OT - Christmas Gifts

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

OT - Christmas Gifts

So, we know what everyone wants for Christmas, but what did everyone buy for their SO/family/friends this year?  I have most of my shopping done, but still need a few more gift ideas.  I'm sure I can steal some of yours.  Smile

So far, I got my DH a new Pats jersey and a Blu-ray that he wanted.  I made wedding albums on MyPublisher for my parents and my MIL, and framed some wedding pictures for my grandparents.  My younger cousins and nieces are getting the clothes and/or toys that they wanted.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Re: OT - Christmas Gifts

DH wanted a digital photo frame, so I got him that.  I also got him some books I know he'll love, a yoga mat [he's starting a class in Jan b/c he has a bad back], jogging stuff [some weird light for his head that he wanted, a safety vest and safety stripes - hey, he asked for them], and other odds and ends.  Dang, it sounds pretty lame. I'd better do some more shopping......

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

A Sonicare toothbrush (his broke) a month ago, a couple of books (he likes me to read to him), a wooden plaque for the house that espouses the joy of being quiet and listening for God's leading (he built this home out here in the wilderness for a reason), slippers to replace ones he bought that are too short that he has to fold the backs down to wear, a thermometer to stick to the kitchen window to replace one that has never been accurate (he's a weather buff and it really bugs him that it's wrong).

ALF, you can't possibly still think your list is lame, now. :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

oooo you just reminded me I need picture frames.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

I got FI a Zune HD. He's been talking about it since before they came out and now that WBCN is only in HD radio, it seems like a good purchase. I told him that it's his combined engagement/Christmas present since it's almost twice what we normally spend on each other.

Everyone else is getting a sweater ;-)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

DH- warm socks for snowboarding, Assassin's creed II, and a thermal shirt also for snowboarding.

Sister-charm for her bracelet that's my niece's birthstone, and a subscription to RR

Dad-gift card to Bass Pro Shop (he's pretty easy to buy for in that sense)

Mom-a Snowbaby (DH actually saw this and bought it for her!)

Niece-Savings bond and toys

I'm just about done with my shopping this year, woohoo! Now i just need to get my Christmas cards out. They're all written but i ran out of stamps. So the ones headed to Alaska are headed out today and the rest tomorrow.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Some dvds, two sweaters from Banana, a crockpot (loves cooking) three crockpot cook books, and a new Fossil watch (his has been broken for over a year)

Ok...my class is back from recess!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

This year is my first Christmas home since I moved, so virtually everyone is getting cheap, tacky Boston crap.  I did most of my Christmas shopping while walking through the North End to get to the T after work.  It was wonderful.

My best friend is getting hot pink jammies with penguins on them, and they are awesome.  Cool  She's been to Boston, and I sent her a sweatshirt for her birthday last year, so she's exempt.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

DH- money towards fixing the car & a cooking class in march

Mom- a cute courdoroy jacket and a dress from H&M

Dad- A sweater, because the man seriously doesn't buy clothes and wears sweaters with holes in them, so I always get him sweaters.

Stepdad- DVD of The Hangover, he loves those dude movies

Brother- Batman: Year One graphic novel

MIL- Earrings

FIL- Gourmet whole leaf tea in handmade bags

BIL & his FI- a set of 4 high ball glasses, 4 tumblers and 4 wine glasses for their new apartment.

SIL & her SO- AMC giftcard

niece- dress up clothes

nephew- a Wally monster

Step-sister- a gas card for her new car

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

Pink, where is DH taking his cooking class?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

Pink - where did you get the tea?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

DH:  yet another set of screwdrivers since he tends to lose them over the course of the year AND strips all the phillips heads.  He got a GPS and a fancy dinner for his birthday last month, so no big things this year.  Some Patriots slippers.

MIL:  Got her tabletop tree from florist.  She'll get S+S and CVS gift cards for Xmas. 

BFF:  new office chair for her computer room -- thank you overstock.com

BFF's Mom:  Huggable Hangers!  (I want them, too!)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rapunzel41. Show Rapunzel41's posts

After our vacation and our engagement, plus the potential replacement of my ring, we're keeping things very small.

We're buying each other a Wii and one game each - something we will both use and can have fun with together.  (He has a PS3 but I hate it...  That controller is too complicated!)

We're then getting each other some smaller stuff.  He wants a refurbed iphone, so I'm adding him to my plan and getting that, plus some accessories and an itunes gift card.

He took care of his mom and her husband - a photo printer.

I took care of my mom & dad - a JetBlue gift card, so help defray some of the travel costs for all things wedding related.

Everything else is little stuff - Xmas grabs, etc.  Good thing too - I haven't started yet!  I just submitted my final paper last night, so I finally have some free time!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Friar- We'll actually be taking it together at BCAE. We want to learn how to cook chinese food, so we're taking the "Take Out Favorites" class

dkb- RueLaLa had a boutique of TeaForte tea boxes, so I got a $30 box of tea for $15 (I had a $20 on everyone this year). I got him Green Tango because he ALWAYS drinks green tea, but this has a little mango in it so it's a bit more special. www.teaforte.com

BTW- If anyone wants a membership to RueLaLa, private message me your email and I'll send you an invite. That website is awesome and has incredible deals on great stuff. It's not all expensive, either!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

FI: GC to Ticketmaster so he can go to a concert of his choosing, Garmin GPS, and some of his cologne.

Mom and Dad: GC to Morton's Steakhouse and Chili's, their fav restaurants...very different, I know!

FIL: Set of wine glasses they want.

