OT - cleaning the shower curtain liner

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

OT - cleaning the shower curtain liner

Hi all,

I needs some tips for cleaning my shower curtain liner.  It is a fabric liner and I am going to throw it into the washing machine, but what should I wash it with?  There is some soap scum along the bottom and I'm not sure laundry detergent will get it out.

I appreciate any suggestions!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: OT - cleaning the shower curtain liner

Soap scum should come off with regular detergent and a hot water wash.  But, it wouldn't hurt to spray it with pre-wash; any should do the trick on soap scum. 

Definitely spray it first if you have hard water.  Ours, for instance, turns reddish on the bottom from the iron in the well water.

If it's mildew ridden, I'd soak it in a bleach solution to kill the mildew before washing and then also use bleach in the hot wash.  For the soak, see bleach label for dilution instructions.  If it's not white, test the bleach in an inconspicuous area for colorfastness.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Interesting Kar, is that why mine turn pink on the bottom - from iron?  We don't have well water though.  It's probably just some sort of mildew/mold.

We have plastic curtain liners and I usually just scrub with Fantastic and a sponge.  A friend of mine recommended washing the plastic ones in the washing machine.  Never occured to me, but I don't see why it couldn't be done in cold water.  My problem is that we have a claw foot tub and use 3-4 liners and I do not feel like taking them down and putting them back up!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

My shower gets red too and I'm pretty sure it is bacteria.  We don't have well water either.  I've heard this bacteria can make you sick, so once we see it, we clean it with bleach.

Hmmm... I'm not sure I'd want to put whatever is growing in my shower in my washing machine.  But I might be paranoid.  They say you can wash mops in the washing machine, but that also seems gross to me.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Yes, put them in the washing machine with hot water, a small amount of detergent, and bleach.  Throw in some old towels/rags - they help rub the crud off.

Anything pink, red, black, white, or green in mold. 

Or buy new ones at Christmas Tree Shop for a buck. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You can know if the red stuff is iron or bacteria by looking at the toilet.  If you have a pink ring at the water level that won't come off even though you clean it regularly, it's iron.  We have to clean the toilets with special hard water cleanser to get it off.

Love cos's suggestion of throwing in other stuff that will help agitate the crud off.  dkb's is fabric so hot.  Fram, I've washed the plastic liners in teh wash, and it works nicely, but, again, because we have hard water it spots.  I wonder if you can put JetDry in the washing machine?!

(By the way, I can't get to the rest of the forums, only Weddings.  I know someone posted to the "How's the Pup" thread because I subscribe to it, but I can't read the new posts.)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I'm having the same issue with the forums.

In Response to Re: OT - cleaning the shower curtain liner:
    (By the way, I can't get to the rest of the forums, only Weddings.  I know someone posted to the "How's the Pup" thread because I subscribe to it, but I can't read the new posts.)
    Posted by kargiver

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm having the same issue with the forums. In Response to Re: OT - cleaning the shower curtain liner :
    Posted by pinkkittie27

Good to know.  Irritating, huh?!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

I haven't been able to get on here since I posted this thread this morning.  So frustrating.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'll let you know tomorrow how they come out.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

My liners are nice and clean!  I just used detergent in hot water (no bleach because my liners aren't white).  I did, however, spray the bottom with my Clorox spray with mildew and stain removed before I put them in the wash.  I also took your advice, Cos, and threw some dish towels in with it.  Everything came out just fine and I didn't have to soak them.  No more mold and mildew!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Or buy new ones at Christmas Tree Shop for a buck. 
    Posted by cosmogirl

Reduce, reuse, recycle, Cos!!!!!!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

My liners are nice and clean!  I just used detergent in hot water (no bleach because my liners aren't white).  I did, however, spray the bottom with my Clorox spray with mildew and stain removed before I put them in the wash.  I also took your advice, Cos, and threw some dish towels in with it.  Everything came out just fine and I didn't have to soak them.  No more mold and mildew!
    Posted by dkb6248

YAY!!  Glad to help. :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Fra, I agree of course but when your shower curtain has gone technicolor, it's time to buy a new one!!!!

