking for the bumblebee nest near her house and ended up ankle-deep in it.

when/if you find the nest, RAID for bees and wasps will work.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

bumble bee:

carpenter bee:

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

I haven't seen a carpenter bee since I moved here...I didn't think they were in the Northeast.

They are harmless, and the male bees don't even have a stinger.  You're not supposed to kill them because of the environmental issues due to pollinator decline.  They don't cause structural damage either.  If your house is painted chances are there isn't a nest these because they don't like paint.  If you find where they are coming from, paint can help deter them from nesting there. 

We had them at our home in Georgia...there was a nest in the wood around our flowerbeds...never had any issues with them.  

I know way too much about these bees.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

We do have carpenter bees here; they LOVE our clover...I mean our lawn. ;)  We're getting honeybees this year!

ALF, sorry I don't have anything to help with your problem.  The big, furry, loudly buzzing bees that I, until today, also called bumble bees leave me totally alone in the backyard.  I walk right through them and have never been stung or even (to my knowledge) noticed.

GL!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sher. Show sher's posts

we had carpenter bees and they were nesting in our eaves! had to have them replaced with plastic. they are come back every spring looking for a new place to drill and nest. they do divebomb but don't sting. i have no advice since our ridding their nests (over 2 years ago!!) did nothing but make them more visible.

good luck alf!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

In Response to Re: OT- Bumblebees:
    I haven't seen a carpenter bee since I moved here...I didn't think they were in the Northeast. They are harmless, and the male bees don't even have a stinger.  You're not supposed to kill them because of the environmental issues due to pollinator decline.  They don't cause structural damage either.  If your house is painted chances are there isn't a nest these because they don't like paint.  If you find where they are coming from, paint can help deter them from nesting there.  We had them at our home in Georgia...there was a nest in the wood around our flowerbeds...never had any issues with them.   I know way too much about these bees.
    Posted by dkb6248

I understand that it's not best to kill them, but I kill spiders all the time even though I know I shouldn't. If something really bothers you or scares you, sometimes that has to come first.
    People can be allergic to bees. Even if the poor bumble bee gets stepped ona nd that's the only reason it stings, it could still be a big danger to someone with an allergy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

In Response to Re: OT- Bumblebees : I understand that it's not best to kill them, but I kill spiders all the time even though I know I shouldn't. If something really bothers you or scares you, sometimes that has to come first. People can be allergic to bees. Even if the poor bumble bee gets stepped ona nd that's the only reason it stings, it could still be a big danger to someone with an allergy.
    Posted by pinkkittie27

I was referring to carpenter bees, not bumblebees.  I'm not damning anyone who has ever killed a bee or is afraid of them, I was merely pointing out that carpenter bees pose no threat and there are other ways to deter them without killing them.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

no no. I know. I know you're not damning anyone.

I'm just saying if a homeowner wants to eradicate a certain insect, any insect, from their home or lawn, they should be able to.

if only the male bees lack stingers- I thought the majority of bees were female?
    I know male honeybees also lack stingers, but all worker honeybees are female.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

no no. I know. I know you're not damning anyone. I'm just saying if a homeowner wants to eradicate a certain insect, any insect, from their home or lawn, they should be able to. if only the male bees lack stingers- I thought the majority of bees were female? I know male honeybees also lack stingers, but all worker honeybees are female.
    Posted by pinkkittie27

Yes, for carpenter bees too, most are female.

My basic point was that bee populations are declining, they are vital for cross pollination, plants depend on them for their reproduction, no bees = no life, etc etc.  I suppose a homeowner is can eradicate an insect from their home or lawn (although it's impossible to completely eradicate them, even with termites) but without bees and other insects they wouldn't have much plant life.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

eliminating a nest from your property doesn't mean no bees will enter your property.
    I can completely understand why someone wouldn't want a bee's nest in or around their porch.
    Even with non-aggressive bees, being right near their hive is a dangerous place to be.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

Yes, I get that.  But again, I was originally referring to carpenter bees who do not have hives and typically live alone in small holes in wood.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

and even then I can understand why you wouldn't want them living in your porch.

when I was growing up we had a skunk that lived under our porch. we didn't mind it and our cats are indoor cats, so we just left him be rather than have to deal with animal control. None of us ever had a problem or got sprayed.
    However, if someone else had one living under their porch and decided call animal control to get rid of it, I'd completely understand why.
    It's your home and you don't have to let anythign live in it that you don't want there.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

You really can take ANY topic and turn it into an argument.

