OT - Christmas Gifts

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Re: OT - Christmas Gifts

I used to get that way. That's why I start my shopping in October now. I know that if I wait until the commercials and music are all around me that I'll have a melt-down.
    and I set my budget way in advance. This year it was $20pp. I keep track as I go along, so if what I got for my brother was perfect but only $15 it means I can move that $5 to someone else's gift if I see somethign perfect but it's $25 or $30.

I'm with Alf, though. The gift-shopping was what stressed me out, but I LOVE Christmas. It's my favorite time of year. That's another reason I start my shopping in October, so that by the time the season is upon me, I can relax and fully enjoy it.
    I just wrapped all the gifts last night and separated them into two bags, one for DH's family and one for mine. Now I'm so excited I can hardly stand it.

BTW- what's up with the lack of good holiday programming?? The only thing Christmas-y on last night was a terrible Saturday Night Live clip show! It makes no sense when Rudolph and evrything else was on the week after Thanksgiving.
    I miss "The Year Without a Santa Claus" and "Little Drummer Boy" and "The Grinch WSC"

In Response to Re: OT - Christmas Gifts:
    Oh man....I really need to start shopping. Thank God for Amazon.com and their gift wrap option! I am so lazy this year. I got so overwhelmed on the way to work on Tuesday that I started crying...how pathetic is that?? This time of year always does that to me!
    Posted by Peonie

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

Wendy, I think you make some excellent points.  DH and I really had to adjust our spending this year after buying a condo last month.  We got a little more creative with gifts, but didn't spend nearly as much. 

And Lucy, totally agree with you -- there's nothing worse than the overcrowded stores, especially when you just want to pop in and pick up a necessity like toothpaste!

100% of my holiday stress comes from deciding where to go and who to see on Christmas.  This year has been even more difficult, because it's our first year as a married couple and everyone is expecting both of us to show up everywhere.  We're spending Christmas Day together with my family, but on Christmas Eve I think he's going to see his family while I see mine.  Looks like I get to keep some of my sanity after all.  :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

BTW- what's up with the lack of good holiday programming?? The only thing Christmas-y on last night was a terrible Saturday Night Live clip show! It makes no sense when Rudolph and evrything else was on the week after Thanksgiving. I miss "The Year Without a Santa Claus" and "Little Drummer Boy" and "The Grinch WSC" In Response to Re: OT - Christmas Gifts :
    Posted by pinkkittie27

I hear you on the lack of programming, it has been happening for years now.  I have been building my own personal empire of Christmas movies as a result. Some of my favs from days gone by (all those Hanna Barbera cartoons) I cannot find on DVD.  This year I did catch the new Disney one "Prep and Landing" it was so good I want to own it.

I don't normally get into the stuff on ABC Family's station but I always make a note in November to check out their site they generally run all the good Christmas stuff.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

I don't normally get into the stuff on ABC Family's station but I always make a note in November to check out their site they generally run all the good Christmas stuff.
    Posted by wendy98

Last weekend, they aired Christmas in Handcuffs, starring Melissa Joan Hart and Slater from Saved by the Bell.  Awesome.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

I have a Christmas Club where I have a small amount from my paycheck direct deposited every week and then I get a sweet check every October from the bank. It's like playing with found money! I highly recommend it. I budget within the balance of that account. Sure, I go a little over every year, but it's not a huge deal.

The thing that stresses me out about the holidays is time. There's just never enough time to see everyone, decorate, wrap gifts, etc! It makes me crazy! Christmas Day is a complete blur with trying to see all four families. But we're lucky that we have four families that are close enough that we get to see them all at once, so I can't complain *too* much. It's just hard to enjoy it when you're watching the clock, trying to make sure you're not late for the next party.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Dh & I caught the end of "Prep & Landing" and we liked it too!

In Response to Re: OT - Christmas Gifts : I hear you on the lack of programming, it has been happening for years now.  I have been building my own personal empire of Christmas movies as a result. Some of my favs from days gone by (all those Hanna Barbera cartoons) I cannot find on DVD.  This year I did catch the new Disney one "Prep and Landing" it was so good I want to own it. I don't normally get into the stuff on ABC Family's station but I always make a note in November to check out their site they generally run all the good Christmas stuff.
    Posted by wendy98

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Because of upcoming wedding related expenses FI and I decided to scale back this year on our presents to each other.  Instead of buying him actual presents I planned a day in the city:

(1) Boston Aquarium - we both love that place and he gets a discount on admissions for being a teacher!

