OT - Crazy in-law stories!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

OT - Crazy in-law stories!

It's Friday, it should be great for some laughs, and maybe Goodness will feel better knowing that we ALL have crazy in-laws!  :)

Here's my wedding-related MIL story.  So, MIL knows our DJ, as he's a friend of DH.  She ran into him a couple days after she knew we met with him to go over songs, schedule, etc.  Keep in mind that my parents paid for the DJ; she didn't.  And she had never said a word about songs to us at all.  Here is how their conversation went, according to the DJ:

MIL:  "So, did they give you a list of songs that you aren't supposed to play?"
    DJ:  "Yes, they did, that's pretty standard."
    MIL:  "What was on it?"
    DJ:  "Ahhh...Hokey Pokey, Chicken Dance, Celebration..."
    MIL (totally p!ssed off):  "CELEBRATION???  WHAT???  It is NOT all about Mr. kmt that day, you know!"
    DJ:  "Um...ahhh..."

Ok crazy lady, first of all, it IS all about Mr. kmt that day; it's his wedding!  Secondly, he had nothing to do with the "do not play" list.  It was all me.  :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Re: OT - Crazy in-law stories!

Oh God Kmt, I love you....but you just opened a whole can of worms!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Well, the only thing I can think of off the top of my head is this:

I am laying on the couch watching TV and FI is working out on the elliptical in the other room. His phone rings, it's his mother (shocker). 10 minutes later, his phone rings again, mother again....15 minutes after that it rings again, I answer.
    "Hi Mrs. _______, how are you, blah blah blah, _________ is working out right now, I'll have him call you when he is done."
    "Oh, hun, no need, just give him the phone and he can talk to me while working out."

Um...no.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

I'm of a different heritage, and I want my heritage's music played at my wedding.  She has a HUGE issue with this insisting that people won't dance, they'll leave, they "won't appreciate it". 

I've been to many clubs where they've played different heritage's music... I always manage to dance and have fun.  Also, half the guests are of my heritage, too... so, they'll "appreciate it".

I told her and my fiance that we're having it whether they like it or not.  I was born in a different country and grew up with this culture my whole life.  That is NOT going to change for my wedding day.  I'm having the music whether you like it or not! 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Goodness, what heritage???

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

[QUOTE]Oh God Kmt, I love you....but you just opened a whole can of worms!!!
    Posted by Sept2010Bride[/QUOTE]

Exactly!  That was my intention!  :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

OMG....#1 country in this WHOLE world I want to visit!!!!!!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

In Response to Re: OT - Crazy in-law stories!:
    [QUOTE]OMG....#1 country in this WHOLE world I want to visit!!!!!!!!

I'm deleting that now that you've seen it.  I'm feeling weird.  Like, my FMIL can see me!!  Ha, ha.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

[QUOTE]OMG....#1 country in this WHOLE world I want to visit!!!!!!!!

LIZ - check your email!

Sorry, no crazy inlaw stories from me.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

That's fine.  I'm not the first, and most certainly won't be the last :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Goodness, I highly doubt your FMIL is on these forums. Mine barely knows how to reply to an email.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

She lives in front of her computer.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Oh well, in that case.....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

My MIL is on Facebook.  It was a sad, sad day when she sent me a friend request.

And now, 90% of her conversations start with "I saw on Facebook that you ____."  Great.  Just great.  LOL!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[QUOTE]My MIL is on Facebook.  It was a sad, sad day when she sent me a friend request. And now, 90% of her conversations start with "I saw on Facebook that you ____."  Great.  Just great.  LOL!
    Posted by kmt09[/QUOTE]

You know you can seriously limit what she can/can't see, right?  I haven't done it yet, but I figure that, eventually, one of my sisters will point out that a great deal of what I post isn't exactly appopriate for their children's viewing pleasure.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

[QUOTE]My MIL is on Facebook.  It was a sad, sad day when she sent me a friend request. And now, 90% of her conversations start with "I saw on Facebook that you ____."  Great.  Just great.  LOL!
    Posted by kmt09[/QUOTE]

SO funny.  Aw, man.  Sorry, I've gotta laugh at that.  That's what my mother keeps telling me to do.  Whenever something's starting to irk me, just laugh.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

My sis-in-law is on FB, so my brother signs on her name to see what I'm up to. Whatever, he was WAYYYY more crazy than I ever was.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: OT - Crazy in-law stories! : You know you can seriously limit what she can/can't see, right?  I haven't done it yet, but I figure that, eventually, one of my sisters will point out that a great deal of what I post isn't exactly appopriate for their children's viewing pleasure.
    Posted by lucy7368[/QUOTE]

Yes, I know I can set the privacy settings for her somehow, but I haven't really bothered to look into it yet.  In a way, I guess it's good because it makes me stop and think before I post anything.  If it's not appropriate for her to see, it probably shouldn't be plastered all over the internet anyway.