Brother and his wife: GC to Bed, Bath and Beyond, they want some knife set, I will also include a 20% coupon.

Niece: American Girl Doll.

Nephew: due Jan 28th, bunch of baby clothes.

Friends: We are doing a sushi dinner on Monday instead of gifts this year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pink, that sounds like so much fun, and when you cook it yourself you know there isn't any MSG in it.  My father has taken so many Chinese cooking classes he's held classes as home parties for his friends.  He gets so much enjoyment from it, and it's all prepared so healthfully.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

BIL/SIL - "Game night" a new game we saw at Target and 2 boxes of Crunch and Munch

MIL- wine charms, a wine bottle opener with stoppers (she likes ours), bottle of red and bottle of white

FIL- New grill tools and set of 3 mild BBQ sauces

DH- Waffel iron, slippers, 9 inch spring form pan and a cheesecake recipe from a co-worker :)  He really liked it at the party so she gave me the copy and he doesn't know it yet.

Nieces- one got a puppy vet thing with a stuffed animal and a doctor/vet bag, the other got craft kits to make butterfly things (she is all about the butterfly).

Nephew - a toy truck with tools so he can take it apart and put it back together again, he loves trucks and tools.

That is just my DH's side of the family. Laughing

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

If you want good loose tea, check out Upton Tea Imports in Hopkinton, MA. 

There's also a place in Portsmouth, NH that has good loose tea. I can't remember the name of it [something Italian]. They have lots of cooking stuff, oils, wine, tea, soaps, etc.  It's right on the corner by the municipal parking garage in the downtown restaurant section of Portsmouth, NH. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Oh man....I really need to start shopping. Thank God for Amazon.com and their gift wrap option! I am so lazy this year. I got so overwhelmed on the way to work on Tuesday that I started crying...how pathetic is that?? This time of year always does that to me!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

In Response to Re: OT - Christmas Gifts:
    Oh man....I really need to start shopping. Thank God for Amazon.com and their gift wrap option! I am so lazy this year. I got so overwhelmed on the way to work on Tuesday that I started crying...how pathetic is that?? This time of year always does that to me!
    Posted by Peonie

awww!  That's not pathetic, it happens to me every few months.  I always feel better after I cry.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I cry every Christmas from stress. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, you are not the only one. Every year, I ask myself, why am I getting so stressed out over something that should be so joyful. Still don't have an answer. It was never like that in "the old country". Are we Americans too strung out? Just wondering.

I cry every Christmas from stress. 
    Posted by kargiver

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

Kar, you are not the only one. Every year, I ask myself, why am I getting so stressed out over something that should be so joyful. Still don't have an answer. It was never like that in "the old country". Are we Americans too strung out? Just wondering. In Response to Re: OT - Christmas Gifts :
    Posted by pingo

You may be but I am not. 
    (this next part is in general and not directed at any particular person)

I am sadly amused by the volume of people that say Christmas is too commercial and then yet turn around and say they get stressed and buy buy buy.  If you have the resources to buy buy buy and that makes you happy go for it.  But if you do not then don't and don't feel guilty about it.

I like to give gifts and fully understand the process of budgeting because essentially Christmas can turn into a "big ticket item" like a TV.  Most people budget and save for that because they know it is coming up.  I do the same for Christmas I know roughly what I want to spend and save a few dollars each month and create my own Christmas club via ING. 

Perhaps I am more tuned into the independant nature of America, and the pioneers forging ahead to do what makes them happy and being good to neighbors but not keeping up with the Joneses.  If you are stressed at this time of year then adjust what you do.  It will take time to re-train others what to expect of you and that if you decide to give less gifts next year  and you think others will feel you are scrooge etc start in January re-training their thought process. 

Christmas is not about the gifts even if they are fun.  I am not advocating not giving gifts because I give and receive and love every minute of it.  I however don't let advertisers and businesses make me feel like a scrooge if I don't want to spend all my money on frivolous things. 

I will get off my soap box and close with a line from my favorite Christmas story and movie.  "It came without ribbons. It came without tags. It came without packages, boxes or bags. And he puzzled and puzzled 'till his puzzler was sore. Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before. What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store? What if Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more?"

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

My stress this time of year generally comes from:
    1.  Dealing with the general public when I go shopping (especially when, say, I need toothpaste and there are 200 people at CVS).
    2.  Finding the time to shop, wrap, etc. while working a job that is often more than full time.
    3.  Worrying that people won't like what I got them.

For me, it's not really about the money.  I buy what I can afford, and I trim my gifts list to the bare minimum.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Kar, you are not the only one. Every year, I ask myself, why am I getting so stressed out over something that should be so joyful. Still don't have an answer. It was never like that in "the old country". Are we Americans too strung out? Just wondering. In Response to Re: OT - Christmas Gifts :
    Posted by pingo

I LOVE Christmas.  I understand getting stressed out by dealing w/ idiots at the mall and mall traffic, but I never get stressed over the holiday. Just put on some Christmas songs [you know there is at least 1 station that plays them continuously from Thanksgiving onward].  How can you be stressed listenting to Dino sing Baby, it's Cold Outside?  Seriously!  [that's my favorite non-religious Christmas song]. Then there are the pies, cookies, tree decorations, etc. It's fun!  Okay, standing in line at the post office isn't, but imagining the looks on people's faces when they open the stuff you are standing in line to send them is.  Don't stress!  Have some mulled wine and  find a fire to sit in front of. 

I don't think it's an American thing to get stressed. I think individuals in every country can get stressed over the holidays b/c of money or family relations, but the holiday itself should not stress you out. 

Sections
Shortcuts