(2) Sam Adam's brewery tour - $2 suggested donation, so pretty much free, plus several samples of beer, he'll be a happy man!

(3) Dinner at Ciao Bella on Newbury St - that could get a little pricey but we will try to keep it reasonable

(4) Bowling at Kings with a bunch of friends - I don't exactly like bowling but FI loves it and because of me doesn't get to go often.  I've invited friends to join us so that he can enjoy his bowling and have a little competition while I enjoy the company of our friends (and keep my feet out of community shoes!).

I've bought a little something to symbolize each part of our day that he will unwrap on Christmas and he will have to guess what we will be doing!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm easily stressed.  Just planning a family dinner does it.  I actually enjoy cooking and entertaining to the hilt, but I get easily overwhelmed.  I have to just plug through the anxiety so I can enjoy the end result. 

As far as stressing over the presents, I don't really stress about paying for the gifts since DH and I decide how much I can spend (just not on him) and I stick to the budget.  What I stress about is each person liking the presents since I do all the picking and choosing for DH's side of the family.  I also worry about jealousy.  For instance, I made a collage of Gracie's playing with her favorite toy and framed it for my BIL.  I wonder if the other siblings getting a sweatshirt, mixing bowls, etc. will be hurt that I didn't do something so personal for them as art I made myself.

Here's the collage, by the way.  You can see her wanting to play in the top left and all done in bottom right. :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It moved to the right for some reason...oh, well.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

That's adorable, kar!  I love how dogs are always so happy to play outside and roll in the snow, and then, when they come inside, they sit so close to the fireplace they practically crawl inside it.  :-)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

What I stress about is each person liking the presents since I do all the picking and choosing for DH's side of the family.  I also worry about jealousy.  For instance, I made a collage of Gracie's playing with her favorite toy and framed it for my BIL.  I wonder if the other siblings getting a sweatshirt, mixing bowls, etc. will be hurt that I didn't do something so personal for them as art I made myself.
    Posted by kargiver

I wouldn't worry about the jealousy thing (I know easy to say and easy to think it but not as easy to internalize it).  But think of it this way will the other siblings appreciate something that you made or would they appreciate a sweatshirt or something else?  My guess is that if you thought that the other siblings would appreciate something hand made then you would have done it.  Or perhaps you start rotatings who gets a handmade, this year it was the BIL, maybe next year it is someone else.

I am not a fan of thinking of what to get for my DH's family and I am very lucky that he doesn't like to put it all on me.  But I start in on the planning early and he helps craft a list of possibilities and themes which makes it much easier to buy for them and I don't mind the shopping part if I know what I am getting. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Wendy, you called it.  I definitely think this BIL will particularly love this art, and the others wouldn't enjoy it so much and would want other things.  But, like you say, it's easier said than done to not worry about how things will be taken especially as a relatively new addition to their family.

DH is one of those well-meaning people who can only imagine getting gifts for other people (even his own family) that he wants himself so he's not really that much help especially for the women in the family!  LOL

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, ALF!  I didn't see your post at first. :)  I know, she LOVES it outside even at zero degrees, and right now she's sprawled out as close to the stove as the bricks allow.  Her fur is HOT!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Ahh, Kar...so cute! :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

I love Christmas! I used to get stressed out, but that was because of crazy family gatherings with people who aren't very nice. Since I moved here, I just see my parents and DH's family, and they're all awesome. 

Mom: candles, aromatherapy stuff
    Dad: some books
    DH: some books he wanted, shot glasses, and a new electric razor
    FIL: some war dvds that he wanted...I just get him what DH tells me to get him!
    MIL: some books
    SIL: shirts and sweaters
    SIL's BF: gift card to a hunting store

I love shopping and wrapping for everyone that I have to stop myself. Sipping chai and wrapping presents while listening to Carol of Bells really gets in me into the holidays. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

How bad is it that I got my brother a book for him and 3 super cute plush dog toys with squeakers for their hyper chocolate lab?  I was thinking I'd be thrilled to get anything that occupies Gracie so they would be, too...