Of course, I guess I could save all the plastic bags that the newspapers come in and braid them together to use for a lovely shower curtain liner!  That would be more ecologically sound! 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I thought the whole point of a fabric liner was that you can wash it and reuse it as opposed to throwing it out like the plastic ones?

The most ecologically sound thing to do would be to read the news online as opposed to having the paper delivered.

Any plastic bags I get, I save and use them when I walk the dog. I also poke hole sin them and use them as litter box liners

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Well, I'm lucky that I have glass doors in all of our showers.  However, when I did have shower curtains, I'm in the group of "toss 'em when they get dirty."

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

I like the fabric liner because they are washable and they seem to take up less space in the shower since they are thinner and not as stiff as the plastic.  I also wash it because it was expensive.  Like Fram, I have claw foot tubs and I found a liner that went around the whole tub, instead of using 3 or 4 of the regular sized ones. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

A claw-foot tub? I'm so jealous!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

A claw-foot tub? I'm so jealous!!!
    Posted by pinkkittie27

Something tells me that when we buy a house, it won't have as much character as this apartment!!  Clawfoot tub, all kinds of moulding (sp?), sconces in the living room.  (But then I won't have to buy 3 shower curtain liners either :o)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

And, nice creative thinking Cos!

I'm so glad that Stop&Shop collects/recycles plastic bags now.  I am so sick of having 642 of them under my kitchen sink.  (Even though we use reusable bags, we somehow end up with a bunch of plastic!)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I have to admit, that I was one of those who bought the cheapest liner I could get  and changed it with a new, cheap one - whenever needed. My "pat on the back" was, that I saved water by not washing it several times and not adding more detergent and chloride to the environment. I am a stout "green" person, but sometimes you have to take your picks.
    When we build our new home, glass doors were a must.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

Ugg I cannot wait to get rid of my glass doors they are such a pain in the @ss to clean they never seem to be totally clean unless I get in the tub and carefully move the doors to get all the clenser off.  And where they overlap it is a pain to make sure they stay clean of mold. 

I like a nice curtain, and the idea of a cloth liner seems odd to me. I keep thinking that the liner would get wet and then that would get the outer curtain wet and then what is the point?  But maybe if I made one out of oil cloth.....hrrrm.  It is all moot for me because of those stupid doors.

I hate cleaning the tub because of the track for the doors.  And if we have kids giving them a bath and leaning over that is not going to be cool. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Wendy I agree w/you about the tubs and doors, that's why I leave them to the cleaning lady, lol.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I agree with you Wendy, glass doors are a pain, when you have children in the tub.
    I used to clean my glass doors with Johnson's Baby Oil. It cleaned like a charm (just think what it does to babies) and the doors stayed cleaner longer. Now I use Method's Tub and Tile cleaner. Just spray it on and wipe it off. It is a great product. No nasty odor, no gloves needed - and environmentally safe.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

I like a nice curtain, and the idea of a cloth liner seems odd to me. I keep thinking that the liner would get wet and then that would get the outer curtain wet and then what is the point?  But maybe if I made one out of oil cloth.....hrrrm.  It is all moot for me because of those stupid doors. I hate cleaning the tub because of the track for the doors.  And if we have kids giving them a bath and leaning over that is not going to be cool. 
    Posted by wendy98

They are generally made out of polyester so they repel water.  No one would use them if they got everything wet.

I too hated when we had glass doors.  It was impossible to keep the track clean.  I'm going to an open house in a few minutes that we think may be the one.  I hope I don't find glass shower doors.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

My "pat on the back" was, that I saved water by not washing it several times and not adding more detergent and chloride to the environment. I am a stout "green" person, but sometimes you have to take your picks. When we build our new home, glass doors were a must.
    Posted by pingo

I wash mine with natural detergent and I don't use bleach. I did spray the bottom with some bathroom cleaner, but I think if I wash them more often than once a year I wouldn't even need that.  I'd prefer to use a little more water than have more plastic in a landfill.

Sections
Shortcuts