But she is a total Facebook stalker.  Haha!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from miss-cellaneousJones. Show miss-cellaneousJones's posts

Oh geesh, well thankfully I truly adore my mother-in-law, we get along great, always have and hopefully always will. DH's parents are highly supportive of pretty much anything DH and I mention.
    BUT, it a prior life, in a land far far away, I was married to another gentleman...A gentleman who's parents were absolutely BONKERS, especially his mother. The laundry list of crazy instances that occured between myself and DH (at the time) and his parents is too long to dive into but two distinct crazy conversations ended with his mother saying the following to us:

"Ya know, you're lucky we let you guys get married in a Catholic church" (I was raised catholic and therefore we got married in the Catholic chuch that I was brought up in!)
    And, before we were even engaged she told us that she would "absolutely be homeschooling our future children" (I was like....yeah? NO!)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

So I have a story that still drives me a little nuts but I'm working on getting over it.  And quickly because my FMIL is coming to stay with FI and I for two nights starting tonight.

We had a particularly awful weekend with the FIL's where my FMIL disagreed with every decision we've made regarding the wedding.  We left not exactly speaking to them.  After a few days my FI decided to call his parents and discuss the previous weekend and how we move on from here.  After a 2 hour phone conversations (which occurred while I was not home) my FIL's ended things with "Just so you know, we don't agree with the big wedding you're having.  We think that in this economy you should elope and use any money we (and my parents), were going to spend on the wedding for a house."  They also think that it's selfish that we are spending all this money "to throw a party for ourselves." UMMMM What???

Talk about a totally inappropriate comment.  They said this a little late considering FI and I, as well as my parents, have already dished out a lot of money in deposits.  Also, FI is their only child and I'm pretty sure they would be upset if we ran off and eloped.  And a final thing, over half of our guest list (230 people) is theirs and FMIL was arguing about me cutting people. 

Can you tell I'm still a little bitter?  Isn't the whole point of a wedding to celebrate our love with our friends and family? How is this selfish?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Oh yeah CLC because you invented the wedding tradition.  You're the only couple in history to spend a lot of money on a party for yourselves.  Hopefully their attitude will pass!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

My MIL and her family will argue for hours over any little thing.
    Where to go to dinner, who should drive, who's car to take, who was int hat one movie they saw, who they went to that one dinner with, what eexactly it was that was said that was funny.
    Anytime I'm with DH and his brother and sister and their mother, if they try to tell a story about their childhood it becomes a giant argument over the details of what exactly was said and who was there.
    It drives me insane.

Some things MIL has said to me
    "I hope when you have kids that you have twins so I won't have to share with your parents."
    "When are you guys going to have kids?" (she started asking me that 6 months after DH and I started dating- before we were married.)
    "Of course I give into their tantrums, what am I going to do? Listen to them cry and scream?" (well YEAH! if you want them to learn that they're not going to always get their way, you do!)
    "If you have a boy and name him Conrad (her father) I'll give you $5k."

MIL also bought naming rights to her first grandchild. She gave my SIL a week-long vacation anywhere she wanted if she got to name the baby. SIL took it.
    MIL fought really hard to buy naimg rights to the second grandchild, but SIL didn't give in that time. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scorpio75. Show Scorpio75's posts

She bought naming rights?  That is really funny in a sad kind of way.

I am very glad that my MIL is so "normal" in comparison.  The worst thing she has done is she likes to keep refilling my wine glass, and that is not exactly a hanging offense.Smile

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Pink, did she name the kid something wretched? Oh man. DH and I will be the only people naming our children.

PS: Is it weird that our guinea pig's name is Jake and that happens to be my favorite boy's name? Like, if we had a son (post-Jake) and named him Jake (but didn't name him after our guinea pig), would that be weird?

Even if it is, I think I'm going to do it anyway.

Laughing

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

I have to ask... what did the MIL name the first child?  Or, have they not had any yet?

How funny would it be if they kept selling the name rights, but had already decided not to have kids?  Ha!

But it is actually, quite sad.  Poor kids....

Sections
Shortcuts