Why kill something that isn't harmful?  Buying a home doesn't make you God within the borders of your land, and skunks are not becoming and endangered species.

Alf, good luck.  I'm done.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scorpio75. Show Scorpio75's posts

We had a carpenter bee issue with our condo, and the pest company we had come out to deal with them confirmed they were carpenter bees and not bumble bees. They said there is no reason not to get rid of them, but if they were honey bees they would then sub contract out for a bee keeper to come in and remove the hive and bees and re locate but not kill them.

The difference was the honey bee is the one that is on the declient according to the pest company. 

On a related note I have jellow jackets in my attic that I am trying to get rid of.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

---You really can take ANY topic and turn it into an argument.---

I have no idea, to whom you were responding, but I think it was a really nasty response. Reading all the posts, I do not feel anyone were argumentative.

For Alf, I found this for you:
    http://www.pestproducts.com/bumble-bee-control.htm

I have always been taught to leave the Bumblebees alone, and they will not harm you. But I never heard of the carpenter bees until now. We are dealing with Hornets, that keep building nests under the railing on our deck. And believe me they can be nasty. We have Raid permanently sitting near our slider.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I'm not trying to start an argument!!
    When did I become some bad guy that everyone tries to shut up??

Flamingos aren't harmful. I still wouldn't want one living in my house.
    That's all!
    white rhinos are endangered, I still wouldn't want one living in my porch!
    that's my point!
    I didn't say she had to kill them. The only reason I mention RAID is because it's the only thing I know gets rid of bees.

You really can take ANY topic and turn it into an argument. Why kill something that isn't harmful?  Buying a home doesn't make you God within the borders of your land, and skunks are not becoming and endangered species. Alf, good luck.  I'm done.
    Posted by dkb6248

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

thank you pingo.

the problem with calling someone argumentative is that they cannot even defend themselves, beause saying "No, I'm not" is an argument in itself. So it leaves you stuck and defenseless.
    It's a "gotcha" accusation.
    And it really, really hurt my feelings.

---You really can take ANY topic and turn it into an argument.--- I have no idea, to whom you were responding, but I think it was a really nasty response. Reading all the posts, I do not feel anyone were argumentative. For Alf, I found this for you: http://www.pestproducts.com/bumble-bee-control.htm I have always been taught to leave the Bumblebees alone, and they will not harm you. But I never heard of the carpenter bees until now. We are dealing with Hornets, that keep building nests under the railing on our deck. And believe me they can be nasty. We have Raid permanently sitting near our slider.
    Posted by pingo

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

I'm sorry, Pink.  I also thought you were arguing for the death and destruction of all animals on your property.  I was also very confused as to why you were making that argument.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I love the scorched Earth method of landscaping. It's very post-modern.

I'm sorry, Pink.  I also thought you were arguing for the death and destruction of all animals on your property.  I was also very confused as to why you were making that argument.
    Posted by lucy7368

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

I disagree that telling someone they are argumentative is a “nasty” thing to say.

Pink – sorry dude.  It seemed argumentative to me and that obviously wasn’t your intention.  I wasn’t trying to make you the bad guy, and I really wasn’t trying to insult you.  I really do think you were meant to be a lawyer.  Anyway, sorry if I offended you.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

I love the scorched Earth method of landscaping. In Response to Re: OT- Bumblebees :
    Posted by pinkkittie27

You have to remember - I am trained to argue anything, whether I agree with it or not.  I sometimes forget that normal people don't do that.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

but being argumentative is arguing for arguing's sake.
    if that were the case I'd just go about posting the exact opposite of what everyone else was saying. I don't do that. You know I don't do that.
    I don't say something unless I mean it. I'm honest, and I can be blunt.

I only continue a discussion if I truly feel the other party is missing my point.
    and that happens a lot, mostly because people read things into my posts that aren't there. Which is what I think happened here. This happens because people make assumptions about me and my tone so it's very hard for me to make any point without someone jumping down my throat about it.
    Even if someone else picks an argument with me, I get blamed for it because I dare to defend myself or my opinion.
    I just can't win!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I wouldn't mind a flamingo in my house... although their red eyes freak me out a bit.