Thanks, Peonie.  A lot of the artistic nature of the collage is lost online.  The real thing is framed and is a 16x20 poster.  I really hope he likes it.  He LOVES Gracie and asks about her all the time.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

okay, here's my hannukah/christmas list:
    for my husband: a photo album of our honeymoon pictures (he had fun taking a bazillion pictures with his fancy camera, but he has no patience for going through them--so I took care of it!) plus a stretched canvas of one of the scenery pics he took of a canal in Venice
    for one sister: waffle iron
    for the other sister: iPod alarm clock radio
    for my mom: panini press
    for my dad: juicer
    ...and for everyone to share, chocolate covered mango slices from hotel chocolat.  I guess my list is pretty short.
    I guess you can see that I am sharing my love of wonderful kitchen appliances.  But my family loves to cook, so I think they will appreciate it.
    I think the collage is cute kar!  I think he will really like it.  :)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

jas, you went all out!  I'm sure they will appreciate your gifts.  I have a juicer; we LOVE it.  I use it on our mint and apples every summer. 

Thanks - I wanted to give it to him today since I picked him up from the airport and brought him home where he was storing his truck on vaca.  But, the party is Sunday so we waited like big boys and girls...sighInnocent

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

How bad is it that I got my brother a book for him and 3 super cute plush dog toys with squeakers for their hyper chocolate lab? 
    Posted by kargiver

That's not too bad. One year for chrismas, DH's grandparents sent him hampster toys for christmas. So, his gifts were really for our two hampsters (at the time). :-)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hey, I guess it keeps them from having to buy more pet toys, right?  They're expensive!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

ha!  i can't take full credit, kar.  my sisters and i always colllaborate on the gifts.  it's more fun that way, and we can get everyone nicer things.  :)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

p.s. you make mint apple juice?  i'm intrigued.  I've never thought about that flavor combination!  :)  glad to hear you make good use of your juicer.  I think my dad will like it, but we don't have one, so I've never used one.  (we just have a hand press for citrus.  I like to make fresh OJ sometimes)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

---You may be but I am not. 
    (this next part is in general and not directed at any particular person)

I am sadly amused by the volume of people that say Christmas is too commercial and then yet turn around and say they get stressed and buy buy buy.  If you have the resources to buy buy buy and that makes you happy go for it.  But if you do not then don't and don't feel guilty about it.----

Wendy, I love Christmas just like you. I am not stressed out about the gift giving part of Christmas. I can control that by setting a budget and stick to it. I do start shopping at the end of the summer, when a lot of things goes on sale. I will never rush out and buy gifts, just because I have to. I think ahead, and buy stuff for whoever, when they are a good buy.
    But today - for example, I went out to get the last few things for our Christmas dinner. Most of the stuff I already have in the house, but there were a few things I had forgotten. Grocery shoppers were mean today. They were all running around like chickens w/o a head. Carts were pushed around and one could not get to the shelves. And the traffic was just awful. It took me 50 minutes to get back home from a trip that would normally take 10 minutes, passing two fender benders. Everyone are stressed out and rushing to where ever they are going.
    Hope you will have a nice stress less holiday season.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Pingo, you went to the grocery store on a Saturday and are blaming the craziness on Christmas?  That's par for the course on a Saturday at the grocery store. Plus, a storm is coming [it's snowing like the dickens down here in DC; we have over a foot at this point so you guys are in for one heck of a storm].  When I went to the grocery store on a Saturday it was ALWAYS like you described, even in summer. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

p.s. you make mint apple juice?  i'm intrigued.  I've never thought about that flavor combination!  :)  glad to hear you make good use of your juicer.  I think my dad will like it, but we don't have one, so I've never used one.  (we just have a hand press for citrus.  I like to make fresh OJ sometimes)
    Posted by jasmine09

It's really good, but it looks disgusting, LOL! 

Going in on gifts is a great idea.  I'd rather have something particularly nice than 3 things that are cheaper, generally speaking.

Sections
Shortcuts